• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 quarter error
1 1

49 posts in this topic

I have a obvious mistake error coin. Its a 1970  us quarter but when u look at outside rim of coin it looks like a penny. It also weighs severely less than regular quarter. It weighs 4.9 instead of 5.8 any idea what i have???

I hate to speak for others but I am fairly certain they will tell you to post some pictures of the obverse, reverse, and edge of the coins. Close and clear pics are great appreciated. Properly oriented as well.

Edited by pogohatesme
typo dang it

As previously mentioned without a clear photo of both sides of the coin, anything anybody here stated would just be guessing. 

Pictures are a MUST to be able to help determining the error on your coin

Edited by Greenstang
Correct typo

3 hours ago, pogohatesme said:

I hate to speak for others but I am fairly certain they will tell you to post some pictures of the obverse, reverse, and edge of the coins. Close and clear pics are great appreciated. Properly oriented as well.

Hate to say it but gonna need better pictures. More close up on the reverse and more in focus. I understand you used your phone, and I wish I could give ya some tips doing that but I have been chided for the same thing and still trying to figure something out lol.

Would like to see a better photo of the obv, however my gut reaction is it has spent some time in the ground or been subjected to some caustic agent like acid.  What you see on the rim is that the core has been eroded/eaten away to produce that valley effect.  The eroded surfaces explain the slightly underweight weight you mentioned in your op as the mass of the coin has been reduced.  This doesn't look to be an error to me just damage or what we call PMD (post mint damage).

10 hours ago, Just Bob said:

It has been exposed to or treated with acid.

And the acid also dissolved its focus away.  :whistle:  I know, camera phones are a rough deal for coins.

I know, camera phones are a rough deal for coins.

Whatever happened to taking pictures with an actual camera. They have a micro-lense for closeups and you can adjust the focus and lighting. If we can't see the details, it makes it hard to determine the problem.

Also please crop and rotate your pictures. Do NOT hold them in your hand, use a solid background of some sort.

11 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

Whatever happened to taking pictures with an actual camera. They have a micro-lense for closeups and you can adjust the focus and lighting. If we can't see the details, it makes it hard to determine the problem.

Also please crop and rotate your pictures. Do NOT hold them in your hand, use a solid background of some sort.

C'mon, you know the "look what I found" crowd isn't going to, or can't, spring for a proper camera set-up. It's why they're rummaging through coins that are "different".

53 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

C'mon, you know the "look what I found" crowd isn't going to, or can't, spring for a proper camera set-up. It's why they're rummaging through coins that are "different".

I don't think you were directing anything at me but I still kind of take offense to this statement because it has been said more than once, my phone is all I have. When I first joined and posted pictures I didn't realize just how intricate things could be and felt this would be suitable for the time being.

Now that I know better, I would like to get a "proper set up", but alas am unable to do so. I actually was not even aware of the attachments available for the phone camera until Karen pointed it out. 

2 hours ago, pogohatesme said:

I don't think you were directing anything at me but I still kind of take offense to this statement because it has been said more than once, my phone is all I have. When I first joined and posted pictures I didn't realize just how intricate things could be and felt this would be suitable for the time being.

Now that I know better, I would like to get a "proper set up", but alas am unable to do so. I actually was not even aware of the attachments available for the phone camera until Karen pointed it out. 

Don't take it personally. I don't think anyone expects new posters to run out and buy hundreds of dollars worth of photography equipment just to post pictures of a coin that they found. Or, even multiple coins, for that matter. I think it is more of a longing for the days - not that many years ago - when top quality pictures were the norm - pictures posted using digital cameras. Go back and look at some of the long-running threads, like the "Follow the Lead" or "Latest Acquisition." Look at some of the work of Robec, Mark Goodman, and (many) others. The difference between those pictures and the majority of what is posted now is amazing.

I know that I miss those days, myself. I remember multiple-page threads about proper photography technique, and the best type of lighting, and "which camera fits which budget," etc, etc. I remember a photo contest, where an especially hard-to-photograph coin was sent around to different members to try their hand at capturing the look of the coin. 

I personally never advanced beyond a Kodak point-and-shoot, but I learned a lot about how to light the coin, adjust white balance, crop and adjust the photos, etc. These days, I use a $75 Samsung Galaxy J3, so I really have no room to complain about picture quality, but I do still try to use proper lighting and technique. My pictures are nowhere near top quality, but they do all right for posting pictures of entire coins and tokens. If I ever have to try a close-up of a small area, though, I may be in trouble. :)

Really, all we ask is that posters try to present the best quality pictures that they can, using the equipment that they have. If someone puts forth a little effort to provide me with a good picture, I certainly don't mind putting forth some effort to help them with their questions.

32 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Don't take it personally. I don't think anyone expects new posters to run out and buy hundreds of dollars worth of photography equipment just to post pictures of a coin that they found. Or, even multiple coins, for that matter. I think it is more of a longing for the days - not that many years ago - when top quality pictures were the norm - pictures posted using digital cameras. Go back and look at some of the long-running threads, like the "Follow the Lead" or "Latest Acquisition." Look at some of the work of Robec, Mark Goodman, and (many) others. The difference between those pictures and the majority of what is posted now is amazing.

