• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Commemorative Apollo XI Coins

7 posts in this topic

Good day, I am trying to find out what year these two commemorative coins were struck  and by what mint. Haven't had much luck with google searches. They are both stamped 'made in canada' on the edge. 

There is also a weak strike with the word 'casey' on the second coin.

2.jpg

1.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

Edited by Terence:)

6 minutes ago, Morpheus1967 said:

Thanks .... at that price probably not silver then. Sure looks and feels like a bullion coin. The milk spots first got my attention they could be silver.  Need to put on the scale when I get home. 

Edited by Terence:)

There are a couple on ebay with the Ad Astera verbage.  One is priced quite a bit higher, but the guy posting it is a strange dude I have personally dealt with before.  One sold on the 23rd of this month for around $20 as well.  

Give it the old ice cube test and see what happens lol. 

You have two Apollo XI medals. These are a couple among thousands of design varieties. These two are at the low end of design quality and likely worth only melt, if made of silver

On 8/31/2020 at 9:45 PM, RWB said:

You have two Apollo XI medals. These are a couple among thousands of design varieties. These two are at the low end of design quality and likely worth only melt, if made of silver

Yup, somebody exhibited a pretty comprehensive set of this Apollo 11 stuff at Chicago in 2019 and got a decent placing with it. The exhibit benefitted from being the better of two exhibits that tried the same basic theme. I think it won First Place in the medals category. If memory serves, it wasn't too serious a contender for Best in Show. Now that the 50th anniversary year is over, some guys are selling their holdings to move on to "the next thing".