• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FINALLY...... A true 1972-S DDO!!!
2 2

25 posts in this topic

Never paid much attention to this proof set but I have now.  These coins have never been out of the case. My parents purchased them new (there’s several sets I have here). There’s some scratches on the plastic case but the coins are flawless. Any value here on this Lincoln? Good doubling on most all the letters, especially on IN GOD and TRUST as well as LIBERTY. Can’t really see much on the date but the S Mint Mark is a bit odd. These proof sets I have are my mother’s so I highly doubt she is willing to part with them (but who knows....money talks....). It would be nice however to let her know what this cent is possibly worth. Thank you.  

738825F6-8C05-41A6-B03A-6625D7B15144.jpeg

09ED74A9-670D-40B0-954D-AC67B7751C9A.jpeg

46 minutes ago, JKK said:

This is a parody post, right?

I’m sorry??  I know what parody means Sir but no, I’m not seeing something that is not there. Is that what you are referring to? With  all due respect of course JKK. 

To quote that Geico commercial guy with the long bill on his cap: "I don't see it."  Then again, I have cataracts, or so the eye doctor says. What's needed here is a Third Opinion. Anybody?

1 hour ago, Quintus Arrius said:

What's needed here is a Third Opinion. Anybody?

Thank you very much Quintus. Please allow me to zoom in on and post these pics of the original photos I posted on this thread earlier today. I’m very sorry you have cataracts and I hope the doctors are wrong. I have to admit that I was somewhat “taken back” by the earlier post of, “This is a parody post, right?”  Per Wikipedia, here is the definition I was rudely accused of:

Quoted, copy and pasted straight from Wikipedia, with all rights reserved: 

“A parody (/ˈpærədi/), also called a spoof, a send-up, a take-off, a lampoon, a play on (something), a caricature or a joke, is a work which is created to imitate and/or make fun of or comment on an original work—its subject, author, style or some other target—by means of satiric or ironic imitation.”

Rest assured, this is not a joke, a spoof, or an imitation. This is simply a beautiful Lincoln cent I possess that I believe to be a true proof variety. I would gladly appreciate an informative response from a third party as Quintus Arrius commented. Thank you. 

F2D00DCF-470C-44E1-8FD9-FB0304D03046.jpeg

5F7A3409-1ECE-440D-9914-2E7260AF4EAA.jpeg

A472BB49-39AE-4E29-A337-0B833718E5CA.jpeg

3DD94876-A58C-468A-AF05-E3F21B2F06D4.jpeg

I didn't accuse. I asked. It seemed obvious to me that you were having some fun with the oceans of purported doubled die posts we get around here. There was an outside chance you could actually be serious, though, and it looks like that was the case because you're now all offended by it. That's fine too.

Maybe, I see what looks like some MD but a few of the letters seem to have the characteristics of a DDO.  Problem is I cant match your coin to any of the known DDO's for this date on VV. 

Consider this. Every working die produced prior to about 1996 was a "doubled die". The dies were pressed against the hub more than once, until single-squeeze hubbing was implemented. With fresh dies and a good strike, or a proof strike in this case, you can always find stuff with a microscope. To me you have to see clear separation under low mag or even with naked eye before it's interesting, and some of the stuff on Wexler's... I think, really? That's a "doubled die" worthy of a listing? All I see is a fat letter. I can understand JKK's reaction, because you loudly and definitively proclaim that you "finally found one", and people go, huh? Where? (I mean, you do know what some of these obvious DD's look like, right?)

I don't want to say that yours is not a DDO, because like I said, they all are. I see a couple minute indications of actual "doubling", but it could be MD, and didn't they strike proofs twice? While it's cool to think you've discovered something, I'd focus on stuff that's already listed. Millions of people have looked at Lincolns for decades, so to think that you've found something new that somebody else will consider "valuable" is a real long shot when it's this invisible.

Possibly.  There does appear to be some doubly on IN that does not appear to be Machine Doubling  but the images aren't clear enough (upside down doesn't help either.) to be sure.

13 hours ago, Conder101 said:

Sorry Jgrinz, that doesn't look like a 72 S DDO  :)

Thank you Conder101 for that observation (I realized it too but I’ve tried to stay away from my own post lately.....). I’m very familiar with the normal Philly 72’ DDO. Mine is obviously a San Fran Proof Cent and Set. The pictures I took were while the coin was still inside the plastic holder and still is. I feel certain that if I opened up the case and took some good, clear and unobstructed photos, there may very well be a change or opinion here on this coin. The plastic no doubt does distort the images, especially with the scratches.  Just wondering if I should open up this case??  Not that this proof set is worth a fortune in and of itself, but would it be worth opening it up to better see this Lincoln??  Constructive comments are greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

13 minutes ago, Greg Bradford said:

The plastic no doubt does distort the images, especially with the scratches.  Just wondering if I should open up this case?? 

That may be the only way to get decent pictures. If you feel it really has some doubling, I say, "Open it up." And, you could post the pretty blue Jefferson on Ebay as a nicely toned proof. Not sure I would call it "cameo." but you could say it had "frosty devices" or something similar.

Prediction: a soon to be expanded interest in proof Jefferson nickels "of color". I'm not talking about rainbow toning or any of that faked junk. I'm talking about cobalt blue and lemongrass green/yellow coloring of the entire coin. Some get really deeply colored.

1 hour ago, VKurtB said:

Prediction: a soon to be expanded interest in proof Jefferson nickels "of color". I'm not talking about rainbow toning or any of that faked junk. I'm talking about cobalt blue and lemongrass green/yellow coloring of the entire coin. Some get really deeply colored.

I will have to get home this evening and open up the case to see the true color of the Jefferson. It does look to have a blue tint to it in the photo I posted but not sure if that was a result of reflection. I will let you know. Thanks. 

27 minutes ago, Greg Bradford said:

I will have to get home this evening and open up the case to see the true color of the Jefferson. It does look to have a blue tint to it in the photo I posted but not sure if that was a result of reflection. I will let you know. Thanks. 

Probably toning. Those older proof set holders are known for it. I have some pretty Jeffersons and Washingtons in some older proof sets, myself. I also have some cloudy Kennedys, but that is another subject altogether.

Warning, unlike todays proof sets, that set was NOT designed to be opened and reclosed.  Opening it will most likely destroy the holder so be ready to put all the coins in new protective holders.

8 hours ago, Conder101 said:

Warning, unlike todays proof sets, that set was NOT designed to be opened and reclosed.  Opening it will most likely destroy the holder so be ready to put all the coins in new protective holders.

Good point.  I have never done so and, quite frankly, never tampered with the flimsy stapled together specimens, pre protective holders (circa 1950s) but then, the gentleman wishes to photograph his coin(s) preparatory to sale. That's his prerogative, I guess.

I am sorry for my delayed response on this thread. I have been overwhelmed with both family and health issues.  As far as the Jefferson Just Bob, yes, it does have some very nice blue toning.

Regarding the Lincoln, I have decided against opening up the sealed holder as of now. I believe I can definitely see true doubling on this cent especially “IN GOD” and the B&E in LIBERTY, and I believe as well on several letters of TRUST. To preserve this entire package of coins, I am going to take this proof set to a professional photographer friend of mine who says he can eliminate the glare of the plastic holder and take crystal clear pictures, at no charge. I admit I have been wrong in the past regarding doubling but I have never posted anything that I did not sincerely believe was doubled and/or needed professional advice on. I would hate to break open this set and be wrong. Once I have the photos I will post them for review and comment. Thank you all for your input and comments and I hope to have something to post very soon.