• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 quarter variety?

6 posts in this topic

Ok so there is no mint mark on this quarter but the arrows into the leaf tell me it's a proof design but I cannot find anywhere that a proof coin was made in Philly,so how would I classify this coin?is it just a regular qtr?

P_20200807_115101.jpg

P_20200807_115159.jpg

P_20200807_115136.jpg

2 hours ago, Just Bob said:

It appears to be RDV-006, the normal reverse die for that year for both the Philadelphia and Denver mints.

Just Bob, would you hold onto this quarter? I would not, too much ridge damage for me..

18 minutes ago, Modwriter said:

Just Bob, would you hold onto this quarter? I would not, too much ridge damage for me..

Only if I did not already have one in my Whitman album. Otherwise, I would spend it.

On 8/7/2020 at 6:32 PM, Just Bob said:

Only if I did not already have one in my Whitman album. Otherwise, I would spend it.

With your mention of Whitman, my ears perked up.  Just curious, how high a grade of coin would you consider inappropriate for display in a Whitman or, for that matter, a Dansco album?  One clear advantage you have over me. You get to handle your coins occasionally; mine are locked away forever in see-thru coffins.

6 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

With your mention of Whitman, my ears perked up.  Just curious, how high a grade of coin would you consider inappropriate for display in a Whitman or, for that matter, a Dansco album?  One clear advantage you have over me. You get to handle your coins occasionally; mine are locked away forever in see-thru coffins.

My Whitmans, with the exception of one of the Lincoln cent albums (1909-1940), are all populated with coins that I pulled from circulation, so the coins' conditions range from Good to high AU. The nickels are from 1938 to present; the dimes and quarters are just the clad years. I also have another album of silver Roosevelts, all in MS and proof.

So, to answer your question: I don't consider any grade specifically inappropriate for an album -  it just depends on the album and its designated purpose.