• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'82 D small print bronze cent
1 1

44 posts in this topic

I cropped and rotated your picture to try and get a better view of the date. It looks like it may be a Small Date. How do you know it is copper and not copper plated zinc, what is the weight?

IMG_2020081.jpg

Edited by Greenstang
Correct typo

Isn't the 2 too close to the rim to be small date? Also, the mint mark is in the wrong position compared with the two known examples, below.

1982-d-cent-small-date-bronze-both.jpg

2 hours ago, kbbpll said:

Isn't the 2 too close to the rim to be small date? Also, the mint mark is in the wrong position compared with the two known examples, below.

1982-d-cent-small-date-bronze-both.jpg

Are we back in the business of crushing dreams again, or are we “just jealous of someone else’s find?” /sarcasm

There's a post-grad psychology paper here, waiting for the right author. Completely green no-experience coin searchers spending time searching for a coin which has only two known to exist. What drives that kind of thought process? I simply cannot fathom it. Surely there's a more useful project their time can be turned to. Like watching grass grow?

Edited by VKurtB

12 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

There's a post-grad psychology paper here, waiting for the right author. Completely green no-experience coin searchers spending time searching for a coin which has only two known to exist. What drives that kind of thought process? I simply cannot fathom it. Surely there's a more useful project their time can be turned to. Like watching grass grow?

The American dream, getting rich while watching Rocky and Bullwinkle on the couch while waiting for free collage.  Well the current dream anyway.

Isn't the 2 too close to the rim to be small date?

That was my first thought but it is hard to tell by the out of focus pictures where the rim starts. It is the 8 that looks like it may be a Small Date but better pictures should tell which it is. The weight will tell us if it is copper or zinc.

This is the third one this week. It is the most asked question on any of the coin forums. Everyone looking to get rich on a coin that is practically impossible to find.

21 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

People go from the "strike it rich" video straight to "I have one" and skip over the "knowing what to look for" part. I mean, it can't hurt to ask, I guess. The guy who found the first one searched 5000 coins using a homemade fulcrum scale made from toothpicks! He was really just looking to hoard copper - not sure how he even knew a small date was possible.

1 hour ago, VKurtB said:

Are we back in the business of crushing dreams again, or are we “just jealous of someone else’s find?” /sarcasm

I crushed someone's dream over on CCF a couple days ago, just to stay in practice. Boy did I get reamed out!

11 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

it is hard to tell by the out of focus pictures where the rim starts

Yes. Zooming in on your cropped image though, it also appears that the curve of the 9 points below the 8, which I think is another marker for large date. On the small date, the 2 is at least the width of the bottom of the 2 away from the rim (from what I can see), so if you extrapolate that distance onto your image it's almost off the edge.

Well, I'm not exactly a newbie... My dad has been an avid coin collector all my life so I have some knowledge.  I used to look through his giant coin books for hours.  Anyway, I do not have access to a scale but I happened across another 1982 cent with large print, different mint and material used.  I wasn't seeking it either, I was looking up some pennies from the 40's for my friend and for fun punched in a couple of the ones I had in my wallet. To as*s*u*me* is very ignor*ant.:)  Also, I didn't watch a lame "strike it rich!" Video.  Thanks for contributing to the negative cesspool that keeps us so humble👍🤭  

FullSizeR.jpg

FullSizeR(2).jpg

FullSizeR(1).jpg

FullSizeR(4).jpg

IMG_1480.jpg

FullSizeR(5).jpg

Edited by AkemiT
Typo, add response

Thank you for the better pictures. The Philadelphia minted coin is a large date; the Denver minted coin is a small date. The weight is still needed to determine whether the "D" is brass or copper-coated zinc.

7 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Thank you for the better pictures. The Philadelphia minted coin is a large date; the Denver minted coin is a small date. The weight is still needed to determine whether the "D" is brass or copper-coated zinc.

I am on a mission for a scale today.  I did drop them on a concrete floor for the sound test, they were different.

1 hour ago, Coinbuf said:

The American dream, getting rich while watching Rocky and Bullwinkle on the couch while waiting for free collage.  Well the current dream anyway.

Yeah, I am not dreaming or getting my hopes up.  I paid my own way through college and whaaaat?! Rocky and Bullwinkle is still on air?  I don't watch much of the tel*lie*vision.

2 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Well aren't we a little brash and full of As*s*umtions?  I too find it difficult to fathom the ignorant thought process that comes with some clearly intelligent minds. 

Edited by AkemiT
Add to response

41 minutes ago, AkemiT said:

Well aren't we a little brash and full of As*s*umtions?  I too find it difficult to fathom the ignorant thought process that comes with some clearly intelligent minds. 

If your avatar is you, I stand by my earlier characterization. Tell me, do you also regularly buy lottery tickets? They're a better investment of time than looking for 1982-D small date bronze cents.

