Could this be a new discovery of a Roosevelt dime with a special matte finish ?!?!?!
4 4

444 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, VKurtB said:

I'm done with Quintus Arrias. He's either being intentionally provocative (also known as 'trolling') or is so ignorant of coin industry terminology to render himself incapable of being reasoned with.  He is an prime example of the rise of anti-intellectualism, in which "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge". A "diagnostic marker" as something intentionally put there by somebody? C'mon, maaaan. Get a grip, or at least some knowledge. You're playing around with things beyond your knowledge, Quintus. Either you never have known what the *spoon* you're talking about, or you've gone senile.

I think maybe he could be richies significant other. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Alright, would anyone care to posit a guess as to who placed the marker on the coin, when, and why?

Most that are talking markers are thinking of something that comes from the die. The die places the marker on the coin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quintus is just another “fat head” with a fat wallet, fat enough to buy a first place registry place on an extremely thinly collected European bullion coin with only 18 coins. That doesn’t mean he knows squat about bupkiss, as he repeatedly exhibits here. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thank I. Cutler who was kind enough to respond to my query in a civilized  manner without insults, name-calling and disparaging remarks.  The only dumb question, I was always told, is the one that goes unasked.

[Goodfellas, 1990, Joe Pesci:  "You embarrass me in front of my friends and you don't think your being out of order?"]

To the mercurial types out there:  There are more socially acceptable ways to express your annoyance, frustration, impatience, intolerance and anger.  Bear in mind, there is a wider audience, including younger people new to coin collecting, watching.

I would like to thank all of our sponsors for keeping this thread running.  However, if the intermittent outbursts of enmity on this thread continue, I will have no choice but to underwrite the cost of the OP's contemplated, long-delayed submission, in full. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Quintus is just another “fat head” with a fat wallet, fat enough to buy a first place registry place on an extremely thinly collected European bullion coin with only 18 coins. That doesn’t mean he knows squat about bupkiss, as he repeatedly exhibits here. 

Sixteen coins, chief. And bupkis is spelled with only one "s".  (If it had been a St. Gaudens double-eagle compilation, no one would've had didley-squat to say about it.)  Roosters purchased sight unseen from the comfort of my home with the use of my wife's phone in collaboration with my right thumb. An extraordinary undertaking which has apparently

 

25 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Quintus is just another “fat head” with a fat wallet, fat enough to buy a first place registry place on an extremely thinly collected European bullion coin with only 18 coins. That doesn’t mean he knows squat about bupkiss, as he repeatedly exhibits here. 

captured your attention, and won't let go!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know if Quintus Arrias thinks he's being cute or ironic, or whatever, but being encouraging or solicitous of RichieRich2020's nonsense in any way whatsoever is serving nobody's best interests - not Quintus', not RichieRich2020's and most certainly not the hobby's at large. It only serves to promote or engender blatant misinformation in this hobby that already suffers from far too much of it already. We need to shut down this pernicious garbage as if we were collectively Barney Fife. No, darn it, it's not important to be nice, it's important to be correct.

 

So far we've got a clown and a clown car driver working together. Any big shoe vendors or makeup artists want to join in?

image.jpeg.744cc45d7f9f0555c4a20dd2b1699ecc.jpeg

Edited by VKurtB
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, World Colonial said:

I'm not aware you are going to get NGC or PCGS to test your coin.  Are you willing to incur this expense? It certainly won't be cheap.. We are likely talking about hundreds of dollars at minimum.  I don't think they do this in-house and for the reasons you have read here, don't believe they would agree to send it out either.  And they shouldn't.

What testing do you propose and what exactly is there to test?  I have never heard of testing for environmental damage which is what you are being told here.  Will you even accept the results, from anyone?  Your replies here indicate you won't.

I don't even remember what everyone else has written by now but the point I was making in my last reply is that there is no record of a matte FDR dime ever being struck.  Or if there is, I have no knowledge of it.  

I'm aware of unrecorded coins being recognized but usually (always?) it's from a time when the US (or other) Mint didn't keep comprehensive records or the records were later found to support the claim.  RWB who posted above would know about that, as he is one of the foremost researchers of US coinage alive.

I don't know about other TPG.  "insider" works for one of them but even if they agree to do it and agree with you, it's almost a certainly that it won't be accepted by most collectors because that's the reality of the marketplace.  It won't "cross" to NGC or PCGS which means most collectors won't recognize it either.  (The 1936 South Africa "MS" farthing is a "not close at all" example.  NGC recognizes it because it's in Krause but the price indicates there is substantial doubt over its classification.)

The last point I'll make here is that your posts make it evident you don't understand what drives collector demand which would make this coin worth what you think it should be.  A few posts here have indicated it's "possible" but as usual, they write in the abstract.

