• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading Question
1 1

13 posts in this topic

I have several 65-98 Washington quarters in my collection that are MS grade obverse and reverse, but the reeded edges are worn smooth or near smooth. Do the grading services downgrade if the reeds are worn?

If the edges are worn, they can't be MS. Mint State (MS) means Uncirculated. An uncirculated coin can't be worn. Even evidence of slight friction is enough to downgrade a coin to AU (About Uncirculated.)

15 minutes ago, Modwriter said:

I have several 65-98 Washington quarters in my collection that are MS grade obverse and reverse, but the reeded edges are worn smooth or near smooth. Do the grading services downgrade if the reeds are worn?

While I cannot answer your query with authoritative confidence, I can state that I do not recall ever seeing a Washington clad quarter exhibiting signs of this affliction. Near smooth? (Just a moment. I have quarters. Let me take a look...) Well, I'll be!  I have numerous such examples in your date range, however, I am unable to reconcile condition, with the assigned grade.  I would not characterize any of these old work horses as Mint State. As to whether such a phenomenon would militate against you at a TPGS inquest, to me that would be an invitation to take a closer look. I'll let the experts with 150 years of aggregate numismatic experience weigh in on this.

Thank you Just Bob and Quintus Arrius. Sadly, I must return a few of my Washingtons to my bank. I could not find any answers to my question. It seems all of the grading sites talk about grading the obverse and reverse of the coins, but not the reeded edges.

3 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

Photos would certainly help.  :)

I don't want to post a picture of no ridge 65-98 Washington quarters. Lol. I still have some wrapped rolls of them I need to go through reed checking. Waiting for more coin tubes to come in the mail. I took about 5 out of a loose bunch and 3 out of my saved State quarters.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The center strip of clad coins is pure copper, which is quite soft. That's why the reeding wears more quickly than the balance of the coin, which is a much harder copper-nickel alloy.

I’ve seen a lot of things in my 57 years in coins, but I’ve never seen an MS quarter with nearly worn smooth edges. One of those can’t be true. 

7 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

I’ve seen a lot of things in my 57 years in coins, but I’ve never seen an MS quarter with nearly worn smooth edges. One of those can’t be true. 

That is why it caught my eye. I wonder where it would have graded at. Can't see the coin edges in a slab. The obverse and reverse had eye appeal, lustre, no major scratches, spots, and even the rims were good. I did not bother to check it with my loupe once I saw the worn edges. I found maybe five State quarters with worn edges stored in clear tubes.

13 minutes ago, Modwriter said:

That is why it caught my eye. I wonder where it would have graded at. Can't see the coin edges in a slab. The obverse and reverse had eye appeal, lustre, no major scratches, spots, and even the rims were good. I did not bother to check it with my loupe once I saw the worn edges. I found maybe five State quarters with worn edges stored in clear tubes.

How was the color of the edges, brighter red, or dull brown?

2 hours ago, VKurtB said:

How was the color of the edges, brighter red, or dull brown?

This is a reject quarter that I just pulled out of a bank roll, but very similar to this edge, dull brown color.

20200810_160545.jpg

43 minutes ago, Modwriter said:

The reverse of this quarter is in very good condition, but the obverse has scratches and rim dents.

It’s hard to imagine anything good about either face with that much rim wear.