• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Missing Vam Morgan Silver Dollar

17 posts in this topic

I just recently sent in a 1886 Morgan with a doubled 18 digit and wrote down Vam-4 on the Invoice and NGC just labeled it as a Normie No Vam.

Sorta took my Value of being a Rare Coin away. Here's some pics of before and After. PCGS or ANACS wouldn't have done me like that.

we3892_c.jpg

we3892_a.jpg

RTERT.JPG

RTERTE.JPG

Edited by NevadaS&G

7 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Did you ask for variety attribution and pay the extra $15 fee? If you don't, they won't.

No didn't know that was mandatory, i just wrote it in under attributes. Wonder if i can send it back somehow. They could have charged me the 15 dollars I wouldn't have cared.

Edited by NevadaS&G

7 minutes ago, NevadaS&G said:

No didn't know that was mandatory, i just wrote it in under attributes. Wonder if i can send it back somehow

YIKES! I just double checked with the Variety Plus pages on this site. It seems that the VAM-4 on the 1886 Philly is not a variety that NGC recognizes at all, unless I missed it, which is possible.

Edited by VKurtB

4 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

YIKES! I just double checked with the Variety Plus pages on this site. It seems that the VAM-4 on the 1886 Philly is not a variety that NGC recognizes at all, unless I missed it, which is possible.

Your Right ! I should have done my homework a little better or Sent it back to PCGS or ANACS, they do recognize this Vam

Just now, NevadaS&G said:

Your Right ! I should have done my homework a little better or Sent it back to PCGS or ANACS, they do recognize this Vam

Personally, I am a fan of neither VAM's nor ANACS, but if I were the fan of either, I would be of the other. No one is as sharp on, or committed to VAM's as ANACS is.

2 hours ago, VKurtB said:

er. No one is as sharp on, or committed to VAM's as ANACS is.

Kurt is absolutely right on this  ANACS Attrib almost any variety for you.

It wasn't part of your question, but for me, that old ANACS slab would have been substantially more desirable.  I REALLY liked those small-format slabs, and yours was of the generation suspected of being able to create phenomenal toning.

2 hours ago, James_OldeTowne said:

It wasn't part of your question, but for me, that old ANACS slab would have been substantially more desirable.  I REALLY liked those small-format slabs, and yours was of the generation suspected of being able to create phenomenal toning.

Allow me to confirm that last bit. HUGE toning, much of it as ugly as sin.

From a VAM point of view the VAM-4 doesnteally command any premium as it is neither rare and or uncommon I / R3

What was c00l is the old anacs small slabs ...

Looks as though you ordered a straight crossover BUT they should have called you that they do not attribute the VAM-4

before breaking the slab. My opinion

1 hour ago, jgrinz said:

From a VAM point of view the VAM-4 doesnteally command any premium as it is neither rare and or uncommon I / R3

What was c00l is the old anacs small slabs ...

Looks as though you ordered a straight crossover BUT they should have called you that they do not attribute the VAM-4

Frown upon me if you wish but this one was a Crackout. The old Anacs holder was chipped & cracked along the back so I took her out and stuck her in a Flip and sent it off to NGC. I think if i sent it pcgs they may have given me a 64 but I'm no coin expert.

Edited by NevadaS&G

1 hour ago, jgrinz said:

Cannot be a crossover as NGC will only cross PCGS holdered coins anymore, all others have to be cracked by the submitter or at NGC and submitted raw.

24 minutes ago, NevadaS&G said:

Frown upon me if you wish but this one was a Crackout. The old Anacs holder was chipped & cracked along the back so I took her out and stuck her in a Flip and sent it off to NGC.

Nobody is frowning on you but you very likely lost a fair bit of value by cracking that slab, most of the value of that coin in that grade was the slab which is very desirable to slab collectors.  As you have discovered NGC does not recognize that VAM, They only recognize the top 100 and maybe a couple of others.  Your only recourse now if you really want that VAM on the label is to spend more money on a coin that you have already put a lot of money into by sending to one of the other two services.  Myself I'd just get a small round sticker, write VAM-4 on it slap it on the slab and call it good.

Thank you for your input, I will Crack it out again and Resubmit to pcgs and Spend more money. I can keep it for 20+ years and pass it on to my girl Sarah who's in the 6th grade. She :whee:will be the beneficiary of my mistakes

Edited by NevadaS&G

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

NGC attributes those VAM varieties included within the Top 100, Hot 50 and Hit List 40 extract lists. It also attributes all 1878 8TF and 7/8TF by VAM numbers under its VarietyPlus service.