• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DDO? Or NO?

21 posts in this topic

Just showing  very closeup details is neither helpful nor dispositive when dIagnosing varieties, and contInuing to do so will only detract from your reputation here.

Opinion...NO

reason is that what looks to be a second D does not show the characteristics of double die, it is possible that is a re-punched mint mark but I have doubts.

My guess is this is a post 1982 Lincoln cent and the apparent doubling is a phenomenon of plating issues.

This is very much the same as the quizzes that @Insider did on another forum. I like what you did.

Well unlike others on here who have no sense of adventure and inability to have an open mind I wanted to show how much opinions differ.i purposely asked if it was a dd, waiting to see if someone brought up a possible repunched mark, which is what I thought. It would be a plating issue maybe, since it's a 92 penny but ...thanks for your encouragement

8 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Just showing  very closeup details is neither helpful nor dispositive when dIagnosing varieties, and contInuing to do so will only detract from your reputation here.

It's just a chance to start a debate over different opinions on the coin once you knew whatt it was, if I wanted a diagnosis I would have said so,respectively.sir...loosen up a little🤗

2 hours ago, Moxie15 said:

Opinion...NO

reason is that what looks to be a second D does not show the characteristics of double die, it is possible that is a re-punched mint mark but I have doubts.

My guess is this is a post 1982 Lincoln cent and the apparent doubling is a phenomenon of plating issues.

This is very much the same as the quizzes that @Insider did on another forum. I like what you did.

The image is not the best; however, the silver (zinc) color next to the "D" makes me think it's a common plating issue. 

The OP should be congratulated for his attempt at education.  Next time I'll suggest he post the coin's date.  As for showing the entire coin, IMO that is not necessary in most cases.  I don't normally look at the edge or reverse of a coin with an RPM.  Only exception is if I am looking for die markers.  

6 minutes ago, Insider said:

.  Next time I'll suggest he post the coin's date.  As for showing the entire coin, IMO that is not necessary in most cases. 

Seeing the date was my reason for asking for pictures of the whole coin. Knowing if it was pre- or post- 1982 or 1990 would have an effect on the answer. Also, putting the word "quiz" or something similar in the title would help make the purpose of the thread a lot more clear.

3 hours ago, Cjay stafford said:

It's just a chance to start a debate over different opinions on the coin once you knew whatt it was, if I wanted a diagnosis I would have said so,respectively.sir...loosen up a little🤗

But you asked if it's a doubled die obverse. How can anybody form an opinion about a doubled die obverse when you don't show the entire obverse? Perhaps you can understand the reaction you got. Clearly "DDO OR NO?" implies that you're asking for a specific diagnosis. Personally, I also don't find very useful these pictures of a computer screen of a 50-100x zoom of a tiny area of a coin, without showing anything else.

3 hours ago, Insider said:

The image is not the best; however, the silver (zinc) color next to the "D" makes me think it's a common plating issue. 

The OP should be congratulated for his attempt at education.  Next time I'll suggest he post the coin's date.  As for showing the entire coin, IMO that is not necessary in most cases.  I don't normally look at the edge or reverse of a coin with an RPM.  Only exception is if I am looking for die markers.  

This was not an attempt at education, the op asked a question "ddo or not" and then showed a photo of 10% of the coin's surface, he did not ask if this is an RPM.  Is that how you instruct students in a grading class, to only look at 10% of one side of the coin and ignore the rest as it is not necessary??  We ask new posters to provide photos of the full obv and rev because that is how coins are evaluated.  Nobody should ever make a determination about a coin from such a small area of the coin without seeing the full coin surface.  Case in point is the two recent threads here about a DDO which biased upon the original photos of only a small portion of the obv the op in each thread was advised only MD.  One post was a hoax as the op knew the coin was a DDO already in a TPG holder but did the photo a certain way just so he could throw mud.  In the other once photos were posted of the other parts of the coin it could be attributed as a true DDO.  Please stop posting such nonsense that a full photo of the obv and rev is not necessary; while at times for someone with your years of experience that may be true in a limited number of examples; however your post is a disservice to new collectors.

