• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982 d small date penny
1 1

49 posts in this topic

Out of curiosity and for your own knowledge in the future, what made you think it was a Small Date?

There are 3 distinct markers identifying the two and your coin  all point to a Large date.

Hmm, interesting. The 2 was the dead giveaway to me that it is a Large Date.

This has to be one of the most asked questions on any coin forum and so far they have all been 100% wrong. No 1982D copper cents have been found.

Melissa, in order to help you identify your 1982D cents, look at the following photo. Personally for a quick identification, I just look at the distance of the 2 from the rim but you can also tell by the shape of the 8 and the 2.

1982 small large.jpg

Maybe I should have been more specific but your right,  I was referring to the postings on coin forums but if none had been found, nobody would be looking for them. I do know that there have been at least two 1982D small dates discovered. I think the last one sold for about $18,800.

Edited by Greenstang

On 7/28/2020 at 10:28 AM, Greenstang said:

This has to be one of the most asked questions on any coin forum and so far they have all been 100% wrong. No 1982D copper cents have been found.

Melissa, in order to help you identify your 1982D cents, look at the following photo. Personally for a quick identification, I just look at the distance of the 2 from the rim but you can also tell by the shape of the 8 and the 2.

1982 small large.jpg

I finally got that pic thank u. That helps so much

16 hours ago, Just Bob said:

The last coin posted is a small date.

Yay I've got 2 of them lol now what do I do with them? Pay $25 to have them graded and I've seen posts where people send off their coins and after 3 months still haven't heard anything

Just being a small date 1982-D is not enough. They also have to be the bronze alloy, and not copper coated zinc. 

They also have to be the bronze alloy, and not copper coated zinc. 

The scale that it is sitting on says it weighs 3.01g. Within tolerance for a copper cent.

10 hours ago, Greenstang said:

The scale that it is sitting on says it weighs 3.01g. Within tolerance for a copper cent.

Yes, IF the scale is accurate, and IF there’s no added Mint mark. Both alternative explanations are far more likely than it being another 1982-D small date bronze, if we’re being totally honest. 

Edited by VKurtB

The photo in the first post DOES appear to show an 82 D small date weighing 3.01 grams.  If that is true, then yes the next step will be to spend the money to send it to one of the Third Party Graders, PCGS, NGC, ANACS or ICG.  Most would recommend one of the first two.

6 hours ago, Conder101 said:

The photo in the first post DOES appear to show an 82 D small date weighing 3.01 grams.  If that is true, then yes the next step will be to spend the money to send it to one of the Third Party Graders, PCGS, NGC, ANACS or ICG.  Most would recommend one of the first two.

Here’s the problem with that theory, Conder. The first picture above, of the large date, reads 3.65 on Melissa’s scale. The later small date reads 3.01. We have prima facie evidence the scale is out of calibration. Or are you suggesting Melissa just happens to have in both alloys a cent that just happens to be about 0.5 grams high? Nope. Scale is off.

Edited by VKurtB

21 hours ago, Greenstang said:

Thank u so much and I have some 1982 d large dates that weigh well over 3 grams but my other ones weigh 2.4 to 2.6 and they feel and look different.i also have a 1983 d that is 3 grams

On 8/4/2020 at 10:25 AM, Greenstang said:

Before sending them off, would you supply a clear cropped picture of both sides. 

Thanks

On 8/4/2020 at 10:25 AM, Greenstang said:

Before sending them off, would you supply a clear cropped picture of both sides. 

Thanks

Thank u so much and I have some 1982 d large dates that weigh well over 3 grams but my other ones weigh 2.4 to 2.6 and they feel and look different.i also have a 1983 d that is 3 grams

1982 was a transitional year so some were made from copper (3.11g) and others were produced from the new Copper Plated Zinc planchets (2.5g)

37 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

1982 was a transitional year so some were made from copper (3.11g) and others were produced from the new Copper Plated Zinc planchets (2.5g)

Yes.i read on that and is why I bought my coin scale lol.im excited I also have a 1983 d 

8 minutes ago, Melissa6456 said:

Yes.i read on that and is why I bought my coin scale lol.im excited I also have a 1983 d 

Read this article:

https://www.numismaticnews.net/article/latest-copper-1983-d-cent-mystery#:~:text=Regular production 1983-D cents should be copper-plated zinc.,of %2415%2C000-%2420%2C000 or more based on past sales.

And you REALLY believe you have just miraculously found one? I'm not sure if you're that gullible, or you think I am.

16 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Here’s the problem with that theory, Conder. The first picture above, of the large date, reads 3.65 on Melissa’s scale. The later small date reads 3.01. We have prima facie evidence the scale is out of calibration. Or are you suggesting Melissa just happens to have in both alloys a cent that just happens to be about 0.5 grams high?

No, when I popped in here earlier it took me to the first unread post which was her post of the small date.  I thought that was the first post in the thread and didn't see the "overweight" large date.  So yes most likely the scale is off.

8 hours ago, Conder101 said:

No, when I popped in here earlier it took me to the first unread post which was her post of the small date.  I thought that was the first post in the thread and didn't see the "overweight" large date.  So yes most likely the scale is off.

I'm going to buy a new set of scales