• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1909 VDB with polished rim

42 posts in this topic

7DF29609-2F08-4E03-B1B9-09B274A7E02D.jpeg

BAB4F82F-A1C2-4FA3-879D-14D9EEE2B728.jpegSingle die polishing line extending from the R in Liberty to the back of Lincoln’s jacket.

Edited by Ratzie33

Do you think the polished edge increases the value?

No. That would have been done after the coin was struck so it would be considered damage. Would probably decrease the value.

I love Wheaties, always have, always will, but this is not my area of expertise. I wonder what a true aficionado would have to say about all this? Someone ring up Coinbuf!

42 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

I love Wheaties, always have, always will, but this is not my area of expertise. I wonder what a true aficionado would have to say about all this? Someone ring up Coinbuf!

Ratzie is off meds again.

Stands on edge very easily even in the middle of the curved  seat of a chair. Flat rims.

2448286E-3E17-4C70-A920-8A3848F8A5A9.jpeg

D98BBEBB-BF5A-4B40-A0D0-D8C19D9EF6ED.jpeg

Edited by Ratzie33

And the idea that it's a Matte Proof falls down equally quickly.

5 minutes ago, l.cutler said:

I have heard that the TPG's attribute coins the same way, by standing them up in chairs!  That clinches in in my book!

You "heard?"  C'est impossible! [Perhaps not as consequential a sieve as that afflicting the U.S. Supreme Court] but that flies in the face of what one forum user swore to, presumably on a stack of Bibles: what happens in the grading room, stays in the grading room. 

1 hour ago, kbbpll said:

I grade the chair VF20.

Do you think it will slab problem-free?

10 hours ago, Greenstang said:

No. That would have been done after the coin was struck so it would be considered damage. Would probably decrease the value.

I am aware of that, our friend Ratzie seems to have some doubts, though. I think he has found another coin for his wonderful collection of impossible unknown errors and varieties 

I guess looks and die markers can be deceiving?

Those rims are so sharp you’re liable to cut yourself.

Edited by Ratzie33

1 hour ago, Ratzie33 said:

Those rims are so sharp you’re liable to cut yourself.

Probably have better luck cutting yourself with a butter knife that those rims, or were you talking about the car?? :roflmao:

Also notice the rims are a completely different color than the rest of the overall coin. The seam where the two intersect is quite noticeable. One of the Matt proof diagnostics is that the rims are different in shade than the overall appearance of the rest of the coin.

52CEF0DA-502D-4D3F-9C70-CF8330D38AF2.jpeg

5318DF95-BE99-4324-9ADD-5F6BB542BB00.png