• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Maple Leaf Bullion question

6 posts in this topic

Hi, I've been considering picking up some bullion pieces and in addition to the Silver Eagles, I was considering some of the silver Maple Leafs. I came across some of the earlier ones from the late 80s and was curious about the finish. Were the planchets on these polished by hand before being struck? The finish in the flat areas on these usually has a vertical orientation but some seem to stray from this.

Also, I've been looking at a number of images, it seems that even ones that are still in the original mint packaging, take on a lot of toning. Were these early packages from the mint made from pvc? Anyways, I was wondering if there were many members who had some of these older ones in their collections and what your thoughts were on these. Thanks

Edited by Ziemba727

I can answer one aspect of the packaging question. I do believe that the early packages contained PVC, but what I know for certain is that whatever they were made of, they were VERY gas permeable, and not just through the seams/edges, but through the plastic itself.

Is that right. I take it you must have owned one of the early ones. Removing it from a box, the smell was very noticeable? Thanks for the response, VKurtB

Edited by Ziemba727

The earlier Maple Leaf came packaged in mylar pouches. In 2010  they became available in plastic tubes of 25.

The fields were polished until 2014 (I think that is correct, I'm just going by memory) when they introduced Radial Lines to the field as a security measure.

Yes, some of the pouches from around 2000 look like they could be mylar but the ones about ten years earlier earlier are a heavier material, not unlike shower curtain material. I appreciate the responses, everyone.