100 Greatest Modern World Coins
1 1

83 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, mumu said:

Because there are 1 maybe 2 maybe 3 that belong on any such list.

Why would these coins deserve to be on such a list? Are they significant on the world stage? Are they extremely Rare and if so, is there a collector base for them of significant size? Are the innovated? Is there a great story associated with them? Do they have an unbelievably impressive design? Are they associated with an historic event? Have they sold at auction or by private treaty for an incredible amount? (disclaimer - while these are my criteria - they may not be the authors)

 And to have up to three of them in the top 100...

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Zebo said:

Why would these coins deserve to be on such a list? Are they significant on the world stage? Are they extremely Rare and if so, is there a collector base for them of significant size? Are the innovated? Is there a great story associated with them? Do they have an unbelievably impressive design? Are they associated with an historic event? Have they sold at auction or by private treaty for an incredible amount? (disclaimer - while these are my criteria - they may not be the authors)

 And to have up to three of them in the top 100...

I suppose the choice of the word "greatest" opens enough ambiguity that any criteria could be chosen in lieu of what most people consider the most important characteristic when liking a coin, beauty. Though I'm sure there are outliers in many subcategories, namely key date collectors.
Not sure what other reason greatest would be chosen here. No coins are winning the Super Bowl or curing cancer. What makes an inanimate object "great". Am I great man because of my scarcity?

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, mumu said:

I suppose the choice of the word "greatest" opens enough ambiguity that any criteria could be chosen in lieu of what most people consider the most important characteristic when liking a coin, beauty. Though I'm sure there are outliers in many subcategories, namely key date collectors.
Not sure what other reason greatest would be chosen here. No coins are winning the Super Bowl or curing cancer. What makes an inanimate object "great". Am I great man because of my scarcity?

The term greatest always is open to subjectivity.  Scarcity or rarity without demand is meaningless. To be considered great - some if not many of the criteria above should apply. There will never be 100% consensus on the list, but there can be a logical discussion.  

Please make a case for your omitted contenders and we can discuss how they may or may not meet  the criteria.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Zebo said:

The term greatest always is open to subjectivity.  Scarcity or rarity without demand is meaningless. To be considered great - some if not many of the criteria above should apply. There will never be 100% consensus on the list, but there can be a logical discussion.  

Please make a case for your omitted contenders and we can discuss how they may or may not meet  the criteria.

Well demand will be the debate against any coin I post. For which I would argue then we should just put the 1955 US double die on every set.
What is an example of a great coin on the list? Let me get an idea of what makes a coin great. I dont collect too many Uruguay coins. I dont think they are great. I would say there are less than 10 I would collect and my bias isnt tremendous towards them. But I can already see the dozens of coins with boring pictures of Queen Elizabeth's mug all over the list. To me this coin belongs on any modern beautiful coin based list. Greatest? Again, its not going to do your taxes or save a drowning cat from a pool so I dont know what makes a coin great.

 

Uru10cTemplateM.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

Haven't read the book or know what the criteria used was but I have to say that's a good looking coin. 

100 greatest (shrug), need more than looks/design. Any historical significance?

100 Most Beautiful Moderns, sure. 

It saved 20 kids from a salt mine. Very great coin

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MAULEMALL said:

even the bullion is cooler2000s_a.jpg.881f30a927bc2dd16d2780c5b9aa1c5e.jpg

I've seen better dragon designs on $2 scarves on Mott st. That "coin" is in the book?

Edited by mumu
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mumu said:

I've seen better dragon designs on $2 scarves on Mott st. That "coin" is in the book?

Really? Mott ??

had the juice... wasn't impressed

OIP.jpg

Edited by MAULEMALL
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MAULEMALL said:

Really? Mott ??

had the juice... wasn't impressed

OIP.jpg

You may be more familiar with Mott St as Chinatown NYC. The coin I posted has a mintage of 60. How many of your dragons were minted. I cant believe they put silver bullion in a book called the greatest 100 coins. What a waste of paper and ink.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mumu said:

You may be more familiar with Mott St as Chinatown NYC. The coin I posted has a mintage of 60. How many of your dragons were minted. I cant believe they put silver bullion in a book called the greatest 100 coins. What a waste of paper and ink.

NY is a sh1thole... I tend to stay away from the dump as the people you run into tend to be tedious and boorish ... 

The coin is nice but it's a shame that only 60 people thought it worthy of any attention...:whistle:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/28/2020 at 12:40 PM, mumu said:

Well demand will be the debate against any coin I post. For which I would argue then we should just put the 1955 US double die on every set.
What is an example of a great coin on the list? Let me get an idea of what makes a coin great. I dont collect too many Uruguay coins. I dont think they are great. I would say there are less than 10 I would collect and my bias isnt tremendous towards them. But I can already see the dozens of coins with boring pictures of Queen Elizabeth's mug all over the list. To me this coin belongs on any modern beautiful coin based list. Greatest? Again, its not going to do your taxes or save a drowning cat from a pool so I dont know what makes a coin great.

