• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 John F. Kennedy Half Dollar

6 posts in this topic

IMG_20200805_105827.thumb.jpg.c0c438269183a0e7134c9a37e2a1c4ee.jpg I found this coin recently and believe it's farely important. I don't have any knowledge about coin collecting and want to know more info about it. 1964 John F. Kennedy Half Dollar

2020-08-05 10.41.15 1.jpg

The coin itself, a half dollar minted for circulation, but also minted to commemorate the recently deceased president, is common. The holder may not be. It apparently was created to hand out examples of the half, as Coinbuf stated, to customers, etc - in this case, foreign customers. Pretty cool find, in my opinion. (thumbsu

If you would like to do a bit of reading on the Kennedy half, our host's Coin Explorer page is here:  CLICK HERE

8 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

The coin itself, a half dollar minted for circulation, but also minted to commemorate the recently deceased president, is common. The holder may not be. It apparently was created to hand out examples of the half, as Coinbuf stated, to customers, etc - in this case, foreign customers. Pretty cool find, in my opinion. (thumbsu

If you would like to do a bit of reading on the Kennedy half, our host's Coin Explorer page is here:  CLICK HERE

Thanks! Yes, it was given to my grandpa, he worked at the Bank of Costa Rica 

It is 90% silver, slightly less than half an ounce, and is an extremely common coin that only rarely commands any premium above metal value. I don't think it is covered in cellophane (if so, it would probably be deteriorating), but the paper is likely contributing to the unattractive toning. However, one thing that actually would give it some modest collectible value is that cardboard and the temporal context, so I would resist any temptation to take it out.