The rarity alone isn't enough to make anyone want it.  That's part of what I was explaining in my prior posts.  The "No S" dimes are presumably expensive for the reasons I gave, included first in the Red Book and then later added to Registry Sets.  If NGC or PCGS don't recognize your coin (which they won't for all the reasons here), you'll never get it added to the registry which means it's never going to be worth what you want either.

So it sounds like to me that your replies are solely motivated by your own disbeliefs and your apparent dissatisfaction of my post . Like saying that there is no record of any FDR dimes ever being struck with a matte finish to imply that it's totally IMPOSSIBLE and inconceivable . And to me that just goes to show that your in-depth knowledge of coins only goes as far as WHAT YOU BELIEVE IT IS dispite all the evidence and other coins in the world that have been discovered which NO ONE BELIEVED EXISTED . And so with that being said I think it would be wise to no longer address the slot of these negative comments because I too see that it would be totally pointless to hold a intellectual discussion on the topic . Since you clearly have all the answers without no testing as many others in thread . :golfclap:(thumbsu

Edited by RichieRich2020
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, VKurtB said:

I don't know if Quintus Arrias thinks he's being cute or ironic, or whatever, but being encouraging or solicitous of RichieRich2020's nonsense in any way whatsoever is serving nobody's best interests - not Quintus', not RichieRich2020's and most certainly not the hobby's at large. It only serves to promote or engender blatant misinformation in this hobby that already suffers from far too much of it already. We need to shut down this pernicious garbage as if we were collectively Barney Fife. No, darn it, it's not important to be nice, it's important to be correct.

 

So far we've got a clown and a clown car driver working together. Any big shoe vendors or makeup artists want to join in?

image.jpeg.744cc45d7f9f0555c4a20dd2b1699ecc.jpeg

To the coin God VKurtB who calls other people post  pernicious garbage ... I think that it's about time for you to take a nap or get your diaper changed or find something more productive to do with your special time at the old folks home . Because you see I for one do not care for things like status or acceptance which is why I still stand firm on the coin I've discovered with the unique Finish dispite your magical wave of the hand or any coin company that may dismiss it without conducting ALL the appropriate test to rule out what it actually is ....  And more importantly let us all never forget about the guy who was told BY NUMEROUS COIN EXPERTS how the coin he possessed was nothing when in reality it was actually a rare coin kind worth millions . Because to me I believe that alot of THE KNOW IT ALLS HERE COULD STAND TO LEARN A THING OR TWO FROM WHAT HE PROVED TO THEM ... :wink: :tonofbricks:

Edited by RichieRich2020
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Wondercoin said:

Hi guys.  I.cutler... thank you for amplifying, if not even better articulating, my observation concerned what appeared to me to be quite possibly a marker that might be helpful in hunting for other dimes of this date with that same marker.  If, other dimes were found with the matching marker (and I was not making any distinction with a difference using the word “diagnostic” in lieu of “die”), I think it would be helpful to the OP’s hunt for the truth on what precisely happened to the subject dime of this thread.  

And, you are correct, I.cutler, that my reference to this marker was not intended to suggest this coin was “something special” at all.  As I thought I clearly stated in my original post, perhaps the top authority in the country on this subject concluded the subject dime was a regular business strike example (and hence, essentially worth around a dime).  But, I also understood the OP’s mindset desiring a different outcome- what owner wouldn’t!  And, thus, I suggested putting in some time and effort trying to track down other dimes of this date with that marker and seeing where that hunt might take the OP.  

One point of clarification on a related discussion of this thread.  The finest known 1975 No S Dime did not sell for $516,000.00 at public auction.  It was purchased (by me, my son and my friend Steve) at the Heritage public auction late last year for a record price of $456,000.00.  And, it then resold less than a week following that auction in a private treaty transaction for the new record price of $516,000.00.  A discussion of this great dime can be found on the homepage of my son, Justin’s, website (monstercoinmart.com).  

Wishing you a speedy recovery OP from your injuries! 
 

Wondercoin (do I really only post here less than 4x a year on average!)

Well I must say that I truly feel honored to have someone so dedicated to share their thoughts to a little OP when they say they only post 4× comments a year . And so please allow me say whether I'm right or wrong about the coins finish I truly appreciate your honesty and fed back on the topic especially with all the I AM COIN RULER COMMENTS . Because I'm certain that there's not too many coin collectors here who would shell out $456,000 on a single coin let alone $516,000 . And yet they all seem to have all the answers as to why SERIOUS and dedicated coin collectors like your self chose to do so .... LOL . 

But either way . Thank you again for you mature and unbias comments . Because It was rewarding enough to me regardless of the outcome of what my heart and eyes keep telling me it really is .... 