Edited by VKurtB

49 minutes ago, AkemiT said:

Yeah, I am not dreaming or getting my hopes up.  I paid my own way through college and whaaaat?! Rocky and Bullwinkle is still on air?  I don't watch much of the tel*lie*vision.

Don't take it personally, as noted above we see this question almost every day and my comment was not directed to you per say but we are people and do vent now and again.   Let us know when you are able to get a weight.

1 hour ago, AkemiT said:

I am on a mission for a scale today.  I did drop them on a concrete floor for the sound test, they were different.

Another sign of ignorance. STOP DROPPING COINS ON CONCRETE FLOORS!! It proves precisely nothing and damages the coins.. Where DO these kinds of ideas come from? I don't recommend this way either, but it sure beats concrete floors - a glass tabletop, maybe?

Edited by VKurtB

Who let the dogs out?

Whatever happened to "Welcome to the Forum?" 

This collector is a newly-minted "mayfly" with mere hours on the site!

Thank God for Just Bob, a gracious gentleman who knows how to keep things on an even, civil keel.

To the OP:  my apologies for the rude, unwarranted reception you received here which was not at all representative of the caliber of collectors frequenting this site. 

There are exactly TWO known in the entire world. What thought process leads you to believe it's worth the time looking for a third? Do you realize how much time, and how much area, and how many people's hands that adds up to? Clearly you cannot, or you wouldn't be doing it. 38 years, the whole world, but yeah, you're next. Riiiight.

I do get what some people think. "Why NOT me?" Fine, except it reveals an ignorance of the huge numbers and infinitesimal probabilities involved. That is also why we can't get a consensus on COVID. People simply don't understand the math. Any time any probability gets too far away from .5, people lose the ability to conceptualize the math.

Edited by VKurtB

20 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

There are exactly TWO known in the entire world. What thought process leads you to believe it's worth the time looking for a third? Do you realize how much time, and how much area, and how many people's hands that adds up to? Clearly you cannot, or you wouldn't be doing it. 38 years, the whole world, but yeah, you're next. Riiiight.

In all fairness, the activity engaged in by our newest thread-maker is no different than those who go to a local bank and get boxed coins to rifle thru in leisure at home.  The OP simply sought an opinion as to her most recent find. She never said it was a full-time pursuit, after all, it is her father who is the collector.  And suppose it was he who suggested she check the chat room?  We need to take a coin-drop-on-concrete and turn it into a teachable moment.

44 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

In all fairness, the activity engaged in by our newest thread-maker is no different than those who go to a local bank and get boxed coins to rifle thru in leisure at home.  The OP simply sought an opinion as to her most recent find. She never said it was a full-time pursuit, after all, it is her father who is the collector.  And suppose it was he who suggested she check the chat room?  We need to take a coin-drop-on-concrete and turn it into a teachable moment.

Yeah, I'm no fan of coin roll hunting either. Right now, I have 14 solid rolls of red BU 1969-S cents sitting in a roll box. Most are in those heavy cellophane tubes with the slide-on end caps that are tough to remove. I have had them for over 20 years and I STILL have never searched them for the 001 DDO variety. Similarly, I have about 12 more 1970-S rolls I've never checked for small dates. Maybe I will someday. Maybe I'll die first. Who knows? I checked one 1970-S roll so far, about 5 years ago, and found my NGC MS66RD small date example. You see, I'm no "treasure hunter". If it's in there, it'll be in there later.

Edited by VKurtB

3 hours ago, AkemiT said:

Thanks for contributing to the negative cesspool that keeps us so humble

Come on, what I said wasn't that bad, and it wasn't directed at you anyway, it was a bantering response in general to VKurtB, our resident curmudgeon. Besides, look at the images you started with. I did the best I could with those, and I'm happy to be wrong.

6 hours ago, VKurtB said:

I do get what some people think. "Why NOT me?" Fine, except it reveals an ignorance of the huge numbers and infinitesimal probabilities involved. That is also why we can't get a consensus on COVID. People simply don't understand the math. Any time any probability gets too far away from .5, people lose the ability to conceptualize the math.

Yup... only two known in the world.  Do you suppose that's all that were made or that still exist?  As long as you enjoy roll hunting and you're not skipping work or not spending time with your family to hunt rolls, it's a zero risk activity.  Literally zero.  Search through $10,000 worth of pennies and your only expenditure is time.  Yup... search through $10,000 worth of pennines and you'll probably not find one.  So what?  If the hunt is part of the fun, then there's no down side, except our local curmudgeon will grump about it being virtually impossible and a waste of time.  Every time I pick up a penny, I check to see if it's something special.  Is it?  nope...   Am I crushed when I don't find something special?  Nope..   Will that stop me from looking next time?  Nope... 

