• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need some advice on lighting
1 1

13 posts in this topic

I am a collector of medals: World's columbian expo and Civil War Tokens. My problem is that I can see the detail on aluminum and white metal medals in my collection with no problem in any light. When it comes to my medals in BN and RB state, I need direct bright sunlight to see the details, which I only get in the mornings at my house. I need recommendations of what kind of lamps will give me a direct sunlight view any time of day. Any product suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks John

Look at a craft store such as Michael's, Joanne's, or Hobby Lobby for a 'daylight bulb' if unable to find one try a high intensity light bulb. OR since you are likely more computer savvy than I you could look online for one.

Back when taking good pictures of coins was more of a priority on this forum, there were several discussions about this very subject. The two lights that I remember being mentioned the most were the Ott lights that James mentioned above, and GE Reveal bulbs. The general consensus seemed to be that both gave accurate representation of natural light.

Still got 2 ott lights and use them daily.

On close ups you still have a fluorescent float but otherwise still good.

Taken with 2 OTTS on either side and Picture taken in the middle with my PHONE :-)

1.jpg.177a478f705ad82496dc4cec1dca5c21.jpg

2.jpg.587d22448f9e57b6d1eafbe9ff7de0fb.jpg

Edited by jgrinz

Thanks to all who have responded. Found  something that works for me . A 10000 lux light therapy lamp that mimics sunlight. The designs jump off the surface in this light.

4 hours ago, jgrinz said:

Still got 2 ott lights and use them daily.

On close ups you still have a fluorescent float but otherwise still good.

Taken with 2 OTTS on either side and Picture taken in the middle with my PHONE :-)

1.jpg.177a478f705ad82496dc4cec1dca5c21.jpg

2.jpg.587d22448f9e57b6d1eafbe9ff7de0fb.jpg

i have struggled to get any pictures even remotely this nice.  these are fantastic.  if i may ask, i looked for OTT lights but there seems to be a bunch of newer models now.  do you by chance have the model/ or pic of the ones you use?  or anyone else that uses OTT lights if they are able.  i have a bunch of nice doubles/ peace dollars that im going to sell if i can ever accurately photograph them.  thanks.

45 minutes ago, John5123 said:

Thanks to all who have responded. Found  something that works for me . A 10000 lux light therapy lamp that mimics sunlight. The designs jump off the surface in this light.

You will find lighting in ONE direction will not be adequate … Especially proof or Proof like coins 

But good luck can wait to see your pictures

1 minute ago, jgrinz said:

They are older ones 

Ott lights - OTL13TCG

My phone is an OLD LG G4 believe or not. 

thanks JGRINZ!  i just have one more quick question, what is the bulb?  some i have seen online look like newer style bulbs...the ones you have are incandescant?? thanks again

1 minute ago, Paul Hills said:

thanks JGRINZ!  i just have one more quick question, what is the bulb?  some i have seen online look like newer style bulbs...the ones you have are incandescant?? thanks again

No Fluorescent which is a little difficult to work with white balance and shadowing

but as you can see is workable. Newer ones MAY BE BETTER but the price is too. I think you can find these used for like

14 bux or so

My personal recommendation is buying a fiber optic light for a microscope. They usually have 2 arms and are 100% positionable. I used to work in mosquito control and used a nice set to help identify mosquitos. If they can light scales and other tiny parts they'll be great for coins.

Something like https://www.amazon.com/AmScope-HL250-AY-Dual-Gooseneck-Microscope-110V-120V/dp/B005EDVB4M/ref=sr_1_67?crid=2RNYUNAQ8KG7N&dchild=1&keywords=fiber+optic+microscope+light&qid=1598838293&sprefix=fiber+optic+microscope%2Caps%2C168&sr=8-67

Edited by Voelker