• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1981 P Nickel opinions on coin?
1 1

33 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Brian319 said:

I am looking for opinions on this nickel and what should i do with it.

20200816_160723.jpg

20200816_160506.jpg

Catastrophic damage. Something VKurtB might be partial to for conducting his laboratory experiments. Me? I would probably carry it around for use as a pocket screwdriver.  I doubt any merchant would accept it for payment.

Looks like the president is projectile vomiting.punch a hole in it as to wear it as a symbol of the scrap that sometimes comes from the gov't.I have a dime I refer to as the "hannibal" dime that I'm going to get out and post now.

1 hour ago, Cjay stafford said:

Looks like the president is projectile vomiting.punch a hole in it as to wear it as a symbol of the scrap that sometimes comes from the gov't.I have a dime I refer to as the "hannibal" dime that I'm going to get out and post now.

"The gov't" had nothing to do with the horrible things that happened to this nickel.

2 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

"The gov't" had nothing to do with the horrible things that happened to this nickel.

Only Ratzie33 can solve the mystery of whether the nefarious cabal was involved but it is my understanding he signed a non-disclosure agreement.

5 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Only Ratzie33 can solve the mystery of whether the nefarious cabal was involved but it is my understanding he signed a non-disclosure agreement.

The very same Ratzie33 who has proclaimed a regular ol' Brazilian coin to be a 1918 pattern half dollar? That well-known expert?? [/sarcasm on steroids]

spend it or bring it to the bank for exchange. Worth 5 cents. Maybe Lucy will give you some advise at her little stand for it

Edited by Moxie15
spelt it wromg

1 minute ago, Jtnewell said:

Make a wish and toss it.

"I wish this nickel hadn't gotten so horribly damaged." [\FLING!]

Alex in PA i appreciate your answer.  Many give silly responses with more jokes than help. This coin was a mint damaged coin. I sent it off. It also sold to an undisclosed buyer for $950. Some junk huh! LoL. If the words had not stayed along the warped rim and also was badly deformed then sure after mint damage. A $949.95 profit isn't bad for something most said to throw away. One even made the notion that i should give it to another on her or annalise. Sorry no turnip truck rides today. I'm still learning but I'm no fool at all. I will continue to check on odd coins i have. By the way i just picked up a 1900 O/CC Morgan, 1896 O DMPL Morgan and S mint sets from 1955 to 1990 all Cameo finished. I also have some Philadelphia proof sets still in the individual bubble pack sleeves for each year. I have considered breaking them up one coin at a time to be sent and graded to achieve MS PR70. What is your opinion? I will put a photo or two. I sent a penny to get your valued opinion on.

20200822_005803.jpg

20200819_232510.jpg

20200819_232839.jpg

Well, here we go again. First of all, I'd change my phone # and then move, relocate. Or, if the buyer is happy, make some more. Do what you want with the proof sets, they're a dime a dozen. The 64 Lincoln, well, keep it. Good luck with whatever you decide.

51 minutes ago, Brian319 said:

This coin was a mint damaged coin. I sent it off. It also sold to an undisclosed buyer for $950. Some junk huh! LoL. If the words had not stayed along the warped rim and also was badly deformed then sure after mint damage. A $949.95 profit isn't bad for something most said to throw away.

Please elaborate on this. To whom did you "send it off?" If you sent this coin to a real authentication service, you should be able to provide some sort of documentation or serial number to back up your claim. Your claim that it sold to an "undisclosed buyer" sounds shady, also. Why do you not know who bought it? Was it sold at auction? If so, which auction company sold it, and when did it sell?

Sorry, but I am calling you out on this one. It is easy to make a preposterous claim, but, without backing it up, do not expect anyone to believe what you say.

On 8/16/2020 at 2:14 PM, Brian319 said:

I am looking for opinions on this nickel and what should i do with it.

