• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982 d small date penny
1 1

49 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Melissa6456 said:

Well everyone I got some newer scales and are indeed accurate and I am now taking pics of the front and back of the 1982d small date copper cent

Pardon me if I remain skeptical. 

I'm still skeptical, (I am VERY skeptical of the claim they have two of them)  but encouraged.  If the new pictures pan out then the next step will be for them to invest the money into having it slabbed.

On 8/18/2020 at 3:19 PM, Melissa6456 said:

Well everyone I got some newer scales and are indeed accurate and I am now taking pics of the front and back of the 1982d small date copper cent

Ok i need your guys help ive got so many 1982 d pennies and these are just the copper ones lol that even though I've looked at every example there is used everything to verify which ones are the small date abd large date they all are starting to look alike so im just gonna post pics if all of them lol

1 hour ago, Melissa6456 said:

Ok i need your guys help ive got so many 1982 d pennies and these are just the copper ones lol that even though I've looked at every example there is used everything to verify which ones are the small date abd large date they all are starting to look alike so im just gonna post pics if all of them lol

Oh yay. Know why they all look the same? Guess. Because it’s 99.9999% certain they ARE all the same, all Large Date. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 8/18/2020 at 3:21 PM, Coinbuf said:

Cool show us what you got.

On 8/5/2020 at 11:23 AM, Greenstang said:

1982 was a transitional year so some were made from copper (3.11g) and others were produced from the new Copper Plated Zinc planchets (2.5g)

On 7/28/2020 at 11:48 AM, Greenstang said:

Maybe I should have been more specific but your right,  I was referring to the postings on coin forums but if none had been found, nobody would be looking for them. I do know that there have been at least two 1982D small dates discovered. I think the last one sold for about $18,800.

CM200919-003402053-1.jpg

CM200919-003413054-1.jpg

Can someone clarify for me the weights? All 1982 pennies are either 3.1g or 2.5g. What is the significance of the 3.07 weight of the 2 that have been verified? Also is it only D mint mark?

Edited by Rdietrick

Can someone clarify for me the weights? All 1982 pennies are either 3.1g or 2.5g. What is the significance of the 3.07 weight of the 2 that have been verified? Also is it only D mint mark?

The tolerance for a copper CENT is + - .12g so 3.07 is well within spec.

It is the copper 1982D Small Date that is the valuable coin.

On 9/19/2020 at 7:07 PM, Greenstang said:

The tolerance for a copper CENT is + - .12g so 3.07 is well within spec.

It is the copper 1982D Small Date that is the valuable coin.

Yes the 1982small date copper without the d I've read can be worth $1,000 but the small date 1982 d copper is known for going for around $18,800

22 hours ago, Melissa6456 said:

Yes the 1982small date copper without the d I've read can be worth $1,000 but the small date 1982 d copper is known for going for around $18,800

No, not normally. A 1982 small date copper with no mint mark is typically a 30 cent coin, in MS65 condition, not $1000.

If you were to find the 1982-D small date copper, it would likely be a six-figure coin. Only 2 are known so far.

I have literally a STACK of 1982 7 coin Lincoln cent sets, all in BU condition, that I got for less than a dollar each. They only are missing the "impossible" coin. You're more likely be hit by a solid gold meteorite.

Edited by VKurtB

On 1/13/2024 at 3:50 AM, WeSat Coins said:

It appears to be a fake to me🤢Sorry if it was that stinks! Did you ever get your answer!?

That's a very old thread with the op long gone.  The post you quoted was with the old inaccurate scale they had which was reading about 0.5g over.  So that 1982-D SD cent likely had an actual weight around 2.5g consistent with copper plated zinc, which is not the super rare one.

On 1/13/2024 at 3:36 AM, EagleRJO said:

That's a very old thread with the op long gone.  The post you quoted was with the old inaccurate scale they had which was reading about 0.5g over.  So that 1982-D SD cent likely had an actual weight around 2.5g consistent with copper plated zinc, which is not the super rare one.

Well aware that it was an old post. Thought maybe op hadn’t forgotten how to read in the past 3 years or so. However, I do appreciate such a studious and thought provoking response to my statement intended for a completely different person other than yourself. In a world full of hate and ill intent I choose to offer words of encouragement anytime that I can. I see that kind of malice isn’t tolerated in this chat that you obviously own. I’ll see myself out the door, thanks for being so welcoming of a new person to your forum. Good evening and salutations….

On 1/13/2024 at 5:37 AM, WeSat Coins said:

I’ll see myself out the door, thanks for being so welcoming of a new person to your forum.

Not my forum, it's NGC's.  As far as I'm concerned you are welcome to stick around.  I have found it's a good and pretty tolerating grading company, with an open and informative forum that NGC takes more of a hands-off approach to and allows members of the forum to offer honest opinions concerning grading coins.