• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Saint-Martin Coin Identification

13 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone, 

I received this coin in an inheritance.  No one in the family has any idea where it is from.  I can't seem to find any information on this coin online.  Does anybody know anything about this coin?

Thanks

coin2.jpg

coin 1.jpg

1 hour ago, nmerris said:

Yes, it's very similar.  I think the key might be the obelisk.  

I think it's a surfboard, not an obelisk. The font of "Sunset" on the surfboard seems to match the logo of the Sunset beach bar & grill. Maybe something they sold in their souvenir shop. http://sunsetsxm.com/

Edit: OK, now I'm sure of it. http://sunsetsxm.com/beach-2/

beach-1.jpg

Edited by kbbpll

That seems likely.  Too bad, I was hoping it was gold.  = (  I'm not sure why he would put a souvenir coin in a plastic case.  He had plenty of more valuable coins that were not.

Edited by nmerris

2 hours ago, nmerris said:

I kinda wish I had another weirdo coin, it was fun trying to figure out what it was.

Me too. Your "obelisk" comment helped a lot - I didn't consider it a crucial detail until you said that. I only saw it as a surfboard. Maybe contact them directly and see if they know anything. It could be fun. Lots of these "store token" things were made and people love tracking them down from 100 years ago, but you probably don't want to wait around that long. :)

On 8/15/2020 at 11:26 PM, nmerris said:

I'm not sure why he would put a souvenir coin in a plastic case.

It quite possibly came that way when he got it.