• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Die Clash?

11 posts in this topic

It seems possible to me, judging by this overlay from Coincommunity (if the die was rotated slightly from the position in this picture):

1972_IKE_Dollar_obv_overlay.jpg

4 minutes ago, rcjes said:

It is a 76, it has the liberty bell and moon on the reverse

Well, that was very stupid of me. :$

Here you go:

40191393.jpg

The problem is, is that die clashes are VERY seldom seen on the devices because they are the deepest part of the die.  And in this case you are implying that a design feature (deep part of the die) is showing as a clachmark on another design feature (deep part of the die) yet no clash marks are showing anywhere in the fields. Where clashmarks are typically see.  It doesn't seem likely to me.

Edited by Conder101

How do we explain the raised dots in front of his ear and the bell outline on his nose and back of his lip that line up with the reverse features? I have also noticed what I think is some moon clash on the top of the E.

909155979_IMG_0040fullsizeb.thumb.jpg.e47279a30f71ee5920159210389f168c.jpg1122056465_1976-DObverseDieClash.thumb.jpg.5f099e162cad1fd84e78845a198ccd56.jpg

IMG_0040 full size b.jpg

10 hours ago, Conder101 said:

The problem is, is that die clashes are VERY seldom seen on the devices because they are the deepest part of the die.  And in this case you are implying that a design feature (deep part of the die) is showing as a clachmark on another design feature (deep part of the die) yet no clash marks are showing anywhere in the fields. Where clashmarks are typically see.  It doesn't seem likely to me.

Notice the amount of polish lines just in front of the portrait and across the forehead and face which indicate the die was polished to remove the clash.  The areas that still show some of the clash are lower in relief than the sections of the die that were worked on.  Also look under the chin just above the "E" of IGWT and you can see additional markings form the clash that remain in the field.