• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ngc/Iccs grading
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Anything that is not securely encapsulated is a problem waiting to happen ( switch outs etc ) 

NOT considered a WORLD WIDE top tier grading service. 

"ICCS encases coins in an inert (Polyethylene Terephthalate) envelope and is then sealed in a plastic flip. The ICCS grading certificate is sealed in the other side of the flip"

To the best of my knowledge NGC will only cross PCGS graded coins, all other TPG graded coins are cracked and treated as a raw submission.  I have never purchased a coin in an ICCS holder so I cannot comment on how successful submitters have been when taking coins out of those holders and submitting to NGC.  Grading is not a static scale and it has been proven that coins which have failed to grade at one point in time may (and do) get graded at a different point in time at both the two largest TPG's.

1 minute ago, jgrinz said:

Anything that is not securely encapsulated is a problem waiting to happen ( switch outs etc ) 

NOT considered a WORLD WIDE top tier grading service. 

"ICCS encases coins in an inert (Polyethylene Terephthalate) envelope and is then sealed in a plastic flip. The ICCS grading certificate is sealed in the other side of the flip"

But if you get an actual iccs coin how close is the crossover?

1 minute ago, Coinbuf said:

To the best of my knowledge NGC will only cross PCGS graded coins, all other TPG graded coins are cracked and treated as a raw submission.  I have never purchased a coin in an ICCS holder so I cannot comment on how successful submitters have been when taking coins out of those holders and submitting to NGC.  Grading is not a static scale and it has been proven that coins which have failed to grade at one point in time may (and do) get graded at a different point in time at both the two largest TPG's.

Thanks for your reply. Food for thought...🤔

3 minutes ago, Crruisercharlie said:

Thanks for your reply. Food for thought...🤔

Yes Coinbuf is correct as far as direct crossovers

I have quite a few ICCS coins (George VI buying spree many years ago), but have never resubmitted any. If you go to the Canadian forums on CCF there are lots of ICCS versus another TPG discussions. There seems to be a belief that the "old" ICCS was a lot stricter than the US graders, but that they sometimes ignore issues that would "detail" a coin in the US. Some also think that if you're selling in the Canadian market, it's better to leave it in the ICCS flip, i.e. they prefer it, because it's "more Canadian" I guess. If you follow the grading forum over there, it seems true that they (Canadian collectors) are stricter in general - I see a lot of stuff where everyone throws out VF grades that to me are high EF or even AU. There is some noise about newer ICCS grades being looser or more inconsistent. I have several old-graded MS60 coins that I think would get 62 or even 63 from NGC or ATS. Best to evaluate the individual coin, or maybe post images of an example here for opinions.

21 minutes ago, kbbpll said:

I have quite a few ICCS coins (George VI buying spree many years ago), but have never resubmitted any. If you go to the Canadian forums on CCF there are lots of ICCS versus another TPG discussions. There seems to be a belief that the "old" ICCS was a lot stricter than the US graders, but that they sometimes ignore issues that would "detail" a coin in the US. Some also think that if you're selling in the Canadian market, it's better to leave it in the ICCS flip, i.e. they prefer it, because it's "more Canadian" I guess. If you follow the grading forum over there, it seems true that they (Canadian collectors) are stricter in general - I see a lot of stuff where everyone throws out VF grades that to me are high EF or even AU. There is some noise about newer ICCS grades being looser or more inconsistent. I have several old-graded MS60 coins that I think would get 62 or even 63 from NGC or ATS. Best to evaluate the individual coin, or maybe post images of an example here for opinions.

Thanks for your input. I've only bought one ICCS coin (early george cent) and took it out for my raw set. Price was cheap and I didn't mind losing the grade. Pretty much an ngc guy anyway. Been thinking about buying more to submit and just wondered how close they were. Ngc canadian coin prices have gotten ridiculous.

PS  Could you give me a link for the CCF forums?

Edited by Crruisercharlie

5 hours ago, Crruisercharlie said:

Could you give me a link for the CCF forums?

Just search "coin community forum" and it's probably your first hit. There are 5 Canadian sub-forums.

Edit: as far as "Been thinking about buying more to submit", there was a rumor over there that a lot of coins from the Cook collection (graded ATS and auctioned by Heritage last year) were snapped up by dealers to crack out and resubmit into ICCS holders. Some presumably because they were "details" and they thought they would straight-grade at ICCS, but I could not get anyone on the forum to be specific about why. Lots of dealers hang out over there and they kind of go wink-wink at each other. But that's a case of the resubmit game in the other direction, opposite of your original question.

Edited by kbbpll