• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would this be considered a strikethrough error?

9 posts in this topic

I'm a little nervous about sending this in to be graded, but maybe it's not even what I think it is...??

Any thoughts?   Value?  Best way to send in to be it graded?

It was ordered from a well known coin website at first I thought it was a cull sent to me by mistake, but then I saw the pattern...

20200721_230338.jpg

20200723_213213.jpg

20200721_230432.jpg

I think they call this a retained struck-through, but now it's not "retained", so...  I would be very careful with the black piece so it stays intact. Did it just fall off the coin or did you have to encourage it out? I think I've seen these somewhere with the piece struck-through encapsulated along with the coin. I'd say it's fairly unusual for a piece this large to stay with the coin, and it will definitely command a premium for the right collector, if that's what this is.

Edit: OK, maybe it's not that uncommon. https://www.sullivannumismatics.com/information/articles/strike-through-error-coins. Scroll down to "struck through plastic".

"This error type is mostly found on bullion, and to a lesser degree on other modern mint products. Struck through plastic coins have a shiny, thin, even strike through which usually has a few straight lines and then is ragged elsewhere around the perimeter of the strike through. We know these coins are struck through fragments of plastic because many coins have been found with the plastic still retained in the strike through. The plastic comes from a covering which is used to protect the dies, and is removed prior to the die’s being put into service to strike coins. Sometimes not all the plastic is removed, resulting in a strike through. In the silver eagle show above, the coin strike through is very shiny (almost like the mirrored fields of a proof coin), and it is a classic example of a struck through plastic."

Edited by kbbpll

Not stuck at all, it slid to the bottom of the case, just a few seconds after I opened it & lifted the coin & bottom half of case (never removed coin) , at first I thought it was a cull, and somehow that the piece had damaged my coin... LOL

Edited by Riqk

Here's a 2015 $50 that sold for $9600 in January 2020. I don't know how much these $50 bullion coins normally sell for. https://coins.ha.com/itm/errors/2015-50-one-ounce-gold-eagle-obverse-indented-by-retained-plastic-fragment-first-strike-ms69-pcgs/a/1311-5070.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

I wonder if you can get a "first strike" designation? From what I posted above, this was literally the first strike from that die.

lf.jpg

Edited by kbbpll

They are currently about 2k but back then a bit less. Wow, mine just lost an arm that one was fatal for sure... LOL that's the 1st example I have seen with real numbers...   There are some examples on eBay but just listed, nothing I have seen actually sold yet.

Thanks!

Really nice find! Certainly eye catching! (or--- should that be "eye Ka-ching!" )

Edited by RWB