• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Could this be a new discovery of a Roosevelt dime with a special matte finish ?!?!?!
1 1

486 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Just Bob said:

No, I don't think it is unrealistic at all. A serious collector who does not have Roosevelt dimes in their collection may not like Roosevelts, or Moderns in general, and may choose not to have any in their collection, regardless of the finish on the coin.  A collector of Trade Dollars or gold Double Eagles or Maria Theresa Thalers or Greek Staters (all buyers whom one would expect to have deep pockets) would probably not be interested in this coin at all. Even someone who is putting together an Eliasberg style set would probably pass on this coin, instead opting for a normal high grade example. The fact that you see this coin as special does not mean that every collector would.

Not only is it unrealistic, the inference to which you responded is ridiculous.  Even if the OP's coin by some miracle is what he claims, to 99.99%+ of the collector base it's both uninteresting and undistinguished.

First, outside of maybe the more recent series (starting with State Quarters), I'd rate the FDR dime as the US series with the absolute lowest preference.  It's either this one or the SBA dollar.  Outside of specialization practiced by US collectors (which I won't get into now), it's an extremely common series which anyone can complete in one day in practically any quality, except when some narrow or arbitrary criteria is applied.  It's also a small coin with a design that most collectors don't really like and we are talking about a clad coin here which is generally less preferred than the silver.

Second, this type of scarcity isn't meaningful to hardly anyone, even an FDR dime collector.  It's unsubstantiated to believe that anyone who doesn't collect the series would want this coin at the absurdly inflated price the OP apparently thinks it should be worth.  I infer that this occurs with the "No S" proofs but that's probably because these are listed in the Red Book and included in registry sets.  More importantly, these coins have a history of high prices which presumably leads these buyers to believe they recover their purchase price, most of it at least.  Probably some speculator buyers here also.  Who wants to be first to pay an outsized inflated price for this coin?  Is the OP going to do it and if not, why would anyone else?

Bottom line is that there are far more interesting coins (as in hundreds or thousands depending upon what the OP thinks it should be worth) for the same money that practically everyone who can afford to pay his price would rather buy.

10 hours ago, Just Bob said:

I need to clarify something in my above post. When I mentioned the coin being deemed a pattern, I left out the fact that this would require verification from the mint itself, plus being listed in Judd or a similar listing of known patterns. This is unrealistic, considering that the dime is normal except for the finish, but I mentioned patterns because they often fall under the category of "unique," and so were included in my search for average prices. I believe the coin was altered after it left the mint, but, if it proved to be genuine, I think it would be viewed as an error coin, and would probably bring between one and two thousand dollars at auction at most.

Well First of all thank you for your in-depth input and opinion on the matter . But I've decided to give up trying to debate and convince anyone of the professional looking finish on the coin especially since from the very outset my post was being attacked in EVERYWAY POSSIBLE ... from it being called a RARE form of Environmental damage that somehow leaves a SMOOTH EVEN FROSTY FINISH .To it being a sandblasted coin despite the FACT that it takes a professional to apply a finish of that kind which such quality and precision ... But anyway . The bottom line here is . Although I don't fully agree with your assessment that it would be worth between 1,200 and 50,000 ... and then dropping way down to 1,000 to 2,000  . I do agree with your statement of it being worth what someone is willing to pay for it.  And more importantly what I myself would be willing to sell it for if I ever chose to sell it to A SERIOUS COLLECTOR who truly values ONE OF A KIND coins ... And in regards to it being a ONE OF A KIND . I still think it makes the coin ABSOLUTELY PRICELESS  to the right collector. . But then again that is just my opinion and the opinion of a local coin and antique auctioneer in my city . So I'll agree to disagree with your valuation . And in the mean time . Thank you for taking the time out and weighing in . I do appreciate it . 

Edited by RichieRich2020

11 hours ago, Just Bob said:

. . . .Remember, a coin is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it at the moment it is being sold, so, at any given auction, it depends on who is buying, and how much they want the coin

These are my personal opinions. Feel free to accept or reject them as you wish.

I, for one, accept your personal opinion only because you set the bar high by wielding the simple, straightforward truth.

In assembling my collection of Roosters, a 16-piece set, price was no object.  I did not concern myself with esoteric considerations like Fair Market Value and future return on investment. I set my sights on the highest available grades. There is no question but that I unfairly skewed the valuation of Roosters and, if anyone were to charge me with being the scourge of the internet as regarding Roosters  I would have to accept responsibility. Interestingly, I would not engage in that practice today in light of a bull market which has all but dampened my enthusiasm for rote, mindless buying. It is by sheer dint of luck that I managed to amass a set comprised of quality gems with extraordinary eye appeal -- sight unseen. No certified collector I know has ever done that.  You, Just Bob, would not do that!  So you are correct. A deal is in the offing only when both sides make an accommodation at a specific moment in time at a point of sale.

12 minutes ago, Insider said:

I've got a semi-unique coin.  Only two were struck.  It must be worth a fortune!  I want to sell mine but the only person in the world who would want it already owns the other one.   :(

Well, I own a 1903 French 20-franc gold rooster, semi-unique.  Only two were graded PCGS MS-65, none graded higher. I do not recall what I paid for it but it is certainly not worth a fortune. I know who the other owner is because his specimen, like mine, is lodged in a Set Registry. I have no idea whether he would be interested in acquiring another example, but I doubt it. Now, according to Just Bob's assertion it's future value, if either of us decides to sell, will depend on who is prepared to make an attractive offer for it -- and when. I can live with that. My work is done.