 

Uru10cTemplateM.jpg

First and foremost, I like the coin and it is attractive.  I am unfamiliar with it, but with a quick search I see that it was minted in Austria and has a mintage of two million - unless this is a special issue that I am unaware of and not mentioned in my research.

Secondly, pieces of your argument are not relevant. Taxes, super bowl, saving a cat? Greatness is determined by many factors and agreed upon by many people. You could say that nothing is great or everything is great - or something in-between. 

I do not believe that the Chinese bullion coin posted is in the book - but, I may be wrong because I skipped over it.

I will leave it up to you to research the list, borrow the book or look back within this thread to see some of the coins listed. Some are unique, others played an important role in the history of the world, some have a very significant collector base and others have sold for huge amounts of money. Most have very nice designs, some are innovated and most have several of the characteristics going for them. 

I do not agree with several on the list and would argue that others should be on the list, but there was a set of criteria that the author used along with research and expert opinions. 

In the end - it is a list of significant coins that is open to debate and published for the enjoyment of the masses.

 

 

Edited by Zebo
clarity
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, MAULEMALL said:

NY is a sh1thole... I tend to stay away from the dump as the people you run into tend to be tedious and boorish ... 

The coin is nice but it's a shame that only 60 people thought it worthy of any attention...:whistle:

 

60 mintage means 60 were made. Each person who wants a coin doesnt go and mint their own coin. Just a little FYI

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, mumu said:

60 mintage means 60 were made. Each person who wants a coin doesnt go and mint their own coin. Just a little FYI

Oh my.. Reaaaally.... only 60 were made? ... Well apparently they weren't made well....:whistle:

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MAULEMALL said:

Oh my.. Reaaaally.... only 60 were made? ... Well apparently they weren't made well....:whistle:

Wow man you really got me. They didnt mint the coins well in your opinion. Really sharp come back buddy. Keep working that IQ towards triple digits take your vitamins.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, mumu said:

Wow man you really got me. They didnt mint the coins well in your opinion. Really sharp come back buddy. Keep working that IQ towards triple digits take your vitamins.

Your "Coin" Is a commemorative/Bullion but you can't admit it.. What country makes 60 coins for commerce? 60 "coins" minted ... For what purpose?  Your disdain and anger is misplaced.. Maybe you should just learn to enjoy it for what it is... A Stamped Metal disc you find attractive..

If it needs to be in a book for you to enjoy it and satiate your ego then write one.

lol

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll post this and Try  to leave it be.. If you had or have Ever seen Boilers patterns you would never say a word about 60 "coins" deserving placement in a top 100 book. Boiler has some of the most beautiful and great coinage EVER.. Boiler's collection deserves a book on its own..

Boilers coins made me hook my computer to a 40in Vizio...

My bullion... Scat... My Morgans?... Scat ... All my collection was Scat ...I owned marbles compared to Boiler.. 

He really should sell a catalog of all his material...:cloud9:

Edited by MAULEMALL
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MAULEMALL said:

Your "Coin" Is a commemorative/Bullion but you can't admit it.. What country makes 60 coins for commerce? 60 "coins" minted ... For what purpose?  Your disdain and anger is misplaced.. Maybe you should just learn to enjoy it for what it is... A Stamped Metal disc you find attractive..

If it needs to be in a book for you to enjoy it and satiate your ego then write one.

lol

 

I asked a simple yes or no question. Whether any coins from a certain country made it. You demanded that I present this coin that you have since deemed unsuitable for your superior intellect to even discuss. You trashed on the greatest city in the world in the processs, while pushing chinese silver bullion rounds as great and significant. Ask yourself, who really is the nutjob here?

Edited by mumu
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mumu said:

You trashed on the greatest city in the world 

This right here proves you've been nowhere..

NawYak is a ehole and with all the real money leaving it will be Detroit in 5 years..lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MAULEMALL said:

This right here proves you've been nowhere..

NawYak is a ehole and with all the real money leaving it will be Detroit in 5 years..lol

Your commemorative/bullion is just plain.. 60 of them??.. Meh (shrug) ,who cares.. I mean it's not SBA dollar bad but ..lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, MAULEMALL said:

Your commemorative/bullion is just plain.. 60 of them??.. Meh (shrug) ,who cares.. I mean it's not SBA dollar bad but ..lol

You keep buying your pretty little dragon rounds buddy. The rest of us know what were doing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mumu said:

You keep buying your pretty little dragon rounds buddy. The rest of us know what were doing.

Meh.. My kid picked them out while I was at the coin shop.. They are hers.. Which means that my then 6 year old child had a better eye for coinage then you..lol

Thats not me saying it... It's the WHOLE WORLD And a very popular book..(thumbsu

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

To me "great" implies a creative and evocative design, well executed, and produced with the highest technical quality.

This has little in common with assumed rarity, cost, metal, origin, or economic importance. As for NCLT it is "legal tender" even if it's tough as nails... That's just the reality of manufacturing coins for revenue and not for commerce.

 

Edited by RWB
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1