• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quarter Rolls from mint
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Picked up two rolls of state quarters from my bank yesterday with U.S. Mint wrappers. 2007-P Montana and 2008-D Oklahoma. These was a first for me with U.S. Mint wrapped quarters. The 2007-P Montana's were scratched up and only saved 14 out of the roll in MS. The 2008-D Oklahoma's were all in MS condition. Surprised that I did not have two complete MS rolls, being directly from the mint. So if anybody buying bags or the rolls from the mint beware!

Anyone who has been collecting for awhile knows that the coins in the mint wrapped rolls or $25 bags are just as likely to be scratched up as  regular bank wrapped rolls because they are both handled the same way.  And the bags are possibly more likely to be bag marked because the coins can continue to move around against eash other during handling and shipping.

The problem comes from people who expect the coins to be pristine because they are "Mint wrapped" or "direct from the Mint"..

I’m fairly certain the Mint doesn’t even have rolling machines. They likely use the same jobbers everyone else does, and only the paper used is different.

18 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

I’m fairly certain the Mint doesn’t even have rolling machines. They likely use the same jobbers everyone else does, and only the paper used is 

The State and Mint marks were printed on the wrappers. I dont know if a bank would keep them on the shelf for 12 and 13 years. Might have been turned in by a disinterested collector recently.

27 minutes ago, Modwriter said:

The State and Mint marks were printed on the wrappers. I dont know if a bank would keep them on the shelf for 12 and 13 years. Might have been turned in by a disinterested collector recently.

Almost certainly the latter, yes. The types of wrappers you reference were used only FOR the Mint. Notice I didn’t say BY the Mint.

Edited by VKurtB

4 hours ago, VKurtB said:

They likely use the same jobbers everyone else does, and only the paper used is different.

Very true.  The Mint itself doesn't really have any need for coin rolling equipment.  So why buy it when it was probably cheaper to just have the rolling done by a firm that DID have the equipment.  They already have the coins in balistic bags, and the company already has the means of handling them so just ship them the bags and the wrapping paper.

15 hours ago, Conder101 said:

Very true.  The Mint itself doesn't really have any need for coin rolling equipment.  So why buy it when it was probably cheaper to just have the rolling done by a firm that DID have the equipment.  They already have the coins in balistic bags, and the company already has the means of handling them so just ship them the bags and the wrapping paper.

I believe, just from examining the rolls sold by the Mint, and comparing them with the roller's other work, that the Mint's rolls are done by N.F. String of Harrisburg, PA.

Edited by VKurtB