• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this coin 1848 Cent Real?

6 posts in this topic

I bought this at a local coin shop for $3 and do not know much about it. I'm hoping it's real but the way it looks makes me skeptical. The abbreviations D.N.C are written on the front meaning Did Not Cross I believe, but I am unsure still as to what that means too. I'm hoping I didn't waste money buying this but hey if I did, $3 is just $3. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks.

20200903_135638.jpg

20200903_135647_001.jpg

Welcome to the boards, from what I can see the coin looks authentic, there is a small date that is a known counterfeit but your coin date numbers look normal.  If you have a good scale you could weigh it and measure the coin then compare with what those should be.  Not sure if the initials D.N.C. refer to "did not cross" as the condition of the coin would not make it a very good candidate for slabbing considering the costs to grade and slab would be more than the coin is worth.  Could be some inventory code the seller uses also.

Welcome to the world of coin collecting.

I can't determine what D.N.C. might mean, but it looks quite authentic with heavy wear and some pitting, but at least a natural look for its age, and I don't see any nasty edge dings (that's always nice). I'd have paid $3 for it.

A typical 1848 copper cent in Good condition; some corrosion and verdigris as is typical. $3 is probably a fair price. If you don't have a copy of the Guide Book to United States Coins, now is the time to buy one.

Maybe D.N.C. indicates "do not certify"....  it's a nifty coin and well worth $3 or so, but obviously at that value, a dealer might want to indicate to his less-knowledgeable employees not to submit it for certification.  But I'm totally guessing and probably wrong - lol .