20200816_160723.jpg

20200816_160506.jpg

I was once told, you can throw a coin through a car door and it would come out the other side. Well you know where that was going. Especially when I had a half grin on my face knowing what would happen to your car. This coin appears to that tragic incident until they finally figured it out. I don't know what won the car or the coin. By seeing the coin the way it is,  imagine what the car looks like. Ahahahah 

1 hour ago, Brian319 said:

Alex in PA i appreciate your answer.  Many give silly responses with more jokes than help. This coin was a mint damaged coin. I sent it off. It also sold to an undisclosed buyer for $950. Some junk huh! LoL. If the words had not stayed along the warped rim and also was badly deformed then sure after mint damage. A $949.95 profit isn't bad for something most said to throw away. One even made the notion that i should give it to another on her or annalise. Sorry no turnip truck rides today. I'm still learning but I'm no fool at all. I will continue to check on odd coins i have. By the way i just picked up a 1900 O/CC Morgan, 1896 O DMPL Morgan and S mint sets from 1955 to 1990 all Cameo finished. I also have some Philadelphia proof sets still in the individual bubble pack sleeves for each year. I have considered breaking them up one coin at a time to be sent and graded to achieve MS PR70. What is your opinion? I will put a photo or two. I sent a penny to get your valued opinion on.

20200822_005803.jpg

20200819_232510.jpg

20200819_232839.jpg

I’m calling out this entire post as a string of lies. There is no way on earth this is a mint error coin. Give me the address and/or phone number of where you “sent it in” and I’ll tell them they’re i-d-i-o-t-s. Because they are. 

Care to amend this particular lie? “i just picked up a 1900 O/CC Morgan, 1896 O DMPL Morgan and S mint sets from 1955 to 1990 all Cameo finished.” 

Edited by VKurtB

First nothing i have said was a lie. This person is a coin dealer in the city i live in and he is the one who made the purchase. I thought this was a professional forum, however it seem to me it is a bunch of punks and clowns. I may not have the experience to know everything but i do have the knowledge to research my own coins. I wanted to give NGC a try but apparently I misunderstood. This isn't NGC grading and coin help, it is just a bunch of middle age men having some power trip that give the good guys bad names. Second rate grading company anyways, what was i even thinking. I should have known there would be squatters here. Sorry this does not go for the one's that are nice and polite on here. This is for the throw it in the trash guys, drill a hole in it guy's, give it to VDirt lol for analysis guys. So VDirt what exactly are saying and have the nerve to call me a liar about. You don't know me and i don't know you, however you be more polite and a man next time and just as per item and I'd be more than happy to send a photo with your name and a finger in the air if you're going to be arrogant. Polite remarks get polite answers. 

Dang and i was unaware of S mint set being Cameo?  i have to go and revisit my little run of mint and proof sets from 1955 (Box) & (Flat) - 2020 sets.................

17 minutes ago, Brian319 said:

First nothing i have said was a lie. 

Then you should have no problem providing proof that what you said was true. A picture of the coin in a slab,  or the name of the grading company and the serial number of your coin will be a good start for the proof of your having  "sent it off." The name and number of the dealer will do for the "undisclosed buyer." 

Just Bob go back and read it was graded at a coin dealer and inspected in the city. He bought it. Besides i wouldn't never spend money to have a modern coin put in plastic holders and graded by NGC, ANACS or PCGS. Just to many secondary market buyers. Besides it isn't as rare as something i have.

I want to see these proof sets from 1955 up through 1970 with all cameo coins. I still say that's all a lie, and so is the O/CC you pictured. It is not one.

Just now, Jtnewell said:

O/CC MINTMARK

well i just checked my flat packs and box set "Philadelphia"  proof sets and no cameos :(

YES!!!!! This is what a O/CC looks like, not that garbage on @Brian319's microscope screen above. That's Brian319, the Teller of Untruths. [copyright 2020, VKurtB]

Is it too late to say, Welcome back to the Forum!? For better or worse, Brian319 is one of us!

For reasons which continue to elude me there are those on this chat room who take every offering as a personal challenge, the owner to be eviscerated as one would at the mouths of a pack of piranhas. Punks? Clowns? Liars? Squatters?

Do not allow the few who delight in flexing their collective muscle to dissuade you from seeking a well-reasoned opinion.

If you have in fact sold the specimen for a princely sum, you won! You can always ask the buyer what it was that drew him to your piece. [Last year, I purchased an otherwise unremarkable old coin raw, sight unseen, at just above melt value which turned out to grade MS-65 with only one other similarly graded, with none graded higher. You never know what can happen. Revel in your new-found fortune! It's a done deal, right?  Who cares what others think?

[I am away for not even a week and all hell breaks loose?  One thing for certain: after all is said and done, this rank amateur and sometime troll will be welcomed back with open arms.  I can't wait!  Anybody mind if I extend an invitation to my bosom buddies Ratzie, Rizzo and RichieRich? Carry on, gentlemen!]