• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I’m pretty sure this is a DD
1 1

30 posts in this topic

Need to see more than just one small section of the coin, please post a full obv and rev.  I don't see enough in that first photo to call this a double die.

I’m not sure about the correct answer to this but is doubling required on all or most  of the obverse/reverse to be what one call a  true doubled die? Can a coin still be a DD even if only one word is doubled.  Obviously value play s role then

I’m not sure about the correct answer to this but is doubling required on all or most  of the obverse/reverse to be what one call a  true doubled die? Can a coin still be a DD even if only one word is doubled.  Obviously value play s role then

48 minutes ago, ChWitt said:

This is why coin forums frustrate me. It’s amazing how quickly some assume they are more of an expert than the person asking a question. MD huh?

So, you posted a blurry picture of one word on your coin - a picture with glare, and which has the light placed to cast a shadow on the doubled part, and you hoped to fool some members into calling it damage so you could then point out their error? Why would you be frustrated? You got the exact response you hoped to get. You should be thrilled.

2 hours ago, Paul Hills said:

i wouldnt expect too many replies to future posts.  Perhaps if you would have shown a proper picture of the "liberty" (which i still cant see) you may have gotten the response you were hoping for??  what is the purpose of this post???

Best guess, this is an alt for someone that got butt hurt before, no big deal.  Very funny thou as he hates coin forums but has several threads going, not sure how spending time on a forum that he hates is considered a good use of time.  doh!

Edited by Coinbuf

As probably the only person who feels the 1955 Lincoln cent set the gold standard for doubled-died coins, a bar so high no other coin to my knowledge has ever exceeded it in self-evident detail in the past sixty years, allow me to make a suggestion.

At all times if possible, submit for perusal here a clear, close-up of precisely what it is you wish others to consider including close-ups of the entire obverse and reverse sides.

It seems a TPGS has already awarded your coin a much coveted doubled-die classification as well as a high grade. No one on this Forum is in a position to challenge that designation whether it is observable to us, or not.

To be honest, I cannot help but admire the chutzpah of someone, who, fully vetted coin in hand, is curious to see what the experts have to say about it.  I still do not see the doubled-die effect, but perhaps the OP would accommodate those of us eager to see for themselves what a top-shelf TPGS saw in awarding the designation.

52 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

To be honest, I cannot help but admire the chutzpah of someone, who, fully vetted coin in hand, is curious to see what the experts have to say about it.  I still do not see the doubled-die effect, but perhaps the OP would accommodate those of us eager to see for themselves what a top-shelf TPGS saw in awarding the designation.

So you like cheap shot artists, noted.  And for your education here is a link to show the closeups needed to verify the coin, maybe you will notice that the cheap shot poster you are defending did not show those areas of the coin.

95 DD

11 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

So you like cheap shot artists, noted.  And for your education here is a link to show the closeups needed to verify the coin, maybe you will notice that the cheap shot poster you are defending did not show those areas of the coin.

95 DD

If we want to reinvigorate the Forum we must resist the urge to denigrate other collectors. The OP is now free to consult this excellent source of information and take his inquiry further from there as he wishes.

46 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

If we want to reinvigorate the Forum we must resist the urge to denigrate other collectors. The OP is now free to consult this excellent source of information and take his inquiry further from there as he wishes.

No!!!! Dammit, we ABSOLUTELY NEED to denigrate dishonest posters, of which the OP is one. Picturing an irrelevant part of the coin is dishonest in the context of diagnosis of a DD.

Edited by VKurtB

On 8/24/2020 at 12:39 PM, ChWitt said:

This is why coin forums frustrate me. It’s amazing how quickly some assume they are more of an expert than the person asking a question. MD huh? image.thumb.jpg.fae1d55c7c18b524aec96402ad43bc06.jpg

Honestly, chwitt that was wrong. The guy's and gals in here are trying to help people much as the can on there coin's. And people like yourself messin up for others,  especially when were being honest. No wonder the experience one's in here have such a hard time giving the correct answers. If you would have complied with showing what they asked , you wouldn't have to be a individual trying to be a step ahead on everyone. With this being said, like a couple of people saying, your probably not going to get responses. That's why when you post a coin ,be clear on what you're asking and always show both sides of coin. You need to read Jkk inquiry post. You just might learn something. Wow, you need help bud. And it doesn't look like you're going to get here. Just saying. 