Oh and one last important thing ... Aside from a missing S dime error . And against all the apparent negative comments . In your personal and honest opinion as a serious collector if you had the chance to own A ONE OF A KIND COIN THAT NO OTHER SERIOUS COLLECTOR POSSESSED OR BELIEVED TO EXSIST . Then what would you personally feel a coin like that would be worth TO SERIOUS COLLECTORS solely on RARITY ...

Edited by RichieRich2020
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RichieRich2020 said:

So it sounds like to me that your replies are solely motivated by your own disbeliefs and your apparent dissatisfaction of my post . Like saying that there is no record of any FDR dimes ever being struck with a matte finish to imply that it's totally IMPOSSIBLE and inconceivable . And to me that just goes to show that your in-depth knowledge of coins only goes as far as WHAT YOU BELIEVE IT IS dispite all the evidence and other coins in the world that have been discovered which NO ONE BELIEVED EXISTED . And so with that being said I think it would be wise to no longer address the slot of these negative comments because I too see that it would be totally pointless to hold a intellectual discussion on the topic . Since you clearly have all the answers without no testing as many others in thread . :golfclap:(thumbsu

I can't believe the way that you treat people. It's sad you have to act that way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ldhair said:

I can't believe the way that you treat people. It's sad you have to act that way.

Well im truly sorry if you feel that I'm treating anyone unkindly even if that is clearly not the case here ... Infact to be totally honest ive had to learn from other people in the world including people in these coin circles how not to be timid amongst the wolves that really do exist ... In otherwords I do wish that we all could just be amicable when addressing one another and trying to get accurate answers to unicorn coins that don't exist . But unfortunately I'm sure that won't ever be the case and so i guess I just have be that Baaaaaaaad sheep that all the wolves have a particular distaste with 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ronnie stein said:

You've had three offers, you turned them down. What amount of U S dollars do YOU think your coin is worth?

Well I do apologize Ronnie Stein because I honestly wasn't aware that I had any SEROIUS offers presented to me ... infact I've had a very close friend of mines who also gives me good advice and opinions everyday on these topics who also says that HE didn't see any serious offers either .... But please forgive me if you think I've insulted or offended anyones offers since that is not my intention ... And please tell me exactly what these 3 offers were that you are referring to or what YOU THINK A FAIR OFFER SHOULD BE  ?  Because I've seen a few mind blowing suggestions here already Although Im told I shouldn't take them seriously ...

Edited by RichieRich2020
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.  Since you are always welcome to jump in if only to invigorate your thread, why not adjourn the matter until such time as when you get sufficient rest, heal and recover your strength. You will be sorely missed by all in your absence but recovery from serious injuries cannot be rushed or willed away.  Get your rest and feel free to rejoin the fray when you feel your ready. You've made lots of friends on this site and together we can figure out how to address the matter of tracking down other coins with the unique distinguishing marker. As a fellow collector, I wish you all the best!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.  Since you are always welcome to jump in if only to invigorate your thread, why not adjourn the matter until such time as when you get sufficient rest, heal and recover your strength. You will be sorely missed by all in your absence but recovery from serious injuries cannot be rushed or willed away.  Get your rest and feel free to rejoin the fray when you feel your ready. You've made lots of friends on this site and together we can figure out how to address the matter of tracking down other coins with the unique distinguishing marker. As a fellow collector, I wish you all the best!

This post is a joke right?  I ask because this entire thread has been a complete farce.  In 14 years on this forum and both reading and participating on others, I don't recall another thread which is worse than this one.

Sure, I am, as guilty as anyone else here for participating and should have known better.  I have also encountered posters who don't like hearing opinions contrary to their personal preference but nothing even close to this one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

I will have no choice but to underwrite the cost of the OP's contemplated, long-delayed submission, in full. 

That settles it then. You two work out the details in private and we'll await the results.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.  Since you are always welcome to jump in if only to invigorate your thread, why not adjourn the matter until such time as when you get sufficient rest, heal and recover your strength. You will be sorely missed by all in your absence but recovery from serious injuries cannot be rushed or willed away.  Get your rest and feel free to rejoin the fray when you feel your ready. You've made lots of friends on this site and together we can figure out how to address the matter of tracking down other coins with the unique distinguishing marker. As a fellow collector, I wish you all the best!

 

 

Thank you QA ... I'll most certainly try to take heave to this positive wisdom and humble advice . But until then please don't ever throw away the unique ability you possess trying to open other people eyes ... Because Youve certainly opened mines and I appreciate it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, World Colonial said:

This post is a joke right?  I ask because this entire thread has been a complete farce.  In 14 years on this forum and both reading and participating on others, I don't recall another thread which is worse than this one.

Sure, I am, as guilty as anyone else here for participating and should have known better.  I have also encountered posters who don't like hearing opinions contrary to their personal preference but nothing even close to this one.

