• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Saflips for Coins?

8 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm wondering what forum members recommend for the safe and easy storage of their coins. I picked up a package of the polyester/Mylar Saflips but was curious what other folks use. Not necessarily for display but just to keep them safe and clean (outside of having them graded and placed in a slab). I appreciate the responses. Steve

Edited by Ziemba727

I use and recommend the Saflip brand flips made by E&T Kointainer, the Mylar capsule people. They are fully inert but “crispy”, not soft, so keep handling at a minimum, and be especially careful when inserting the coins. They come in 2x2 and 2.5x2.5 inch sizes. 

https://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/products/e-t-kointainer/

Edited by VKurtB

VKurtB - Thanks for the response. Yes, those are what I have and I agree, you absolutely do have to be patient and cautious when you putting a coin inside. I need to get a better system figured out for doing so. 

Actually I had more of a difficult time getting a couple silver dollars out of 2 x 2 in.flips. It made more sense to carefully open those up with a razor than trying to force them out.

If I have a coin or token that I have finished photographing, and don't intend to handle any more, I will staple it into a cardboard 2x2. I can view both sides without having to open the flap, and it doesn't slide around in the holder. I am kind of lazy, though, so I have more in flips than 2x2s. :whistle:

I have had this 1973-S dime since the 1980's, stiil have the receipt, in the original 2x2 stapled flip. I was looking at it with my new 10x loupe and saw all sorts of dirt and fibers. Pulled it out of the flip and it was still in MS condition. It is going in for grading ASAP.

As far as I know, yes. It is supposed to be inert. "Archival safe" is the term used by some. Just be careful with the staples, and clinch them flat to avoid damaging other coins in the same box or holder.  

On 8/13/2020 at 8:05 PM, Modwriter said:

I have had this 1973-S dime since the 1980's, stiil have the receipt, in the original 2x2 stapled flip. I was looking at it with my new 10x loupe and saw all sorts of dirt and fibers. Pulled it out of the flip and it was still in MS condition. It is going in for grading ASAP.

Graded at MS-68PRCAM. My highest graded submitted coin so far. I found a 2020 Lincoln cent today in change from a sushi restaurant. It might grade at MS-70. I have never seen a coin in this perfect condition. It is going in for grading with my next submission.