• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1953 D Lincoln Wheat Cent opinions
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I have this 1953 D Lincoln Wheat Cent that weighs 3.49 grams and appears to be Nickel Clad. I have tried using a magnet on it and it doesn't pick up the coin. Has anyone seen this particular year mint error?

20200816_162923.jpg

20200816_163010.jpg

20200816_163038.jpg

[It appears to be a copper cent mischievously spray-painted a silver that has worn off in spots... with evidence of an "exploded rim" on the top of the obverse.]

That makes sense and the tone must be electroplating, however the busted part was never attached. I will take a better look at it under my Digital Stereo Microscope to get better images. 

29 minutes ago, l.cutler said:

It is in a bezel, formerly some kind of jewelry piece.  You can see the edge of the bezel where it is peeling away at the top.

33 minutes ago, l.cutler said:

It is in a bezel, formerly some kind of jewelry piece.  You can see the edge of the bezel where it is peeling away at the top.

[Thank you for your thoughtful comments offered, as always, with a diplomatic, conciliatory demeanor!]

l.cutler's answer is on the money (See what I did there? :grin:)

For newbies and others who may not know, a bezel, in this sense, is a rim, usually made of metal, in which a gem, coin, or other object is placed, to facilitate its being mounted in a piece of jewelry.

On this coin, I believe that the "busted part" is where the piece was removed from its mounting.