I know that I miss those days, myself. I remember multiple-page threads about proper photography technique, and the best type of lighting, and "which camera fits which budget," etc, etc. I remember a photo contest, where an especially hard-to-photograph coin was sent around to different members to try their hand at capturing the look of the coin. 

I personally never advanced beyond a Kodak point-and-shoot, but I learned a lot about how to light the coin, adjust white balance, crop and adjust the photos, etc. These days, I use a $75 Samsung Galaxy J3, so I really have no room to complain about picture quality, but I do still try to use proper lighting and technique. My pictures are nowhere near top quality, but they do all right for posting pictures of entire coins and tokens. If I ever have to try a close-up of a small area, though, I may be in trouble. :)

Really, all we ask is that posters try to present the best quality pictures that they can, using the equipment that they have. If someone puts forth a little effort to provide me with a good picture, I certainly don't mind putting forth some effort to help them with their questions.

Oh I have read through ( not completely of course lol ) some the threads you mention. And believe me, I am quite jealous of some of the pictures. Not just the coins themselves but the quality of the pics. 

Now back to the op I didn't mean to hijack the thread lol

Hello coin guys... Its me the original one that posted the post lol. 1st off i work from 8am to 6pm & thats why i havent responded. Ive always been interested in old stuff antiques & coins. Just really never persued it ya kno? I realize & respect the  fact that you guys are experts and have been doing this a long time but I think you all are wrong about this coin there's no way Acid can eat just the middle part of this quarter and leave the outside edges perfectly round like that you can tell up close that it was stamped over another coin . you're going to think this is very funny but I do believe this is the same coin that's on eBay for $35,000 uncirculated... Let me explain why when I look at the coin through my very strong magnifying glass LOL I can see the 1941 stamp that the guy on eBay is showing up close in his pictures just Google 1940 error coin stamped over Canadian quarter you'll see what I'm talking about y'all are probably going to say this rookie is crazy or he don't know what he's talking about but I do believe I have that coin sir it's just very old and been through a lot.. I figured this text would get y'all talking a lot or whatever you cool coin guys do! I got a few other coins that I'd like to send pictures of probably not worth anything but I thought they were cool so I hung onto them over the years......

Spoiler

So I searched Google and found this article:  https://www.newsmax.com/TheWire/rare-1970-quarter-defect/2016/06/09/id/733033/

Essentially, this is a coin that has raised questions, being a proof 1970 U.S. coin apparently stamped over a 1941 Canadian quarter, and has its legitimacy backed by our own NGC. Perhaps, after more review to be safe, you yourself @Brian478, should consider submitting this coin. 

What I want to know is, if it is legit, how did this error come to be? How did Canadian dies/quarters wind up on the production floor? Was it because some quarters got slipped in with the regular blanks? If so, then how? Why does this coin exist, if it's legit?

Edited by 1917

Be careful with ebay. Only buy from a 5 star seller there. Was the $35,000 quarter graded and slabbed by one of the third party grading services? If I was to buy a $35,000 quarter, I would only buy it through a reputable auction house such as Heritage Auctions.

1 minute ago, Modwriter said:

Be careful with ebay. Only buy from a 5 star seller there. Was the $35,000 quarter graded and slabbed by one of the third party grading services? If I was to buy a $35,000 quarter, I would only buy it through a reputable auction house such as Heritage Auctions.

The seller is mentioned in the article I linked above. It is a incorporated company

Edited by 1917
Clarity

Hello I coin guys... Its me the original one that posted the post lol. 1st off i work from 8am to 6pm & thats why i havent responded. Ive always been interested in old stuff antiques & coins. Just really never persued it ya kno? I realize & respect the  fact that you guys are experts and have been doing this a long time but I think you all are wrong about this coin there's no way Acid can eat just the middle part of this quarter and leave the outside edges perfectly round like that you can tell up close that it was stamped over another coin . you're going to think this is very funny but I do believe this is the same coin that's on eBay for $35,000 uncirculated... Let me explain why when I look at the coin through my very strong magnifying glass LOL I can see the 1941 stamp that the guy on eBay is showing up close in his pictures just Google 1940 error coin stamped over Canadian quarter you'll see what I'm talking about y'all are probably going to say this rookie is crazy or he don't know what he's talking about but I do believe I have that coin sir it's just very old and been through a lot.. 

Spoiler

Look close at edges....

Screenshot_20200807-203237.png

To answer your other question.... the coin i have came  from someone that worked at the printing press....... 🤔 That should sum up all 4 of your answers in one sir.

Screenshot_20200807-203311.png

17 minutes ago, 1917 said:

The seller is mentioned in the article I linked above. It is a incorporated 

Mike Byers, Inc. specializes in error coins. The 1970 error quarter is graded by NGC. 

https://mikebyers.com/   It looks like a microscopic error, not worth $35,000 to me.

12 minutes ago, Modwriter said:

Mike Byers, Inc. specializes in error coins. The 1970 error quarter is graded by NGC. 

https://mikebyers.com/   It looks like a microscopic error, not worth $35,000 to me.

Personally, I wouldn't pay more than like $500, but that's my opinion. Of course, it could be notable in that it involves multiple countries coins, so though micdoscopic, it is strange and rare. Then again, how much do ppl really want to pay for that sort of thing? Not key date money