To the OP, I do not know if your post was just poorly worded or your intention was to deceive as was the case with another post recently.  Whatever the case please in the future provide clear in focus photos of both the obv and rev along with any closeups, you are far more likely to receive inconsistent and wrong answers otherwise.

Edited by Coinbuf

Well put Coinbuff.

Complete clear photos of both sides should be the norm when posting whether the OP thinks it is necessary or not. Many times there are markers on another part of the coin that can help with evaluation that the OP is unaware of.

Personally I have stopped replying to questions when only a partial part of the coin is shown. It is OK and appreciated to have a closeup of the area of concern along with complete photos.

23 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

This was not an attempt at education, the op asked a question "ddo or not" and then showed a photo of 10% of the coin's surface, he did not ask if this is an RPM.  Is that how you instruct students in a grading class, to only look at 10% of one side of the coin and ignore the rest as it is not necessary??  We ask new posters to provide photos of the full obv and rev because that is how coins are evaluated.  Nobody should ever make a determination about a coin from such a small area of the coin without seeing the full coin surface.  Case in point is the two recent threads here about a DDO which biased upon the original photos of only a small portion of the obv the op in each thread was advised only MD.  One post was a hoax as the op knew the coin was a DDO already in a TPG holder but did the photo a certain way just so he could throw mud.  In the other once photos were posted of the other parts of the coin it could be attributed as a true DDO.  Please stop posting such nonsense that a full photo of the obv and rev is not necessary; while at times for someone with your years of experience that may be true in a limited number of examples; however your post is a disservice to new collectors.

To the OP, I do not know if your post was just poorly worded or your intention was to deceive as was the case with another post recently.  Whatever the case please in the future provide clear in focus photos of both the obv and rev along with any closeups, you are far more likely to receive inconsistent and wrong answers otherwise.

You asked me this: " Is that how you instruct students in a grading class, to only look at 10% of one side of the coin and ignore the rest as it is not necessary?? 

My answer: Yes, yes, and sometimes.  :roflmao:

Wait until I start posting my quiz.  Then read my answer to the folks who wish to see the entire coin.  :whistle:

Edited by Insider

Just now, Insider said:

You asked me this: " Is that how you instruct students in a grading class, to only look at 10% of one side of the coin and ignore the rest as it is not necessary?? 

My answer: Yes, yes, and sometimes.  :roflmao:

Foolish and irresponsible.

2 minutes ago, Insider said:

Only in YOUR world.  :roflmao:

No in the real world not your fantasy world where Skip is all knowing.  Looks like you will be a cancer here just as you were ats.

Edited by Coinbuf

1 minute ago, Coinbuf said:

No in the real world not your fantasy world where Skip is all knowing.

Oh my, have we touched a nerve?  News flash:  You can do things your way and I'll do things my way.  Over the decades, I have it on excellent feedback (in the fantasy world you insist exists) that my methods work.  Wink, wink.

4 minutes ago, Moxie15 said:

@Coinbuf I do not understand your apparent dislike of what the OP did. I figured it out and I am just dumb farmer

In my opinion it was a useless post, the op asked one question but really wanted an answer to a completely different aspect, how in the world would anyone expect the answer they seek biased upon how the post was worded and what was shown.  It just seems a pointless thread to waste others time, what I really disliked was skip's reply.  As I now have him blocked here as I did ATS before he was banned I won't have to read skip's drivel anymore.

BTW nothing wrong with farmers, I know I like to eat.  :)

4 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

In my opinion it was a useless post, the op asked one question but really wanted an answer to a completely different aspect, how in the world would anyone expect the answer they seek biased upon how the post was worded and what was shown.  It just seems a pointless thread to waste others time, what I really disliked was skip's reply.  As I now have him blocked here as I did ATS before he was banned I won't have to read skip's drivel anymore.

BTW nothing wrong with farmers, I know I like to eat.  :)

Capitalized proper names are your friend, even for a nickname. Other than that, I disagree with Skip plenty, but I still want to read his views.