• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another Saint die question (stripe on eagle's head)
1 1

16 posts in this topic

I've seen this mark on the eagle's head a bunch of times on various years (mostly post war) but this one is the biggest/longest.

It's always in a near identical place & looks like a little shelf under higher magnification.

Did the collar release it and bounce it up into the hammer die or did the coin move during striking?

(Click the Pic to enlarge)

fjfjjygdgyj.thumb.png.7569341ca479576b48c563da8105ad58.png

dgh.png.3b61fd6f403cc0c64133039ca4f17c6d.png

Edited by Cat Bath

The rays on the enlargement are very irregular and there are bubbles and junk among the feathers. These look like defects in a plastic holder. The PCGS photo is OK but  would need higher resolution photos to examine.

Edited by RWB

Always difficult to tell much from a true view, I cannot determine if that area is raised or lower than the design.  Do you have the coin and can you tell which it is?

TrueViews are all I have most of the time but I do have this other one from the Simpson collection.

It's very unusual in that there is also a line under the eagle's chin.

I guess it's probably just regular machine doubling.

Click pic to enlarge.

liuillig.thumb.png.c221977663508ed4bef7b789f59667a5.png

Edited by Cat Bath

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The "crown" on the eagle's head appears to be metal pushed up when the coin was ejected from the dies. Similar pieces are sometimes submitted as "doubled-dies."

I want to examine a lot of coins before venturing a guess about cause. From only the photos above, I do not see the kind of scraping that would indicate an ejection (metal-against-metal) defect....but that's not definitive -- or even "finitive."

Edited by RWB

57 minutes ago, RWB said:

I want to examine a lot of coins before venturing a guess about cause. From only the photos above, I do not see the kind of scraping that would indicate an ejection (metal-against-metal) defect....but that's not definitive -- or even "finitive."

Any educated guesses ?  Uneducated guesses ? xD

Is it just a normal die doubling but it just happens to be on the beak ?

On 11/11/2020 at 9:24 AM, DWLange said:

The "crown" on the eagle's head appears to be metal pushed up when the coin was ejected from the dies. Similar pieces are sometimes submitted as "doubled-dies."

I can see how a slight torsional load might be introduced at over 100 tons pressure.

It might cause a very small rotation of the die when unloading & when the coin is in the process of popping out.

It could explain why the doubled die appearance only occurs on one side of the device.

Edited by Cat Bath

3 hours ago, Cat Bath said:

It could explain why the doubled die appearance only occurs on one side of the device.

So it could be/is a basic doubled die strike ?

And I thought that doubled die images usually/only occurred on 1 side of the coin ?