• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How does Registry Sets rank for equal points?

10 posts in this topic

• Administrator
50 minutes ago, Early Releases said:

How does the NGC Registry Sets choose which order to rank members that have equal scores?

Hello and thank you for your interest.

What happens when there is a tie?

The NGC Registry ranks sets first according to the set's score. If two or more sets have the same score, the NGC Registry will break the tie by ranking the sets based on the percentage of NGC-certified coins in the set. If two or more sets have the same score and the same percentage of NGC-certified coins, then the tie will be broken based on the percentage of coins with images. If two or more sets have the same score, same percentage of NGC-certified coins and the same percentage of coins with images, then the tie will be broken based on the percentage of coins with descriptions.

To summarize, ranking is achieved by considering the following, in order:

·         Set score

·         Percentage of NGC-certified coins

·         Percentage of coins with images

·         Percentage of coins with descriptions

If all the above items are equal between sets, then sets will be sorted by the date the rank was achieved (first to achieve it will appear higher), but they will have the same rank number beside their set.

Please let us know when we may assist with the NGC Registry in the future.

2 hours ago, Ali E. said:

·         Percentage of coins with images

Would I need to add my own images or the NGC ones that are already there already count towards this? If they already count, is additional weight given to those with their own photos also, or it isn't applicable?

• Administrator
25 minutes ago, Early Releases said:

Would I need to add my own images or the NGC ones that are already there already count towards this? If they already count, is additional weight given to those with their own photos also, or it isn't applicable?

Hello.

Whether you upload your own photos versus NGC photos is not relevant for award purposes. Thanks very much.

It might also be helpful to know that the system places no judgements of value on the quality or length of a comment or description. You could make a comment / description that says, "This coin purteh! Hur dee hurr hurr." And the system will weight it equally to someone that has written a 500-word love note to the coin. Which is nice given that what makes a "good" description is highly subjective.

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, Revenant said:

It might also be helpful to know that the system places no judgements of value on the quality or length of a comment or description. You could make a comment / description that says, "This coin purteh! Hur dee hurr hurr." And the system will weight it equally to someone that has written a 500-word love note to the coin. Which is nice given that what makes a "good" description is highly subjective.

Thanks, Revenant.

Yes, the program can only detect whether or not the collector has added comments in the field or left it blank. However, when judges are narrowing down choices for winners in the major categories, the quality of comments can be an important consideration. :)

26 minutes ago, Ali E. said:

Thanks, Revenant.

Yes, the program can only detect whether or not the collector has added comments in the field or left it blank. However, when judges are narrowing down choices for winners in the major categories, the quality of comments can be an important consideration. :)

Very true, and very good point! But I give the judges here more credit than I'd give computer algorithms for having taste. 😆

2 hours ago, Revenant said:

Explains why I see so many comments like '  lol

17 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

Explains why I see so many comments like '  lol

Yeah... Which is why a few years ago someone wanted to implement a rule whereby a description wouldn't count unless it was 200+ characters or something similar. It didn't get implemented because it wouldn't really improve things. You'd just get comments that are word soup or lazy repetitive boiler plate or strings of a's or similar garbage. As it is you still get the " ' " ones but I accept that for the extent to which it does get us "real" comments by making incentives - even though the tie breaks usually occur in modern sets of PF70s, where making "interesting" or original comments tends to be harder IMO.