• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2005 California State Quarter
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I've got a 2005 California State Quarter that has been stamped too deep and it has a raised rim on one side and you can see the copper all along the outside of it. I looked this year coin up for errors and this type is not listed anywhere. Is this recognized as an error or is it just a piece of junk??

@SherylZ22 coinbuf has a most valid point. We generally don't give a post much time without photos of at least both sides and preferably close ups of the questioned area. That said I am responding because I THINK I know what you are talking about because I am sure to have sorted 1000's of State and Park Quarters and seen it 10p's of times, and it is called Collar Clash. It is quite common with the Quarter and the more you look at the more you'll see it. And so there is no extra value there. Most times it doesn't span the entire Rim and you will likely see more of the Copper color in that area of the Rim. 

BUT...without seeing your coin I really cant say for sure if that us what is going on or not. 

https://www.coinworld.com/news/precious-metals/_double-rims_-and-false-rims-arise-in-many-circumstances.html

On 8/25/2020 at 11:56 PM, KarenHolcomb said:

@SherylZ22 coinbuf has a most valid point. We generally don't give a post much time without photos of at least both sides and preferably close ups of the questioned area. That said I am responding because I THINK I know what you are talking about because I am sure to have sorted 1000's of State and Park Quarters and seen it 10p's of times, and it is called Collar Clash. It is quite common with the Quarter and the more you look at the more you'll see it. And so there is no extra value there. Most times it doesn't span the entire Rim and you will likely see more of the Copper color in that area of the Rim. 

BUT...without seeing your coin I really cant say for sure if that us what is going on or not. 

https://www.coinworld.com/news/precious-metals/_double-rims_-and-false-rims-arise-in-many-circumstances.html

From reading the description, I was envisioning a "fin" like that found on some 100 year anniversary gold "dimes" a few years back, but I think you've nailed it.