8 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Why do you feel that reinvigorating the forum with dishonest and unscrupulous members is a positive for the forum and its members. 

3 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

Why do you feel that reinvigorating the forum with dishonest and unscrupulous members is a positive for the forum and its members. 

It is like anything else in life.  The members of substance, those with knowledge and experience and a recognized expertise, will always prevail. Those who do not, will fall by the wayside. It is not every day, a young woman, a self-described newbie, let's on that she drops a coin on concrete to adjudge its ring quality.  This is the type of inexperience that allows the more seasoned collector to jump in and offer some sage advice. All collectors are human. And as such, they make errors. I do not take anything personally. Some even have ulterior motives. (And use magnified fonts.) It's okay.  Truth stamped into the ground will rise again. And calling people trolls, rank amateurs, and "liars" adds nothing to the conversation.  Note that RWB, Insider, World Colonial, MarkFeld -- and my personal favorite, the mild-mannered Just Bob do not engage in such tactics, as a matter of course, and still manage to get their points across.  I, of course, lacking plausibility and even a smidgen of credibility and respectability, enjoy the rare luxury of making no pretense I have any, being buffeted around by jumping into and out of threads, as the mood moves me, at will. The beauty of it is each and every participant is free to draw his own conclusion. It's a wonderful life! 

Postscript:  Your Lincoln cent collection, with a concentration on copper issues, is without peer and something you can rightly be proud of.

13 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

It is like anything else in life.  The members of substance, those with knowledge and experience and a recognized expertise, will always prevail. Those who do not, will fall by the wayside. It is not every day, a young woman, a self-described newbie, let's on that she drops a coin on concrete to adjudge its ring quality.  This is the type of inexperience that allows the more seasoned collector to jump in and offer some sage advice. All collectors are human. And as such, they make errors. I do not take anything personally. Some even have ulterior motives. (And use magnified fonts.) It's okay.  Truth stamped into the ground will rise again. And calling people trolls, rank amateurs, and "liars" adds nothing to the conversation.  Note that RWB, Insider, World Colonial, MarkFeld -- and my personal favorite, the mild-mannered Just Bob do not engage in such tactics, as a matter of course, and still manage to get their points across.  I, of course, lacking plausibility and even a smidgen of credibility and respectability, enjoy the rare luxury of making no pretense I have any, being buffeted around by jumping into and out of threads, as the mood moves me, at will. The beauty of it is each and every participant is free to draw his own conclusion. It's a wonderful life! 

Postscript:  Your Lincoln cent collection, with a concentration on copper issues, is without peer and something you can rightly be proud of.

Misinformation is pure "poison" to this hobby, whether promoted by an innocent newbie, a troll, or a person with ill intent. And I'll not apologize for jumping on the back of anyone spreading misinformation, regardless of motive. Knowledge is power, and misinformation is the power to deceive.

Edited by VKurtB

40 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Misinformation is pure "poison" to this hobby, whether promoted by an innocent newbie, a troll, or a person with ill intent. And I'll not apologize for jumping on the back of anyone spreading misinformation, regardless of motive. Knowledge is power, and misinformation is the power to deceive.

The unvarnished, seldom if ever acknowledged truth is I secretly rather enjoy your bluster.  Unfortunately, my 3.7 aortal aneurism coupled with HBP, keeps me firmly in check.  I am strictly a spectator now but I do enjoy your posts, particularly the one regarding the pyx which was entirely new to me. Do keep up the good work!

15 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

It is like anything else in life.  The members of substance, those with knowledge and experience and a recognized expertise, will always prevail. Those who do not, will fall by the wayside. It is not every day, a young woman, a self-described newbie, let's on that she drops a coin on concrete to adjudge its ring quality. 