The odds are crazy, astronomically low that you'll find one... but there's still a chance... and the level of risk in looking is exactly, precisely zero.  There are few other activities that fall into that category.   

1 hour ago, AkemiT said:

I found the large print one outside somewhere, (I always find pennies) and the small print was literally in my wallet.  No searching for hours or buying rolls...  Am I going to be devistated if it's not the elusive penny I think it might be?... No.  I am just a curious person and I enjoy learning about whatever comes my way. I also spent a few days researching and contemplating if I should even post to a forum, but my dad suggested it and to also take it to a shop, more input and knowledge before I spend money sending pennies to be evaluated.  I appreciate the positive criticism and input.

As one who began collecting when there was still copper in coins and silver in (war-time nickels) dimes, quarters, and halves, I understand. Indulge your passion. (The odds didn't dissuade archaeologist Carter from searching for -- and finding King Tut's tomb, and all his golden treasures nearly a hundred years ago, did it?)

That's what I'm talking about. You go, girl!  Happy collecting and good luck to you.

8 hours ago, Thompson2 said:

Yup... only two known in the world.  Do you suppose that's all that were made or that still exist?  As long as you enjoy roll hunting and you're not skipping work or not spending time with your family to hunt rolls, it's a zero risk activity.  Literally zero.  Search through $10,000 worth of pennies and your only expenditure is time.  Yup... search through $10,000 worth of pennines and you'll probably not find one.  So what?  If the hunt is part of the fun, then there's no down side, except our local curmudgeon will grump about it being virtually impossible and a waste of time.  Every time I pick up a penny, I check to see if it's something special.  Is it?  nope...   Am I crushed when I don't find something special?  Nope..   Will that stop me from looking next time?  Nope... 

The odds are crazy, astronomically low that you'll find one... but there's still a chance... and the level of risk in looking is exactly, precisely zero.  There are few other activities that fall into that category.   

Well, @Thompson2, that's where you and I, formally educated in economics, will always differ. To me, there is no such thing as a zero cost activity; EVERYTHING has a cost, literally e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g. If there is no cash outlay, there still is the "opportunity costs"of literally everything we do. That is, what ELSE have you foregone in order to do what you do. And that is where the "costs" of searching for Holy Grail coins pile up. Virtually anything one could do is time better spent. Maybe pick up a numismatic themed book, for example.

18 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

To the OP:  my apologies for the rude, unwarranted reception you received here

I wasn't rude, nor did I dismiss the possibility that she made have had the real thing, I just said that better pictures were needed.

18 hours ago, VKurtB said:

There are exactly TWO known in the entire world. What thought process leads you to believe it's worth the time looking for a third?

How many were known before the first one was discovered?  And after the first one was found, if everyone followed your advice and never bothered to look for another because only one was known so what are the chances, would the second one have ever been found?  Yes it is extremely unlikely to find another so it would be foolish to make it your life's work, but if you have nothing better to do at the moment what does it hurt to do some searching?  I just kills a little time.

3 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Well, @Thompson2, that's where you and I, formally educated in economics, will always differ. To me, there is no such thing as a zero cost activity; EVERYTHING has a cost, literally e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g. If there is no cash outlay, there still is the "opportunity costs"of literally everything we do. That is, what ELSE have you foregone in order to do what you do. And that is where the "costs" of searching for Holy Grail coins pile up. Virtually anything one could do is time better spent. Maybe pick up a numismatic themed book, for example.

@VKurtB - Kindly reread my post.  I never state there is no cost.  Quite the contrary... I state that the expenditure will be time.  Please do not assume that you are the only one here who understands and applies the concept of opportunity cost.  And also please refrain from applying your values to how people should spend that opportunity cost.  Just because you don't gain any enjoyment from roll hunting does not mean you can, as a universal blanket statement, state that there's no value to it.  Baseball, golf, bird watching, backgammon, romance novels, board games... there's an endless list of things that people do just for the enjoyment.  Do you universally condemn those as well?  Especially since there is ZERO chance of any "return" on those activities?  Probably not (if you do, then there are other issues at work here).  So why all over people who do this for enjoyment (or just happen to stumble across something that might be amazing)? 

All of this changes if someone is banking on that "holy grail" to provide a future... that'd be silly.  

@AkemiT - I apologize for taking this off course.  I hope that what you've found turns out to be legitimately awesome.  Don't let The Grump dampen your spirits on this at all.  He gets testy when he thinks people are just trying to take the easy way and "get rich quick".   When you have your scale, I'd suggest getting a couple of '81 or earlier (solid bronze/copper) and a couple of '83 or later (plated zinc) pennies to "calibrate" what the weight is your looking for.  That will eliminate the possibility that your scale is weighing heavy (or light), just in case it's off in either direction.