• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I just figured out why some members post so much?
2 2

104 posts in this topic

A few years ago when this chat forum was at its height I would visit two maybe three times a day and even thou I didn't post a lot I've always greatly enjoyed the reading of others and always found them interesting. But when NGC made all these changes as others have mentioned in this thread I had a hard time dealing with this because I had trouble login on and when I was able too it would never save my login info so after a while of seeing the forum go to (down under) and I don't mean Australia  I just wandered off to other sites and the journal seemed to have suffered as well and to this day they are still pretty much dead with only a few handful of members that post as well as respond to others journals. I truly hope to see NGC forums get much better with more people posting.       

Edited by Iceman

I was just trying to remember some of the people that posted here that I haven't seen on in awhile.

who do you remember?

14 minutes ago, Zebo said:

I was just trying to remember some of the people that posted here that I haven't seen on in awhile.

who do you remember?

TruthTeller 2002     BushMan 2002     TomB 2002     K6AZ 2002     LucyBop 2002

Beijim 2002     Russ-migration 2003     daveperry 2002     MiikeKing 2002     Idhair 2002

Edited by Alex in PA.

Today:

Sunday 9 AM        CT Forum  50 members on line  NGC 8 members.  Couldn't find PCGS #'s but is was active.

Sunday 5 PM        CT Forum 59 members  NGC 12

We have a long way to go.   I'll be posting some stuff this week.   

20 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

TruthTeller 2002     BushMan 2002     TomB 2002     K6AZ 2002     LucyBop 2002

Beijim 2002     Russ-migration 2003     daveperry 2002     MiikeKing 2002     Idhair 2002

I remember....MikeKing  Idhair  TomB   Truth Teller  Beijim and BushMan  

Edited by Iceman

1 hour ago, Zebo said:

who do you remember?

Wooden Jefferson

cpm9ball     HiHoAudio    Boiler78     Mohawk    LogPotato    RexCat

On 8/23/2020 at 4:50 PM, Insider said:

Today:

Sunday 9 AM        CT Forum  50 members on line  NGC 8 members.  Couldn't find PCGS #'s but is was active.

Sunday 5 PM        CT Forum 59 members  NGC 12

We have a long way to go.   I'll be posting some stuff this week.   

I hope you can bring up the traffic here. I'll try to help.   

49 minutes ago, James_OldeTowne said:

I will help where possible.

Incidentally, I thought I'd been banned ATS, but apparently not.  I was just now able to login and post a reply to a thread.  The difference is, I have something like 30 posts there, and some 15-thousand here.  Guess which forum I like better?!

So what's not to like here already?

57 minutes ago, James_OldeTowne said:

Incidentally, I thought I'd been banned ATS, but apparently not.  I was just now able to login and post a reply to a thread.  The difference is, I have something like 30 posts there, and some 15-thousand here.  Guess which forum I like better?!

(thumbsu

NGC Wins Awards for Best Coin Columns and Social Media

This may be why this forum is not active.  So much going on in other NGC offerings.  

53 minutes ago, Insider said:

NGC Wins Awards for Best Coin Columns and Social Media

This may be why this forum is not active.  So much going on in other NGC offerings.  

The Instagram account is quite fetching.

8 hours ago, James_OldeTowne said:

Yea I have just a little more. ATS - 2,225  Here - 17,132  :grin:

21 hours ago, James_OldeTowne said:

Incidentally, I thought I'd been banned ATS, but apparently not.

I thought you were too, over that little flap over your avatar there.

What is starting to deter me away from here most times, is as I appreciate NGC's less strict rules, I think that letting newbies insult respectable members here when they are only giving opinions is nonsense. They come here to ask opinions/questions from the members and when they don't like the answers, they start insulting members. This is when a warning needs to be given and their thread shut down. I have pretty much avoided the "Newbie" part of this forum as that is a lot of what goes on there. Then when it starts trailing into the us coin section, we have to put up with the BS there. I'm done with it myself. I know older members from here, and I'm talking from 10 yrs or more, that have deserted this forum for these same reasons. If this stuff doesn't come under control  soon, all that will be left here are whiners crying because no one likes their toys!!

On 8/25/2020 at 10:03 AM, VKurtB said:

So what's not to like here already?

[Throw in a little John Philip Sousa to sweeten the pot and I'll be back sooner than you can utter TROLL!!!

On 8/25/2020 at 10:03 AM, VKurtB said:

2 hours ago, bsshog40 said:

What is starting to deter me away from here most times, is as I appreciate NGC's less strict rules, I think that letting newbies insult respectable members here when they are only giving opinions is nonsense. They come here to ask opinions/questions from the members and when they don't like the answers, they start insulting members. This is when a warning needs to be given and their thread shut down. I have pretty much avoided the "Newbie" part of this forum as that is a lot of what goes on there. Then when it starts trailing into the us coin section, we have to put up with the BS there. I'm done with it myself. I know older members from here, and I'm talking from 10 yrs or more, that have deserted this forum for these same reasons. If this stuff doesn't come under control  soon, all that will be left here are whiners crying because no one likes their toys!!