You are treating this op and another op as one and the same they are not, one used deceit and displayed low character while the other displayed misinformation and a lack of knowledge.   You are comparing apples to oranges which I find a very flawed approach.  As a general rule we do not admonish any poster or member until that person provides a reason for such activity.  The op in this thread was not honest or forthcoming about his request, once his true motive was known he opened himself up to any backlash.  In nature each creature has its place even the lowly cockroach, however most people do not want cockroaches in their home.

And calling people trolls, rank amateurs, and "liars" adds nothing to the conversation.  Note that RWB, Insider, World Colonial, MarkFeld -- and my personal favorite, the mild-mannered Just Bob do not engage in such tactics, as a matter of course, and still manage to get their points across.

They have their way you have yours and I have mine, none of these have to be the same nor will they as individual people have different reactions and approaches.  And in my experience the individuals that have these labels placed on them have earned those labels through their actions. 

Thank you.

43 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:
45 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

You are treating this op and another op as one and the same they are not, one used deceit and displayed low character while the other displayed misinformation and a lack of knowledge.   You are comparing apples to oranges which I find a very flawed approach.  As a general rule we do not admonish any poster or member until that person provides a reason for such activity.  The op in this thread was not honest or forthcoming about his request, once his true motive was known he opened himself up to any backlash.  In nature each creature has its place even the lowly cockroach, however most people do not want cockroaches in their home.

They have their way you have yours and I have mine, none of these have to be the same nor will they as individual people have different reactions and approaches.  And in my experience the individuals that have these labels placed on them have earned those labels through their actions. 

Thank you.

I hereby dedicate my 1909-S VDB penny to Coinbuf -- all five ounces with a classy reeded edge!20200827_151108.thumb.jpg.a2b28f91320cd2e510f03caacd06ed61.jpg

43 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

3 hours ago, VKurtB said:

You hit the nail on the head, Mr B. Future readers of this forum need to be given as much accurate information, and as little misinformation,  as possible.

2 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

I hereby dedicate my 1909-S VDB penny to Coinbuf -- all five ounces with a classy reeded edge!20200827_151108.thumb.jpg.a2b28f91320cd2e510f03caacd06ed61.jpg

For future reference if you going to post a coin, start your own thread it's easier to help you with your coin. And also show both sides of coin and crop your pics. Ahahahah lol. See this is what I mean, people know what they're supposed to do but don't want to comply what is being asked to do ,to make it easier on everyone. Is this a trick into seeing if anyone is going to call your bluff. So you can be like chickenwitts and get what you assuming getting, like some kind of action. and then run off and not be seen again. Hmmm. See I love to learn and I try to do the best I can to make that happen. So the question is what others are Probably wondering is that coin a VDB. See just saying. Nobody knows unless you provide proper information on that coin. :D

Out of curiosity, I checked the certification number on the gentleman's coin and, not surprisingly, found over 6.4 Billion of that date were minted.  Of those, some 2800 were graded MS 68 RD, with only 30 graded higher. But interestingly, though PCGS pegs the value at $150. per their price guide, there are two sellers out there one of whom is requesting $140. for his example while another with a 68+ is requesting $1,050.  [An MS 69 RD is going for $4,999.]  When you, the collector, are urged to exercise "due diligence," this serves as a good example why.

1 minute ago, Hinkle said:

For future reference if you going to post a coin, start your own thread it's easier to help you with your coin. And also show both sides of coin and crop your pics. Ahahahah lol. See this is what I mean, people know what they're supposed to do but don't want to comply what is being asked to do ,to make it easier on everyone. Is this a trick into seeing if anyone is going to call your bluff. So you can be like chickenwitts and get what you assuming getting, like some kind of action. and then run off and not be seen again. Hmmm. See I love to learn and I try to do the best I can to make that happen. So the question is what others are Probably wondering is that coin a VDB. See just saying. Nobody knows unless you provide proper information on that coin. :D

My dear Mr. Hinkle,  The dead give away is right there for all to see: it is a five-ounce monster with a superfluous, totally unnecessary, reeded edge. I am simply toasting Coinbuf for a well-received reply.  (I do not know if they still do so, but the Intaglio Mint reproduces well-known U.S. classic coins like the Gobrecht and 1804 dollars in .999 two-ounce silver sizes obviating the need to stamp their products COPY.)