• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So-Called Dollar Collectors not fairly represented by NGC
1 1

16 posts in this topic

As a So-Called Dollar Collector I feel that NGC does not support our "SCD COLLECTING HOBBY." As a life Member of ANA and 'presumably' NGC, I have found NO REASON to send raw medals to NGC for grading. It's infuriating to belong to an Organization so Unresponsive to Collectors they claim to Serve.

I would dare a representative of NGC to post a response as to why So-Called Dollars are not updated to include newly discovered and TYPED by Jeff Shevlin and others.

NGC needs my business far more than I need their's.

• Administrator
14 hours ago, Axel Ulen said:

As a So-Called Dollar Collector I feel that NGC does not support our "SCD COLLECTING HOBBY." As a life Member of ANA and 'presumably' NGC, I have found NO REASON to send raw medals to NGC for grading. It's infuriating to belong to an Organization so Unresponsive to Collectors they claim to Serve.

I would dare a representative of NGC to post a response as to why So-Called Dollars are not updated to include newly discovered and TYPED by Jeff Shevlin and others.

NGC needs my business far more than I need their's.

Hello @Axel Ulen,

Thank you for your post and I can understand your frustration. Unfortunately, the newly released book by Jeff Shevlin uses a different attribution system and we are not able to integrate these into our current format. I am not too familiar (unfortunately I am not a collector of SCD) with his book but I believe it is not a comprehensive text of all SCD either. 

We encourage our collectors to submit their collectibles along with documentation and/or notations for newly discovered pieces, sub varieties, etc. Please note that we will examine the piece as requested but can not always honor those requests as some may be too minor to distinguish.Attributions can carry a heavy premium on the market and we must be cautious when assigning them. 

5 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Well, your dare has been answered.

.... and I fully understand NGC's stance.  This is a field that is too nebulous and malleable right now to settle upon an attribution system.  I collect SCDs casually but new ones pop up sporadically, and there are new additions (or deletions!) from what's currently recognized as an SCD.

On 7/29/2020 at 7:03 AM, Matt G said:

Hello @Axel Ulen,

Thank you for your post and I can understand your frustration. Unfortunately, the newly released book by Jeff Shevlin uses a different attribution system and we are not able to integrate these into our current format. I am not too familiar (unfortunately I am not a collector of SCD) with his book but I believe it is not a comprehensive text of all SCD either. 

We encourage our collectors to submit their collectibles along with documentation and/or notations for newly discovered pieces, sub varieties, etc. Please note that we will examine the piece as requested but can not always honor those requests as some may be too minor to distinguish.Attributions can carry a heavy premium on the market and we must be cautious when assigning them. 

OK, Please research when the last time NGC UPDATED the registry population for SCD's  graded by NGC? The population of NGC graded SCD's has not changed in over a year.

Edited by Axel Ulen
syntax

Establish a relationship with Jeff Shevlin. Allow NGC to ignore them longer. 

On 8/2/2020 at 1:14 PM, VKurtB said:

Establish a relationship with Jeff. Allow NGC to ignore them longer. 

My complaint deals with the fact that NGC does not UPDATE the population of NGC GRADED So-Called Dollars on their "NGC GRADED POPULATION."

If one goes to: http://www.so-calleddollar.com/ and opt's for discussions, and scroll down to the last topic, "Is There a Serious Problem" one can read the comments from random SCD collectors AND Jeff Shevlin.

NGC is refusing to address an administrative problem which deals with the GRADED POPULATION OF MEDALS GRADED BY THEM.

Where is NGC's PROFESSIONALISM?

New forum and discussion topic suggestions

1 hour ago, Axel Ulen said:

My complaint deals with the fact that NGC does not UPDATE the population of NGC GRADED So-Called Dollars on their "NGC GRADED POPULATION."

If one goes to: http://www.so-calleddollar.com/ and opt's for discussions, and scroll down to the last topic, "Is There a Serious Problem" one can read the comments from random SCD collectors AND Jeff Shevlin.

NGC is refusing to address an administrative problem which deals with the GRADED POPULATION OF MEDALS GRADED BY THEM.

I don't think prompt updating of populations has ever been a high priority for any series, coin or medal. I twice had the Top Pop coin for a foreign coin that didn't appear in the population reports for nearly a year. The reports showed no PF70's, but I was staring at one in my hands. Bottom line: I don't put any faith in pop reports.

Edited by VKurtB

23 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

I don't think prompt updating of populations has ever been a high priority for any series, coin or medal. I twice had the Top Pop coin for a foreign coin that didn't appear in the population reports for nearly a year. The reports showed no PF70's, but I was staring at one in my hands. Bottom line: I don't put any faith in pop reports.

Sir, I was not speaking to YOU! or your collecting habits!

• Administrator
14 hours ago, Axel Ulen said:

Hello @Axel Ulen,

Thank you for your post. Please see a few remarks below. I hope this can clear up the SCD questions for all of our members as it can be tricky. 

1. Please understand that posting in an open forum such as the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions" section is meant to be addressed by fellow board members. I would like to ask that everyone extends courtesy to one another on the boards. There is an "Ask NGC" section of the boards which is monitored and answered directly by NGC representatives. You may also want to reach out to customer service at service@ngccoin.com. NGC members do not browse the individual threads but I happened to stumble across this one and tried to assist. 

2. The SCD Forum originated in 2011 (along with most of the content) and had a few positive responses of late. The NGC census data is tied to an internal numbering system for all coins. Due to the wide variety of attributions for SCD, Tokens and Medals (specifically those graded many years ago) were not always assigned a unique number which meant that they were not displayed in the census. For those older coins, collectors can contact our customer service team with the details, images, etc and request that they be added to the census. In most cases, we are able to honor these requests. 

3. The NGC Census is updated every week on Wednesday. Please see the screenshot below for reference. Any coins, with an assigned number, that were shipped through 8/8/20 will now appear on the census. NGC tries to ensure that all coins are included in the census in order to reflect accurate data for our collectors. 

Please feel free to contact our team via the methods above if you have any specific items that you wish to add to the census. Thank you. 

image.png

@Matt, then explain why my U.K. PF70's didn't show in the census for over 10 months. I understand what the policy book says will happen, but...

Edited by VKurtB

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

@Matt, then explain why my U.K. PF70's didn't show in the census for over 10 months.

Hi @VKurtB,

Unfortunately, I know some things but not all things. My guess is that it was excluded in error. 

Maybe you know THIS thing. Roughly how many returned labels from cracked out coins actually come back in, say, a month.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, VKurtB said:

Maybe you know THIS thing. Roughly how many returned labels from cracked out coins actually come back in, say, a month.

Hi @VKurtB,

We encourage collectors to submit their labels when cracking out coins and provide a $0.50 credit for every label received. We quickly remove these coins from the census in order to update the data. Unfortunately, we do not have a metric in place to track the volume as this is a manual process.