• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1895 PROOF MORGAN SILVER DOLLAR

18 posts in this topic

Until about 2 weeks ago I didn't know what a morgan silver dollar was. Now I have 5 of them.1879,1884,1886,1892, and 1895. When looking them up online, I noticed that the 1895 one is work money if there is no mint mark. Well mine does not have a mint mark. What do I do from here.

Welcome to the Forum

You can start by posting a clear, cropped photo of both sides so that someone can verify it's authenticity and condition. That will enable us to help you with your next step.

Sorry but your Morgan is a counterfeit. Even being out of focus you can see that the date is off  

This is a photo of a genuine 1895 Morgan showing all the detail. Perhaps you can compare yours to it. Things to look for are the date and the serifs on the wording and the shape of the end of the hair under the neck.

1895 morgan.jpg

Edited by Greenstang

This does not bode well for the OP. If the other coins came from the same source, they may all be fake, as well.

Good point. Suggest to OP that he shows a photo of the other Morgans as well. 

3 hours ago, Sdn said:

I will post all coins for your consideration. Like I said, I am not a collector, so don't know much about the coins.

How does a non-collector even acquire these? They don’t exactly fall from the sky during thunderstorms. 

4 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

How does a non-collector even acquire these? They don’t exactly fall from the sky during thunderstorms. 

Maybe inherited or a gift?  Whatever, I have a feeling the news will not be good.

Just now, Alex in PA. said:

Maybe inherited or a gift?  Whatever, I have a feeling the news will not be good.

Modern Chinese counterfeits as an inheritance or gift? That’s just sad. 

I work at a thrift store which supports our local community. A man came in wanting to sell some coins. I was not really interested in buying them, as I really know nothing about coins. One of our vendors said that the price of silver would cover the cost of what he wanted for the coins. $80.00 for 5 silver dollars, and 3 half dollars. I decided to give him the money, as he was in need of funds. All the money would go to the thrift store. We are not ones to prosper off of our donations, or buys. So, as it stands, weather we just helped someone out, or make money off any off the coins. At least we were able to help someone in need.

23 minutes ago, Sdn said:

I work at a thrift store which supports our local community. A man came in wanting to sell some coins. I was not really interested in buying them, as I really know nothing about coins. One of our vendors said that the price of silver would cover the cost of what he wanted for the coins. $80.00 for 5 silver dollars, and 3 half dollars. I decided to give him the money, as he was in need of funds. All the money would go to the thrift store. We are not ones to prosper off of our donations, or buys. So, as it stands, weather we just helped someone out, or make money off any off the coins. At least we were able to help someone in need.

Now I’m thinking none of them are real. I fear you’ve been soundly scammed. 

Edited by VKurtB

BTW, I had posted that I would send images of the other coins. My computer skills are not up to par. At this point I am not able to figure things out.