• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Could this be a new discovery of a Roosevelt dime with a special matte finish ?!?!?!
1 1

486 posts in this topic

On 8/3/2020 at 3:02 PM, VKurtB said:

All it takes is a stout collar, like from an IGC slab insert, or an older NGC one, or even an AirTite gasket or ANY type of gasket,

Or just put a layer of wax on the edge before you give it the acid treatment.  Then a little bit of very hot water to remove the wax and you're done, etched faces with a pristine edge.

Another way to do it might be with a laser.  We already know they use a laser to make the matte frosted devices on proof dies, but you could also just do the entire face of the coin.  The laser is perpendicular to the face of the coin so it will never touch the edge.

And of course as mentioned earlier sand or bead blasting.  The blaster is also perpendicular to the face so it will not touch the edges either.

Edited by Conder101

[Forget about giving a thread legs.  We, the devoted RR2020 fraternity, have given this thread golden wings. May the outpouring of knowledge and affection from this spigot continue unabated to time indefinite, even forever.]

1 hour ago, Quintus Arrius said:

As a certified admirer of RichieRich2020, I am prepared to make him a very attractive offer for the coin, which evidently skewed the orbit of the earth more so than the last cataclysmic, wide-ranging tsunami (2004) get this now, sight unseen AND prior to submission and authentication.

I can do this because apparently, with the exception of a few hold-outs, you guys just don't get it. You do not understand RichieRich2020. And I, destined to win by 37 lengths, do. Ha! Ha! Ha!

Well I truly appreciate the gracious offer and compliment ... especially since I believe that someone else in the beginning of the thread also made a handsome offer to pay $10,000 for it if the coin should come back as anything other then the wide list of opinions here ... And don't ask me how i know it but im pretty sure that it will . But either way if you would like to make an offer like you said then im all ears . But please keep in mind that I have to stand firm on the fact that I believe it is A ONE OF KIND which means no other collector has one in their collection.  And which is why im also sure that no one in the entire post has bothered to share a single coin along with all the creative comments to dispute the coins actual finish ... 😉 

Edited by RichieRich2020

51 minutes ago, Conder101 said:

Or just put a layer of wax on the edge before you give it the acid treatment.  Then a little bit of very hot water to remove the wax and you're done, etched faces with a pristine edge.

Another way to do it might be with a laser.  We already know they use a laser to make the matte frosted devices on proof dies, but you could also just do the entire face of the coin.  The laser is perpendicular to the face of the coin so it will never touch the edge.

And of course as mentioned earlier sand or bead blasting.  The blaster is also perpendicular to the face so it will not touch the edges either.

Well that sounds like great idea . However the only problem with that idea is ... if you tried putting a layer of wax around the edges of the coin before sandblasting it then I'm pretty sure that there would have to be some traces of the wax somewhere inbetween the grooves of the coin and since there isn't any then unfortunately it can't be the wax experiment theory ... but either way it still was a nice idea . And I'm also sure that anyone who loves experimenting on coins would probably love to try it themselves .... infact it sounds like a simple enough thing to try so maybe you should trying it and let us all know how it really turned out . Because I'm dying to know if any of the creative ideas that people have shared would look anything remotely close to the actual finish on the coin in the post .... Yes that would certainly be a excellent treat indeed   . 😉 

Edited by RichieRich2020

43 minutes ago, Conder101 said:

Again great ideas guys ... And if anyone actually tries any of these ideas and they work  . Then please let me know because i would truly LOVE to actually see how these creative experiments turned out with the coins finish and edges 

Miracles do happen, a fact worth acknowledging. I keep thinking about that kid who received a letter from a government official stating no 1943 copper pennies were made. Good thing he put it in a drawer at home.  He was vindicated years later.  Too bad he didn't live long enough to enjoy the fruits of his discovery.

3 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

Oh my!  Where is LucyBop when you need her?

Googled Lucy Bop and got a You Tube video with neither likes nor dislikes for my trouble. I want my money back!

1 minute ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Googled Lucy Bop and got a You Tube video with neither likes nor dislikes for my trouble. I want my money back!

You must go back to the 'days of yesteryear'  to find her.  

