• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New 10x LED Loupe
2 2

16 posts in this topic

I got my new 10x LED Loupe today. So much better than a penlight and a 4x magnifying glass. Sadly, my collection is being thinned out. I no longer have any Jefferson nickels and only three shield pennies out of close to roll of them. Roosies are next, yikes.

On 8/11/2020 at 8:59 PM, Modwriter said:

I got my new 10x LED Loupe today. So much better than a penlight and a 4x magnifying glass. Sadly, my collection is being thinned out. I no longer have any Jefferson nickels and only three shield pennies out of close to roll of them. Roosies are next, yikes.

Didn't you hear? Quintus tells us 30x is the thing these days. [eye roll so hard you can actually hear it]

5 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Didn't you hear? Quintus tells us 30x is the thing these days. [eye roll so hard you can actually hear it]

Ha! I did a lot of research on loupes for coin grading. I read that coin graders use a 10x loupe but will use a microscope if they suspect counterfeits. My collection has dwindled drastically. I am amazed that a coin could have so much eye appeal, then at 10x all the imperfections just pop.

On 8/11/2020 at 8:59 PM, Modwriter said:

Modwriter:  Why are you thinning the herd?

6 minutes ago, Modwriter said:

Ha! I did a lot of research on loupes for coin grading. I read that coin graders use a 10x loupe but will use a microscope if they suspect counterfeits. My collection has dwindled drastically. I am amazed that a coin could have so much eye appeal, then at 10x all the imperfections just pop.

They surely do that, don't they?

1 minute ago, Modwriter said:

I decided to only keep the coins that I would submit for grading. I am not a folder collector. Also only going to ask for mint rolls only at the bank. 

And another "condition snob" is born. My brother!!

3 hours ago, VKurtB said:

And another "condition snob" is born. My brother!!

lol. Rolled them all up and took them to the bank today. 40+ years of tossing coins in a cigar box mostly gone. Went to a coin shop and bought two graded quarters. A NGC 1960 PF 68 Cameo and a PCGS 1943-D MS64. PCGS I think made a mistake. There is an S mint mark on the reverse. The coin shop and three different banks did not have any mint rolls available.

On 8/13/2020 at 3:41 PM, Modwriter said:

I am amazed that a coin could have so much eye appeal, then at 10x all the imperfections just pop.

Which is precisely why I like working with an antique 30x loupe. 

2 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Which is precisely why I like working with an antique 30x loupe. 

I lost 2 loupes after getting sick five years ago. I had one of them since high school through 40 years of working in the printing industry. This new one is the best I ever owned.

Had to replace the batteries in my loupe today. Cost me $40 at a watchstore in the local mall but worth it. Also bought a new USMC ZIPPO lighter. The store manager asked me to look at his coins in his safe. Had a set of gold plated quarters and a Canadian mint set.

10 hours ago, Modwriter said:

Had to replace the batteries in my loupe today. Cost me $40 at a watchstore in the local mall but worth it. Also bought a new USMC ZIPPO lighter. The store manager asked me to look at his coins in his safe. Had a set of gold plated quarters and a Canadian mint set.

Okay, and the ZIPPO... where does it fit in the scheme of things?

1 hour ago, VKurtB said:

I am in the market for a physically large well made 5x loupe.

Why do I feel the shipping and handling on the trebuchet you seek will exceed its actual cost...

3 hours ago, VKurtB said:

I am in the market for a physically large well made 5x loupe.

I found mine on Amazon. There are 4 small batteries that did not last very long, but it was worth every cent to get them replaced.

https://www.amazon.com/Illuminated-Jewelers-Magnifier-Interchangeable-Reticle/dp/B00MMYNQ3A/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?ie=UTF8&psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_tab_ap_asin_title