I'm sorry, I know how you feel.  I signed on in 2002 and, for this reason, I was gone by 2008.  You are right; NGC needs to tighten this forum up.  I don't know what you want to do but you have my support.  Just PM me and let me know what you'd like me to do or say.  At first this forum was the place to be.  Great friendly folks who were most knowledgeable and helpful.  Then in 2004 we had the War of the Words and things weren't like they used to be.  I hope you don't leave; I enjoy reading your comments.

54 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

I'm sorry, I know how you feel.  I signed on in 2002 and, for this reason, I was gone by 2008.  You are right; NGC needs to tighten this forum up.  I don't know what you want to do but you have my support.  Just PM me and let me know what you'd like me to do or say.  At first this forum was the place to be.  Great friendly folks who were most knowledgeable and helpful.  Then in 2004 we had the War of the Words and things weren't like they used to be.  I hope you don't leave; I enjoy reading your comments.

Lighten up.  Non-collectors post on every forum and many of them insult the members (often because a member is a little tough on them or cracks a joke).  There are very few things I would not tolerate.  I'm sorry folks cannot discuss politics in an agreeable way.  Politics influences our life and eventually the coin market more than most know.  I'd keep it in a separate section though.  

17 minutes ago, Insider said:

Lighten up.  Non-collectors post on every forum and many of them insult the members (often because a member is a little tough on them or cracks a joke).  There are very few things I would not tolerate.  I'm sorry folks cannot discuss politics in an agreeable way.  Politics influences our life and eventually the coin market more than most know.  I'd keep it in a separate section though.  

I've never had a 'political' discussion on this forum or any other coin forum.  I have a standing rule:  I do not discuss Religion or Politics with anyone at anytime.  If I wanted to discuss politics I'd sign up at CNN or Fox.  I'm here for the coin info.  The individual I replied to has a point and we should respect his right to see it out. 

14 minutes ago, Insider said:

Thats where you are somewhat wrong. When a thread starts to get out of hand ATS, it gets closed. There are too many people who don't have a clue about what they are asking, so they ask and then ridicule the person answering because they don't think he knows anything. There will always be those people, but it seems some of those threads should be shut down before there is too much verbal abuse. And politics is a whole different story. There is no influence with politics in todays world. Politics have turned to corruption and violence. Politics is in sports now and see what that has done! People engage in their hobbies to get away from that . It would be a disaster to interfere in the only escapes that some people have. 

"so they ask and then ridicule the person answering because they don't think he knows anything." 

This is where I agree with bsshog40.  While we should exercise a limit of patience where new people are concerned there is no reason, no excuse, for anyone on this forum to have to put up with ridicule or insolent behavior.

Here is a suggestion:  Many forums, much larger than this or the one ATS, have 'Volunteer Moderators'.  There are many here who would make a good moderator and then we would police our own behavior.  This is just a suggestion.

Thanks for your discussions.

I just use the Ignore User feature for this problem. I wish it would hide entire threads or new posts, but it works well enough. Part of the problem, recently anyway, is continuing to respond to the nonsense, and I'm guilty of that too. I've decided to no longer respond when I see it happening again. These people are only here for attention, so just don't give it to them. Sure, it makes for a less active forum, but who needs that kind of "activity"? There's other stuff to respond to, and more appreciative new members. I'll admit that I've gravitated towards CT lately, mostly just to read. And I always check CCF as well, without saying much. I posted a lot there for years, but got sick of a certain "bedrock" member who was constantly Mr. Know-It-All tossing backhanded insults at people.

16 hours ago, Alex in PA. said:

I've never had a 'political' discussion on this forum or any other coin forum.  I have a standing rule:  I do not discuss Religion or Politics with anyone at anytime.  If I wanted to discuss politics I'd sign up at CNN or Fox.  I'm here for the coin info.  The individual I replied to has a point and we should respect his right to see it out. 

Of course you don't.  It is against the rules to discuss those topics on coin forums.

16 hours ago, bsshog40 said:

Thats where you are somewhat wrong. When a thread starts to get out of hand ATS, it gets closed. There are too many people who don't have a clue about what they are asking, so they ask and then ridicule the person answering because they don't think he knows anything. There will always be those people, but it seems some of those threads should be shut down before there is too much verbal abuse. And politics is a whole different story. There is no influence with politics in todays world. Politics have turned to corruption and violence. Politics is in sports now and see what that has done! People engage in their hobbies to get away from that . It would be a disaster to interfere in the only escapes that some people have. 

Poor reason to shut down a discussion.  They have a saying at ATS: "Don't feed the troll."  Notice that members are no longer posting about the sandblasted dime?  An OP can post all he wishes.  If no one replies anymore the thread is effectively closed all by itself. 

In my limited experience, in a few cases, ALL the "true" experts and the "ex-pers" in their own mind have been wrong.  Best to let things work themselves out.  Silence kills threads.