13 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Miracles do happen, a fact worth acknowledging. I keep thinking about that kid who received a letter from a government official stating no 1943 copper pennies were made. Good thing he put it in a drawer at home.  He was vindicated years later.  Too bad he didn't live long enough to enjoy the fruits of his discovery.

I agree and great point ... im sure he was probably told it was nothing special or maybe even environmental damage with a smooth finish  . Lol

Edited by RichieRich2020

17 minutes ago, RichieRich2020 said:

I agree and great point ... im sure he was probably told it was nothing special or maybe even environmental damage with a smooth finish  . Lol

Actually, much worse.  He was told what he was holding in his hand, didn't exist!  In bureaucrat-speak, of course.

22 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Actually, much worse.  He was told what he was holding in his hand, didn't exist!  In bureaucrat-speak, of course.

Wow ... Well i guess i shouldn't be too surprised at this point . And I can imagine how he was probably feeling after giving up hope only to be told YEARS later that he had discovered that rare diamond . 

Edited by RichieRich2020

It must be wonderful to know more than everyone else. And to be able to dismiss all explanations that you don't want to believe, while holding on to your own, no matter how unlikely it is. 

There's no way that the coin should ever be submitted to a grading company for authentication. Because they either don't know their stuff or would be involved in a conspiracy with the rest of the numismatic world to treat the submitter unfairly.

Yes, the best thing to do is just keep the unique, priceless coin, as is, and enjoy it forever. 

2 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

It must be wonderful to know more than everyone else. And to be able to dismiss all explanations that you don't want to believe, while holding on to your own, no matter how unlikely it is. 

There's no way that the coin should ever be submitted to a grading company for authentication. Because they either don't know their stuff or would be involved in a conspiracy with the rest of the numismatic world to treat the submitter unfairly.

Yes, the best thing to do is just keep the unique, priceless coin, as is, and enjoy it forever. 

Why actually Markfeld i am certainly Looking forward to hearing anything else besides  weird science theories and expert guessing . And im also very sad to hear that you feel I don't want to believe anything or might think i know more then anyone else . Because I really don't think I do .  But what I do know is what I was told by the coin dealer . And so you might want to go back read a little more of the previoys comments i shared ... Especially the part that specifically says:  The MATTE FINISH YOUR SEEING by Fred Weinberg because it might help take the edge off a little ... 😉 

3 hours ago, RichieRich2020 said:

Well that sounds like great idea . However the only problem with that idea is ... if you tried putting a layer of wax around the edges of the coin before sandblasting it then I'm pretty sure that there would have to be some traces of the wax somewhere inbetween the grooves of the coin and since there isn't any then unfortunately it can't be the wax experiment theory 

You do realize even the smallest amount of indirect heat will melt wax, right?  

1 hour ago, Morpheus1967 said:

You do realize even the smallest amount of indirect heat will melt wax, right?  

Sure and you do realize that there should still be some traces of it somewhere inbetween the grooves on the edges of the coin right ? 

Edited by RichieRich2020

13 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

This OP is hopeless, and, and, and pointless and worthless too.

Well now those are some very strong and offensive words . But I learned a very long time ago that the only kind of people who would call other people worthless are the ones who probably know that they are worthless themselves ... 

You know, if you would have just submitted the coin back when you started this thread, it might have already been on it's way back to you.  Bu we all know you won't submit it, even if you say you will.  I wish you actually realized who some of the folks are that you are arguing with lol.  The fact that you don't tells us all quite a bit about your numismatic experience.  

54 minutes ago, RichieRich2020 said:

Well now those are some very strong and offensive words . But I learned a very long time ago that the only kind of people who would call other people worthless are the ones who probably know that they are worthless themselves ... 

I’m sorry, you are correct. Worthless means without worth. That’s not right. On this thread you possess negative worth.

23 minutes ago, Morpheus1967 said:

You know, if you would have just submitted the coin back when you started this thread, it might have already been on it's way back to you.  Bu we all know you won't submit it, even if you say you will.  I wish you actually realized who some of the folks are that you are arguing with lol.  The fact that you don't tells us all quite a bit about your numismatic experience.  

