• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I just figured out why some members post so much?
2 2

104 posts in this topic

There are undoubtedly those who will consider what I am about to say the epitome of heresy, nay, treasonous, but I am seriously considering taking a sabbatical.  I will look in from time to time but will refrain from commenting until... how's after the Labor Day weekend sound?  Alright then, it's settled.  See you all then.  All the best!

We use to have some pretty good activity years ago. It was still called sleepy hollow but we had some very good members and lots of topics discussed. We lost some good ones to the good Lord and others I guess have moved on. We still have some very knowledgeable members here but I never see enough topics that give most any reason to reply to. And then we get the occasional people that get on here, want a value of their coin or someone to validate something and then they disappear or they cause soo much conflict that it just chases others away.  The new format is somewhat condensed from what it use to be, and it just makes the forum a little less friendly in my opinion. Just because a certain subject is not everyone's cup of tea, there are those that look for specific topics that is more towards their collecting interests. Basically there is only one category "US, World, and Ancient Coins" that is suppose to suffice to everyone's preference. If there is only one category to visit, then activity will always be at a minimum. I like it that NGC is not as strict as ATS also, but I do wish they would close some topics that eventually just aggravate people and they go elsewhere for a break. You mentioned "Likes". There is an issue with Likes not showing who did the Like and was brought up a few times to NGC after the new software came alive and the issue was never fixed. I know I had sent them a reply more than once to please look in to the issue but nothing was fixed. Signatures no longer show up under members who post. We use to have links to our registry pages and post them in our sig line. Nothing anymore! I have yet to see a sig line on any member anymore. Like I stated, there was more here til most of it got taken away. You're only as busy as your forum is. JMO

3 hours ago, bsshog40 said:

Basically there is only one category "US, World, and Ancient Coins" that is suppose to suffice to everyone's preference.

I would separate them also because they are all important enough to stand alone.

The #1 forum has kicked out so many experts that it has diminished itself substantially.

I had no idea that they hand out trophies. Or that there's a "like" limit. Or points.

I don't know why anyone would give a #1 "best forum" to that other place. It's filled with sycophants, they intentionally delete evidence of their mistakes, and if you call them out on it, you get banned.

9 hours ago, kbbpll said:

I had no idea that they hand out trophies. Or that there's a "like" limit. Or points.

I don't know why anyone would give a #1 "best forum" to that other place. It's filled with sycophants, they intentionally delete evidence of their mistakes, and if you call them out on it, you get banned.

I had no idea that numismatic chat forums even existed until I saw David Lange posting.  About eight years later, around 2016 I joined one w/o revealing my ID.  I had missed a lot!  However, I couldn't believe some of the nonsense I was reading and went after several long-time "ex-perts" (in their own mind) spitting out nonsense.  I got a two week "vacation" for my tone. The head moderator figured out who I was and mentored me when I was allowed to return.  He advised me of the knowledge of very many posters.  Soon I joined the four major forums.  Each has its pluses and minuses,  I rated them for their content.  For example, Coin Talk is the best forum for ancient collectors.  Hopefully, the NGC ancient experts post over there also.  Coin Community is best for foreign coin collectors. 

Every forum is blessed with some of the top numismatists in the country.  IMO, they are exceptional because most of the top numismatists have neither the time nor the inclination to post on chat forums.  I've tried to recruit more but have only been successful twice. 

I rate the forums by these criteria:

1. # of users & activity.

2. Quality/experience/knowledge of the members.

3. # of well-known collectors/dealers posting.

4. Quality of the discussions.

5. Ease of use and add-on effects.

That's why the ATS is #1 in spite of a heavy hand.  I am banned from that forum.  That's why I started posting here.  I was given lots of rope to hang myself at ATS and several warnings.  Remember, we all post at the discretion of the company that provides this outlet for free expression and numismatic education.  I broke their rules.

Now I'm on a mission to help revitalize this place.  

Edited by Insider

1 hour ago, Insider said:

I had no idea that numismatic chat forums even existed until I saw David Lange posting.  About eight years later, around 2016 I joined one w/o revealing my ID.  I had missed a lot!  However, I couldn't believe some of the nonsense I was reading and went after several long-time "ex-perts" (in their own mind) spitting out nonsense.  I got a two week "vacation" for my tone. The head moderator figured out who I was and mentored me when I was allowed to return.  He advised me of the knowledge of very many posters.  Soon I joined the four major forums.  Each has its pluses and minuses,  I rated them for their content.  For example, Coin Talk is the best forum for ancient collectors.  Hopefully, the NGC ancient experts post over there also.  Coin Community is best for foreign coin collectors. 

