• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dots on coin - from die?

6 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Newbie question: 

The coin in attached photo is for sale from a coin dealer. The portrait side of it has some "dots" at 1-2 o'clock and in Napoleons face. 

The seller says its marks from a poor die (rust in die, causing holes, and then "dots" on the coin).

Will this be treated as "Details" if NGC grade it?

Thank!

302849q00.jpg

If this is a well known issue for this date then it may receive a straight grade, have you seen is type of strike anomaly with this type of coin before?  I'm not a world coin collector so perhaps someone will respond that is.  I will say that the coin looks off in a few respects and I'm suspect of it being a fake, but as I said I have little knowledge in this area.

I looked through some on Heritage (I'm sooo bored) and there are a few with a small number of raised dots (https://coins.ha.com/itm/france/world-coins/france-napoleon-5-francs-1810-a-ms61-ngc-/a/3035-30494.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515 field around the last N for example) but not to this extent. I'd ask for more pictures.

If that's rim damage from 4 o'clock to 6 o'clock on the reverse that'll eliminate a straight grade as well.  Hard to tell if it's just a picture cropping issue though.

After enlarging the image the "dots" appear to me to be incuse into the coin and not raised.  If so they are from damage not a rusted die.