• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gold coin as brooch
2 2

16 posts in this topic

HI, I am a newbie. I just inherited a large coin collection which I am in the process of going through.  I plan to send a couple of gold coins to be graded. I also inherited a 1960 100 peso gold coin from Chile that has been made into a brooch with a filigree surrounding the coin, also gold. It is in very good condition and I only remember it be being worn once. Here is the question: can it be graded, or should I just have it melted? Thank you for your help

Those aren't the only two options.

• If you want it graded, pretty sure it'll have to come out of the bail/filigree first. Not sure if NGC does that.
  • You should not "have it melted." That makes zero sense.
  • If you want to get rid of it, ask a dealer what s/he will pay for it.
  • You could also sell it to a bullion place, but if there is an applicable numismatic premium, you will probably not receive it.

Also:

• One of the main reasons to send gold coins in for grading is to get them authenticated for sale.
  • What you consider to be very good condition might not be what collectors would.

4 hours ago, Maurine said:

Thank you. I will ask NGC if they would be willing to do that

I'm betting they won't, but if there's a jeweler you trust, they would probably be better option anyway.

And post a pic here, please.  :)

• Administrator

@Maurine Unfortunately, we are not able to safely remove coins from mountings. This would need to be done prior to submitting to NGC for grading. Thank you

5 hours ago, Maurine said:

Thank you. Here is a picture as requested. 

DSC_0412smaller.jpg

DSC_0414smaller.jpg

Good thing a photo was requested.  That fault line (rivaling that of the San Andreas) on the reverse side ought to settle the matter of numismatic worth. Worn only once you say? (Shame on the driver of that Mack truck.) As I am not licensed to conduct on-line autopsies, you should seek a more professional second opinion. 

Hi, well that's not a crack in the coin, it's the brooch pin that allows the wearer to attach it to their clothes. I don't have a specialty camera to take pictures, but if you enlarge it you can see it's not a break.

On the plus side, it is not soldered into the frame, so the mount should be relatively easy to remove without damaging the coin. On the negative side, it will probably still show scratches or other signs of having been in a mount, and it definitely has been cleaned, so it will not get a straight grade. The NGC World Coin Price Guide shows this issue to be worth only melt value in all grades, but with a mintage of only 200,000, it would seem like it would  be possible to get slightly more, if you could find a collector interested in it. That may not be the case, however, since the 1950 100 pesos, with a mintage of only 20,000, shows the same price estimate. Apparently there is little demand for Chilean gold, numismatically speaking, at the moment.

Pardon @Maurine for my hasty and intemperate remark. In all fairness, what you perceive as doubling appears to be a nuance of vibration.  On balance, I believe Just Bob's assessment is just right: Low mintage, apparently little demand coupled with a most unfortunate extended interment in an open casket (a/k/a a brooch) exposing it to all manner of potentially harmful elements. Thank God the gold market, presently, is in your favor. All the best!

24 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Pardon @Maurine for my hasty and intemperate remark. In all fairness, what you perceive as doubling appears to be a nuance of vibration. 

Perceive as doubling?  Where is that mentioned?

48 minutes ago, Morpheus1967 said:

Perceive as doubling?  Where is that mentioned?

Wow, my lying eyes have deceived me! Apparently, in post surfing I confused one with another. My sincere apologies. (Staying up so late in this New York heat wave I am beginning to unravel.) Oh, and thanks, Morpheus, for the heads up. Now where was I?

Any jeweler can quickly remove the coin from the mounting - it's intended not to damage the coin. Lift the small tabs on the reverse and the coin will fall out. The coin has been scrubbed so don't expect more than bullion value.

You are correct, I see the tabs now.  I had not noticed these before. Thank you, though as you say, it's still not worth more than the gold in it. Thanks to everyone for your help