• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Judge coins for grading submission

11 posts in this topic

Hello, I'm new to collecting. My father collected for years just sifting through circulated coins. I just recently fell into collecting almost accidentally, in part by acquiring a 3rd of his collection and the other because of buying and selling silver bullion on ebay. Combine the 2 and im now addicted to coin collecting. 

My question is how can someone new judge if a coin should be submitted for grading. I recently acquired some coins from 4th tier grading companies (some Google can't even find) the coins have higher grades but look as though they would grade fairly well. I also have some raw coins that I feel will grade well also. 

I just don't want to submit for grading only to find out i just spent all those submission fees on a $10 coin. 

Thank you in advance for your responses. 

You can post some pictures of your coins here for opinions.  There is no big hurry, so I wouldn't rush into sending them.  Keep studying, examine as many graded coins as you can and try to improve your grading skills.  Until you are ready to do it on your own it would be best to ask for opinions.

I would advise against having any of these graded, with one possible exception. There is a 1961 Franklin proof doubled die, which is quite subtle, if memory serves, yet paradoxically brings a nice premium. This photo is a tad blurry. Read up on that doubled die and carefully examine yours for it. If you have it, that I’d have graded.

On 9/7/2020 at 10:05 AM, Rdietrick said:

My question is how can someone new judge if a coin should be submitted for grading.

He should spend some time with the books, and spend a lot of time at shops and shows looking at certified coins closely trying to determine why they graded them the way they did.  After a few years of this he will now be ready to do his first few submissions to test his skills in the real world and so if he has a handle on what he is doing, or if he needs a few more years of practice.  Grading ability, especially in the MS grades, is NOT a skill you acquire overnight.  And by the time they are able to judge if a coin should be submitted for grading, they won't be new anymore.

And I woud agree that most likely these coins are NOT worth having graded

On 9/7/2020 at 10:05 AM, Rdietrick said:

I recently acquired some coins from 4th tier grading companies (some Google can't even find) the coins have higher grades but look as though they would grade fairly well.

Coins from fourth tier services will almost always be overgraded.  And please take no offense but you have already indicated you are new, the chances are good your judgement that they would "grade fairly well", is questionable.

And I would agree with the others, none of those are worth slabbing.  They would be worth less after the slabbing than the slabbing fees would be.