Well no actually your wrong and it actually doesn't ...  because what  it should actually be telling you is ... is that I like to actually do my research rather then just believing anything I'm told to believe because of who that person is .... because sometimes you can find out years later that it wasn't what you were actually told at all like with the 1943 copper cent and the 7million dollar coin that EXPERTS TOLD THEM WAS FAKE 

1 hour ago, VKurtB said:

This OP is hopeless, and, and, and pointless and worthless too.

Well, I wouldn't go that far. As my, er, uh, sister once said (paraphrasing slightly) there is nothing wrong with the OP.  He is what he represents himself to be and how we choose to perceive him. The real problem is US, the collector community, which repeatedly engages a subject that quite evidently is unwilling or unable to yield to mob pressure. After all, with the touch of a thumb or click of a mouse, the problem takes care of itself very nicely. The only spectators who come out ahead are Alex B or Mr. Hinkle who tune in strictly for the entertainment value. 

21 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Well, I wouldn't go that far. As my, er, uh, sister once said (paraphrasing slightly) there is nothing wrong with the OP.  He is what he represents himself to be and how we choose to perceive him. The real problem is US, the collector community, which repeatedly engages a subject that quite evidently is unwilling or unable to yield to mob pressure. After all, with the touch of a thumb or click of a mouse, the problem takes care of itself very nicely. The only spectators who come out ahead are Alex B or Mr. Hinkle who tune in strictly for the entertainment value. 

Very well said because I do wish that some of these guys who love to comment strictly for the purpose of entertainment would just find another post to troll ... infact i can actually take the EXPERT GUESSING and even all these WEIRD SCIENCE COIN THEORIES.  But not anymore of these weak insults because i think theyve started to make me get very sleepy when I hear them ... 😴😴😴

Edited by RichieRich2020

35 minutes ago, RichieRich2020 said:

Well no actually your wrong and it actually doesn't ...  because what  it should actually be telling you is ... is that I like to actually do my research rather then just believing anything I'm told to believe because of who that person is .... because sometimes you can find out years later that it wasn't what you were actually told at all like with the 1943 copper cent and the 7million dollar coin that EXPERTS TOLD THEM WAS FAKE 

For purposes of accuracy, there is no "7 million dollar coin" that experts said was fake. Yes, the coin was incorrectly said to be a copy, but that "7 million dollar" figure is off by millions of dollars.

5 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

For purposes of accuracy, there is no "7 million dollar coin" that experts said was fake. Yes, the coin was incorrectly said to be a copy, but that "7 million dollar" figure is off by millions of dollars.

Geesh well excuse the typo ...  LOL 😆 

Here is the way the claim of a discovery coin is treated, and it is treated this way because it is the only intellectually honest way to treat it:

As the French mathematician Pierre-Simon Laplace so eloquently  put it, "The weight of evidence for an extraordinary claim must be proportioned to its strangeness."

David Hume wrote in 1748: "A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence", and "No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such a kind, that its falsehood would be more miraculous than the fact which it endeavors to establish."

Marcello Truzzi says: "An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."

In other words, @RichieRich2020, it does not fall upon anyone to disprove what you think you have. Because it is a purported "discovery coin", the ultimate in an "extraordinary claim" as applied to numismatics, it falls to you to prove that it is what you say it is. Annnnnd, the evidence you produce needs to be extraordinary. Enjoy the journey before you. I know I absolutely will.

16 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Here is the way the claim of a discovery coin is treated, and it is treated this way because it is the only intellectually honest way to treat it:

As the French mathematician Pierre-Simon Laplace so eloquently  put it, "The weight of evidence for an extraordinary claim must be proportioned to its strangeness."

David Hume wrote in 1748: "A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence", and "No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such a kind, that its falsehood would be more miraculous than the fact which it endeavors to establish."

Marcello Truzzi says: "An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."

In other words, @RichieRich2020, it does not fall upon anyone to disprove what you think you have. Because it is a purported "discovery coin", the ultimate in an "extraordinary claim" as applied to numismatics, it falls to you to prove that it is what you say it is. Annnnnd, the evidence you produce needs to be extraordinary. Enjoy the journey before you. I know I absolutely will.

I most certainly will enjoy that journey and as a matter of FACT the pleasure will be all mines ... 

All "mines"? Like those deep holes in the ground into which you may fall? Indeed.