Every forum is blessed with some of the top numismatists in the country.  IMO, they are exceptional because most of the top numismatists have neither the time nor the inclination to post on chat forums.  I've tried to recruit more but have only been successful twice. 

I rate the forums by these criteria:

1. # of users & activity.

2. Quality/experience/knowledge of the members.

3. # of well-known collectors/dealers posting.

4. Quality of the discussions.

5. Ease of use and add-on effects.

That's why the ATS is #1 in spite of a heavy hand.  I am banned from that forum.  That's why I started posting here.  I was given lots of rope to hang myself at ATS and several warnings.  Remember, we all post at the discretion of the company that provides this outlet for free expression and numismatic education.  I broke their rules.

Now I'm on a mission to help revitalize this place.  

Ha ha! I too am banned from one site, CT, but my record is squeaky clean both here and ATS. The head moderator’s ego over at CT finally got me to snap. What a maroon!

I was given lots of rope to hang myself at ATS and several warnings.  Remember, we all post at the discretion of the company that provides this outlet for free expression and numismatic education.  I broke their rules.

I broke their "growing list of unwritten rules" and was banned on the spot with no warning or timeout. They were clearly lying in wait for me, as it had been my first post there in over a month. The whole thing was very immature and unprofessional, but you are correct - we all post at the discretion of the company hosting the site. You are of course free to rank them how you wish. This forum gets more than its share of crazies, but that keeps it entertaining.

6 minutes ago, kbbpll said:

This forum gets more than its share of crazies, but that keeps it entertaining.

I will take that as an explicit invitation to return. I am, however, out officially until 12:01 am, 09-08-2020. 

23 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

I will take that as an explicit invitation to return. I am, however, out officially until 12:01 am, 09-08-2020. 

Ah yes, well, self-awareness is a key step on the way to enlightenment. xD

Edited by VKurtB

This is the only forum I am on. I don't even know who the other 3 are. I hesitate from posting at times because of some the comments I have seen, but I have stayed here because I have learned quite a bit from the majority of the members.

I actually like the combined US and World category. I didn't at first, but I would otherwise be bouncing back and forth between the two. I also enjoy the forum members here, much more than ATS. The moderators are also better here.

I do wish Bill Jones and a couple others would reappear - but that may or may not happen. 

13 hours ago, Zebo said:

I actually like the combined US and World category. I didn't at first, but I would otherwise be bouncing back and forth between the two. I also enjoy the forum members here, much more than ATS. The moderators are also better here.

I do wish Bill Jones and a couple others would reappear - but that may or may not happen. 

INVITE THEM OVER in a PM.  Tell them we are trying to revive the NGC forum and would appreciate them looking in and posting.

INVITE THEM OVER in a PM.  Tell them we are trying to revive the NGC forum and would appreciate them looking in and posting.

I've done that - but may try again.

I've invited a few to rejoin the forums here, we'll see if they take the bait or not.

What is the significance of days won or number of posts? I never did understand that.

as far as ranking forum sites. I prefer NGC's site the best. PCGS second - mainly because of some of the personalities. Coin Talk third and Coin Community fourth. Just my preference. 

I was watching the NLG awards and noticed - not only Roger's well deserved award, but that NGC received a few mentions. PCGS - Zero! Out of the two, NGC is being much more proactive in improving. 

I will be watching the ANA awards next. 

This is an exceedingly good site but the lack of traffic keeps people away.  

I've always figured it would eventually get a lot more posting.  

[Failure to attract good talent, is not an option, gentlemen.  Bear in mind, marginal types intermittently infest the thread -- and you've got Quintus Arrius biding his time patiently in the wings ready to make good on his threat to jump back into the fray in T minus sixteen days and counting...] 😄😉

5 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

[Failure to attract good talent, is not an option, gentlemen.  Bear in mind, marginal types intermittently infest the thread -- and you've got Quintus Arrius biding his time patiently in the wings ready to make good on his threat to jump back into the fray in T minus sixteen days and counting...] 😄😉

Are you really sure you want to go ???