It never ceases to amaze me with those people who have all the right answers ... :facepalm:

Edited by RichieRich2020
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Quite frankly, the only aspect I find irresistibly intriguing is the presence of that "diagnostic marker" which not a single viewer of this thread has addressed head-on either by concurring, or outright refutation.  WonderCoin did NOT equivocate. I do hope, after recovery from his injuries -- this is not a matter of urgency and can be pursued at one's leisure -- RichieRich2020 gets to the bottom of this most encouraging lead and solves the mystery. [And Alex, I hereby declare you to be the King of the Emojis! 😀 Keep up the good work!]

IMO, there is a 95% chance that the "diagnostic marker" is either a heat bubble or a hit on the coin.  Perhaps Richie will take a closeup  of it when his head and bone injuries heal. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, RichieRich2020 said:

It never ceases to amaze me with those people have all the right answers ... :facepalm:

He didn't have an answer, he just spoke the TRUTH.   Every so often threads as this occur and they go on and on.  They are usually less entertaining than this one. 

It's 12:30 where I live in FL.  Richie, you seem to be a night owl too.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a remarkable thread.  The OP is adamant about what he believes he has, and for his trouble the thundering herd has run roughshod all over him.  But the task that lies ahead is daunting: putting out an APB for a specific edition of coin with similar markings and I don't know that the OP, in view of his debilitating injuries, is equal to the task. The vast majority of his posts are pleas for help presented in his own inimitable fashion. There was one post, however, that stood out from the rest and in it he was jarringly lucid. I don't know if the vast majority of replies were posted while under the influence of painkillers or not, but negotiating a complex thread without them is difficult enough, and so, I should like to recommend rest. When he has recuperated sufficiently, we can all take up arms again in furtherance of his cause.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

RR2020- I made 3 offers. The first one was $20.20, in jest. The second was for $30, sincerely. No response, so the third offer I was just being facetious, no disrespect intended. I offered a coin worth a $1000 and a sports card that I don't own worth over a half million. All offers are off. My opinion is what RWB responded, without elaborating, to your original question, a simple 'no'. Coin talk aside, I sincerely wish you a speedy recovery, and good luck with your endeavor in the future. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, World Colonial said:

This post is a joke right?  I ask because this entire thread has been a complete farce.  In 14 years on this forum and both reading and participating on others, I don't recall another thread which is worse than this one.

Sure, I am, as guilty as anyone else here for participating and should have known better.  I have also encountered posters who don't like hearing opinions contrary to their personal preference but nothing even close to this one.

March 2004 - The War of the Words with the people ATS.

Now please carry on folks; sorry for the interruption.

:popcorn:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

This is a remarkable thread.  The OP is adamant about what he believes he has, and for his trouble the thundering herd has run roughshod all over him.  But the task that lies ahead is daunting: putting out an APB for a specific edition of coin with similar markings and I don't know that the OP, in view of his debilitating injuries, is equal to the task. The vast majority of his posts are pleas for help presented in his own inimitable fashion. There was one post, however, that stood out from the rest and in it he was jarringly lucid. I don't know if the vast majority of replies were posted while under the influence of painkillers or not, but negotiating a complex thread without them is difficult enough, and so, I should like to recommend rest. When he has recuperated sufficiently, we can all take up arms again in furtherance of his cause.  

A few who commented here earlier are among the most knowledgeable coin experts anywhere.  Mark Feld used to work for NGC as a grader, used to be a dealer, and now works at Heritage.  RWB is one of the most accomplished researchers.  "Insider" who just commented also works for a TPG now,.  Obviously, I (and others here) place more reliance on them than the two of  you, especially in the absence of any evidence which neither of you have provided..

Since you seem to believe his claim is credible, why don't you try explaining:

What reason is there to believe it is an "undiscovered" coin?  

How many times has this happened with a comparable modern US coin and how is it relevant to this one?

I'd also like to know what testing you plan to underwrite on his behalf.  Presumably it's a genuine FDR dime.  What else do you expect any test to disclose?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Alex in PA. said:

March 2004 - The War of the Words with the people ATS.

Now please carry on folks; sorry for the interruption.

:popcorn:

Those were fun times...😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MAULEMALL said:

Those were fun times...😁

Fun times???  How many of those people are on this forum today?  I was gone by 2006 / came back in 2010 and nobody I knew was here.  Left again.  In fact there were so few that it's a miracle NGC kept this forum up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

Fun times???  How many of those people are on this forum today?  I was gone by 2006 / came back in 2010 and nobody I knew was here.  Left again.  In fact there were so few that it's a miracle NGC kept this forum up.

That’s easy to explain. CU will ban you if you so much as hint that their grading firm isn’t perfect, and CT is run by egotistical maniacs who are both blind and stupid, or going senile. So what’s left?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
4 4