• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGC coin dealers and Grading

7 posts in this topic

Hi I would like to know if I can get my coin graded by a local NGC coin dealer. Is that all I need to do? How do I know this person will know the type of coin variety? Sometimes collectors miss information. There is a coin dealer certified through NGC only about forty minutes from me. Should I mail it in or go to the local person? I want to get an official grade and have it put into the holder etc. so I know how much its worth and can authenticate it.

Hello and welcome to the forums; it sounds like that dealer is close so I would call and see about stopping by to discuss the coin you have.  Keep in mind that just because a dealer is affiliated with NGC he/she is not obligated to send in coins for customers.  Also you can join the collectors club here for $25 online by going to the NGC main menu and click submit for a drop down menu and submit again and then how to submit.  The associate level allows you to submit your coins directly to NGC, just follow the instructions or contact customer service if you have any questions.

Happy to help, just a suggestion if you can post clear in focus photos of both sides of the coin we might be able to give you some guidance and help you determine if the coin is valuable enough (and not a fake) to be worth sending in.  Whatever you chose best of luck.

Edited by Coinbuf

It came in a coin flip, but no official grade other than states GEM 2000P Sacagewea Dollar. I also have Sacagewea Proof coin from San Francisco so it's easier to compare the proof-like finish to the proof coin. I have a set with all three coins from 2000 but I bought a separate 2000P Sacagewea coin which I believe could be from the special Glenn Goodacre dye or Presentation. I am planning on sending them in to be authenticated and graded. I don't see any special designation on NGC coins for the Glenn Goodacre dye variety.

Here is the set I have. This has Sacagewea two uncirculated Denver and Philadelphia and the San Francisco is a Proof coin. My other coin is Proof-like because it looks like the San Francisco and its reflective, mint-state, uncirculated/GEM and shiny. But I Have no idea if its the Glenn Goodacre variety coin and I don't know how I will find it out since they are so rare to find only 5,000 exist with this special dye and in such a good state. I don't want to mess with it too much because I took it out of the holder, it seems to be sensitive but the person who sold it was a coin collector who may not have realized it was valuable. I really hope that it wasn't messed with, that's why I want to get it graded to make sure it wasn't polished or altered. I doubt that it was though, and I know I haven't altered it.

115928358_625662661682695_2464764797603507577_n.jpg

Some of the Goodacre dollars were originally holdered by NGC and then all 5000 were reholdered by ICGS. In both cases it was stated as a Glenn Goodacre issue on the holder so if yours was not in a PCGS holder, then it was not a Glenn Goodacre Sacagewea dollar as I'm sure no one would break it out and put it in a flip.

Edited by Greenstang
Correct autocorrect