30 minutes ago, cladking said:

This is an exceedingly good site but the lack of traffic keeps people away.  

I've always figured it would eventually get a lot more posting.  

EXACTLY!

Compared to the other sites (I and many others have posted this everywhere) the NGC forums are DEAD.   Anyone monitoring the four major forums will notice that on some days CT for example is also dead.   Then a thread becomes popular and it is off to the races for several days.  Often there are several very active discussions going on. 

How do you increase participation?  EASY, post interesting topics that are full of info and opinion.  Check out a political discussion on a political forum!  Unfortunately this type of discussion is not allowed on a coin forum.  

One of the best discussions on the major ATS concerned the Stone Mt. 50c coin.  Although it was eventually closed, I learned a lot about that coin and the attitudes of other members regarding the history of our country and its erasure going on presently.  Numismatic News just had a column about this coin and the ignorance surrounding its issue.   LOL, depending on what you believe/know my last sentence can be taken either way.  

So, tell your friends on other forums that this site is going to become active again with their help.  I'm going to start by introducing some of the active subjects being discussed elsewhere. 

With a light-handed approach to moderation, we the members can make this place more active.    

One suggestion for the NGC Grading room.  POST A WEEKLY GUESS THE GRADE of a coin that has some interesting things that might make it difficult for three professionals to reach a single grade.  At the end of the week ADD critique any responses that the members have not covered.    

Edited by Insider

16 minutes ago, numisport said:

Are you really sure you want to go ???

I don't know that I can. I am born to text and this site has gotten into my DNA. If this Forum hews toward the more academic, I will simply have to dispense with the theatrics. Let's see what happens.

One suggestion for the NGC Grading room.  POST A WEEKLY GUESS THE GRADE of a coin that has some interesting things that might make it difficult for three professionals to reach a single grade.  At the end o

This would be an interesting turn. Alternate between US and World coins and you have a winner.

highlighting certain collections, which NGC has started to do in their newsletter, and have the owner discuss the collection or take questions might be interesting. 

What else???

Ideas...

1.  Insider, start posting your quizzes.

2. CAC threads get a lot of traction on some boards

3. RWB  could post more threads like his thread about the 1794 dollar

4. stupid contests? other boards have lots of them for some reason

28 minutes ago, Moxie15 said:

Ideas...

1.  Insider, start posting your quizzes.

2. CAC threads get a lot of traction on some boards

3. RWB  could post more threads like his thread about the 1794 dollar

4. stupid contests? other boards have lots of them for some reason

Agree with Moxie15.  C'mon Insider, your quizzes on the board ATS were very interesting.  I think they would work well here and after a while draw in some new blood.

RWB posts some very educational topics.  Perhaps when we are on other sites we may 'advertise'.

Contests are fun and a great way to interact with our fellow NGC texters.

I'm willing to give it a try.

On 8/20/2020 at 7:13 AM, ldhair said:

This site has always been special to me. I still come here a few times per day to read what's new. The software change a few years back, cost us many members. Many were friends that I have now lost track of. Dena and all the folks at NGC have always been kind to me. 

I feel special having one of my threads pinned to the top for all these years. Wish more folks would join in but it takes a lot of active members to keep it moving along. 

We still have many important people in the hobby/business that post here but we need to attract more. I don't know how to do that but would love to help in any way possible. 

There's nothing but a bunch of Karen's ATS ...

They have to wear pcgs masks to post...

1 hour ago, Alex in PA. said:

I'm willing to give it a try.

Me, too!  An unprecedented opportunity to sound off on my French gold roosters!  Can't wait!

On 8/22/2020 at 2:24 PM, MAULEMALL said:

There's nothing but a bunch of Karen's ATS ...

They have to wear pcgs masks to post...

That's NUTS!  I'll bet you don't even post over there!  What "handle" do you use?  If you are not a member at ATS, I'll repeat - NUTS! 

There have been plenty of threads about PCGS mistakes on CU that have not been closed.  It is extremely RARE for either of the top two TPGS to admit authenticity errors and there have been some very big ones.  There is not one major grading service that has not slabbed over a half dozen counterfeits as genuine in the last five years and lots of obvious problem coins for some of us get straight graded.  Example: long deep scratches on old coins above VF.   

Edited by Insider