• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'82 D small print bronze cent
1 1

44 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, Thompson2 said:

Baseball, golf, bird watching, backgammon, romance novels, board games...

I stopped doing those at ages (in order) 13, 35, never, 43, never, and about 10. I'm 65 now. I know specifically about golf because that's the age I was when I got married the first time. I never got to play again.

37 minutes ago, Thompson2 said:

All of this changes if someone is banking on that "holy grail" to provide a future... that'd be silly. 

And yet we have seen exactly this on this very website. A guy was frantically working through rolls of cents because he had medical bills to pay. Not this particular OP, but many past are indeed doing it with an EXPECTATION of hitting it big. And we can't rely on self-reporting of the reasons, either.

13 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

I stopped doing those at ages (in order) 13, 35, never, 43, never, and about 10. I'm 65 now. I know specifically about golf because that's the age I was when I got married the first time. I never got to play again.

Good information?  Not sure where you're going with that... 

3 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

And yet we have seen exactly this on this very website. A guy was frantically working through rolls of cents because he had medical bills to pay. Not this particular OP, but many past are indeed doing it with an EXPECTATION of hitting it big. And we can't rely on self-reporting of the reasons, either.

Sure... and those people are being silly... but desperation leads people to do weird things and put hope in long shots.  And why do we care about their reasons?  None of our business, really.  All we can do is try to reset expectations.  And if people post like this, there's no reason to all over it without looking at what they've got.  It takes 2.5 seconds for a trained eye to determine if what the OP has is worthwhile...   yeah, it gets old to answer the same question over and over, but that's what you get in this forum.  If it gets to be too much, just skip those posts or take a break from the forum.  If you feel it's your duty to keep people "on track" then suck it up and quit being grumpy with people you don't know and have no idea on their motivations...   

1 minute ago, Thompson2 said:

Not sure where you're going with that... 

Only that wives can often be the natural enemy of both coin collecting and golf.

6 minutes ago, Thompson2 said:

It takes 2.5 seconds for a trained eye to determine if what the OP has is worthwhile...   

If this is true, and I always believed it was at first blush, what does that say about the chorus of experts who were adamantly opposed to referring  [an unrelated matter on another thread] as a complete waste of time? Two and a half seconds?  Unbelievable!

23 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Only that wives can often be the natural enemy of both coin collecting and golf.

(Aside:  I don't know about golf but my wife -- I too was married for the first time at age 65, often good-naturedly kids me about feeding my "coq Marianne" when she "didn't hear them crowing" early in the morning.)

6 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

(Aside:  I don't know about golf but my wife -- I too was married for the first time at age 65, often good-naturedly kids me about feeding my "coq Marianne" when she "didn't hear them crowing" early in the morning.)

Oh, she's a keeper. lol

im not a lincoln cent person and i dont believe it has been mentioned in this very entertaining post but does the mint mark look correct?  that was about the only think i noticed and something looked off.  I am curious if the lincoln cent collectors know if this coin has been counterfeited/altered (in general, not this example) as some other dates commonly are??

Yes, a thorough check for an added mint mark should be a part of any authentication of any purported 1982-D small date bronze cent. There are the easy checks like the weight, but then the REAL fun begins. It's not a simple inquiry.

2 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Yes, a thorough check for an added mint mark should be a part of any authentication of any purported 1982-D small date bronze cent. There are the easy checks like the weight, but then the REAL fun begins. It's not a simple inquiry.

If it appears legit, won't NGC or other TPG certify it?  So from that standpoint it actually *is* a simple inquiry?  It seems like this isn't something you'd want to guess at.. 

15 hours ago, Thompson2 said:

If it appears legit, won't NGC or other TPG certify it?  So from that standpoint it actually *is* a simple inquiry?  It seems like this isn't something you'd want to guess at.. 

There are other people I'd want to show any purported third specimen before any TPGS. For any very rare cent, I'd want Charmy Harker from The Penny Lady and Andy Skrabalak from Angel Dee's to see it first. Both are the bee's knees in rare cents.

2 hours ago, VKurtB said:

There are other people I'd want to show any purported third specimen before any TPGS. For any very rare cent, I'd want Charmy Harker from The Penny Lady and Andy Skrabalak from Angel Dee's to see it first. Both are the bee's knees in rare cents.

Why do you prefer that to a TPG?  I'm assuming you'd expect more diligence from them?

9 minutes ago, Thompson2 said:

Why do you prefer that to a TPG?  I'm assuming you'd expect more diligence from them?

Frankly, I'd expect more expertise from them. If we were talking about an Indian Head, I'd add Kedzie and Rick Snow at Eagle Eye. When the 5th 1913 Liberty Nickel showed up at Baltimore, they didn't just grab three random graders from a TPGS, they convened the best experts there were.