• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What will you classify this coin as?
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Looks like Environmental Damage or possibly a stain. Probably taken a hit or two over the years also. Not a DD on the nose.

In the future, please post a photo of both sides of the coin instead of two of the same side. This can help in evaluating your coin.

Damage from stain and likely automatic rolling equipment.

PS: You'll get better detail if you reduce or turn off the phony (pun intended) sharpening on you phone -- all it does is increase contrast and washout details.

Edited by RWB

No offense to Learn, or my learned colleagues at large, but this pitiable example fully represents why I stopped out of the hobby some 50+ years ago. Again, no one wants to state the obvious: The Emperor Has No Clothes! What are we talking about here, damage of some kind to a CLAD coin? Anyone care to venture a guess as to the numismatic value of this shipwrecked relic? Do I hear 25? Fifty?  My dear Mr. Learn,  The ridership (those who delight in taking us all for a ride, newbie and oldie, alike) are being excruciatingly polite. Forget the classification. What I would really like to know is whether or not you are curious as to its numismatic worth? Or enough copper in the thing to salvage your quarter investment if the local laundry machine rejects it. It is perfectly alright for grown men to agonize, wring their hands and gnash their teeth over a Fugio cent. A clad, not so much. And a damaged one, in mixed company, never! My unremitting, totally biased and embarrassingly prejudiced opinion.

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Temperament

11 minutes ago, Learn said:

Thanks for the essay

My self-censored reply (which I am not man enough to post) originally read as follows:  "Simple cat urine staining which can easily be removed with a spritz of Water Displacement formula number 40, a/k/a WD-40."

As you can see, I do have the ability to bite my tongue.  Seriously, Mr. L, you have the enviable luxury to conduct your own mad scientist resuscitation effort on this coin, a la VKurtB, no offense intended.

Even worse than the fates that befell this poor coin, are the highly pixelated over-digitally-sharpened photos. Yikes! Maybe you have some extremely shaky portrait orientation videos for us that you have posted on YouRube? [kidding]

On 8/5/2020 at 10:24 AM, VKurtB said:

Even worse than the fates that befell this poor coin, are the highly pixelated over-digitally-sharpened photos. Yikes! Maybe you have some extremely sharp portrait orientation videos for us that you have posted on YouRube? [kidding]

Note:  For the record, this coin [as displayed on my wife's cheap, knock-off] cell is appropriately sharp with detail, color and contrast and, for all intents and purposes, presents as though it were in the palm of my hand. (In point of fact, it looks just as detailed as that stunning SG D/E slated for auction at Heritage, 9/17/20!) My cell is strictly talk and text. [No internet.]

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Add comment

I don't know why anyone would compromise his values and feel obligated to dignify anything I have written (usually tongue-in-cheek; often dripping with sarcasm) with a rhetorical rant  Viewers know my story well... stopped out after silver was taken out of coinage, dove back in after surgery last year, and while still under the influence of prescribed painkillers, amassed a world class collection of French 20-franc gold rooster which accords me the unprecedented privilege and honor of refereeing skirmishes between the misfits and the one-liners and the has-beens and the might've beens and the would-bes and the ne'er-do-wells and the God-knows-whats of the highly esteemed collector community. My apologies if I left anyone out. Now aren't you sorry you asked?