Well just to elaborate a little on the comment In which someone boldly indicated that Roosevelt dimes are not that sought after or valuable to SERIOUS COLLECTORS with deep pockets . I thought it would be a good idea to point out that just recently as last year . A modern 1975 proof Roosevelt dime that is simply missing the S mint mark sold at auction for an astounding $516,000. And yes you did hear that correctly ... I said it sold for an astounding $ 516,000 Which is OVER A HALF MILLION DOLLARS FOR A MODERN BORING ROOSEVELT DIME ... And I won't even include all the other modern Roosevelt dimes that have actually sold for thousands of dollars simply because of a boring mint error or because they have full bands or a high grade which im sure some coin experts with decades of experience would probably also deemed to be very insignificant or not sought after by deep pocket collectors . In otherwords . You see the point I'm trying to make is . If you do a little more research on what modern error dimes have actually sold for on the market you would clearly see that your evaluation or assessment on what deep pocket collectors are willing to pay for ONE OF A KIND DIMES is wrong because to me call me crazy but the market is telling me that their might actually be a collector out their who values ONE OF A KIND modern dimes slot more then others .... but if YOU don't really think so as you suggested and you have some very nice graded dimes of your own that you think arent that sought after or valuable... then please do me a tiny favor and let me take them all off your hands for a few bucks and I promise you that I'll make sure they all find a good home :whatev::takeit:

[ Aside: I cannot speak to the desirability of a Roosevelt dime, per se, as I do not know, but I got a big kick out of Just Bob's choice of coin to mark his 5,000th posting:  why, of course, a Roosevelt dime from the 1950's! ]

5 hours ago, RichieRich2020 said:

Well just to elaborate a little on the comment In which someone boldly indicated that Roosevelt dimes are not that sought after or valuable to SERIOUS COLLECTORS with deep pockets . I thought it would be a good idea to point out that just recently as last year . A modern 1975 proof Roosevelt dime that is simply missing the S mint mark sold at auction for an astounding $516,000. And yes you did hear that correctly ... I said it sold for an astounding $ 516,000 Which is OVER A HALF MILLION DOLLARS FOR A MODERN BORING ROOSEVELT DIME ... And I won't even include all the other modern Roosevelt dimes that have actually sold for thousands of dollars simply because of a boring mint error or because they have full bands or a high grade which im sure some coin experts with decades of experience would probably also deemed to be very insignificant or not sought after by deep pocket collectors . In otherwords . You see the point I'm trying to make is . If you do a little more research on what modern error dimes have actually sold for on the market you would clearly see that your evaluation or assessment on what deep pocket collectors are willing to pay for ONE OF A KIND DIMES is wrong because to me call me crazy but the market is telling me that their might actually be a collector out their who values ONE OF A KIND modern dimes slot more then others .... but if YOU don't really think so as you suggested and you have some very nice graded dimes of your own that you think arent that sought after or valuable... then please do me a tiny favor and let me take them all off your hands for a few bucks and I promise you that I'll make sure they all find a good home :whatev::takeit:

I am the one who made the comments you referred to and what I stated is 100% correct.  I am aware of this coin (1975 "No S") and others like it (since I mentioned it first) but none of these coins have any equivalence to yours.  

You are biased and cannot accept opinions contrary to your personal preference.  Opinions I might add, which are a lot better supported than yours.  I explained here why coins such as the "No S" proofs are worth this kind of money.  How are you going to get yours recognized to get it added to the Red Book and registry sets because that's literally about the only way what you want is going to happen?  The alternative is a random buyer who has no motive to pay what you think it should be worth which is about as likely as being struck by lightning on a clear day.

Do you have any idea of the low preference for the FDR dime as a series?  Yesterday (again) I looked at the Heritage archives.  Heritage has sold over 53,000 US coins valued at $10,000 or more.

How many are FDR dimes? 42, the vast majority are 1968 "No S" proofs, 41 are proofs and one is a 1964 SMS.

Do you now see why I wrote what I did?  What I wrote isn't an opinion but a fact you can verify for yourself. 

A low number of US collectors (certainly isn't anyone else) buy these coins.  I'm not even sure most of them collect the FDR dime as a series given its basement level preference.  A noticeable proportion might be buying it for appreciation or for the 68, buy the more expensive US moderns generally.  This last statement is an inference (not "fact") since it's evident the number of bigger budget collectors of the FDR dime is very low. 

Regardless, the Heritage data proves it's an immaterial number and there is no basis to believe that, other than for speculation or the one in a million random buyer, any other collector wants these coins, never mind yours at the price you think it should be worth. 

The reason they don't is because this kind of scarcity isn't meaningful to them, the more expensive FDR dimes aren't competitive to them as a collectible, and they won't pay what you think your coin is worth because they have no reason to believe they can recover their money at resale.

In almost 15 years participating on coin forums, I have seen (and contradicted) numerous opinions from those who have inflated views of what they own or collect.  Most of the time, these people are "drive by" posters who come to financially promote what they have as you have done.  But in all the examples I have seen, yours has the least merit.

Speaking from a fly-on-the-wall perspective, I believe we are getting ahead of ourselves here. The coin needs to be authenticated/certified first before we can talk about what price it may or may not fetch at auction.  If memory serves, I do not recall seeing a space on any submission form that a collector can use to alert a grader to the presence of a "diagnostic marker." Would this be routinely discovered during the grading process or is it something the submitter ought to point out? I am not taking sides here and wouldn't want to posit a guess as to any final determination.

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Missing word

12 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Speaking from a fly-on-the-wall perspective, I believe we are getting ahead of ourselves here. The coin needs to be authenticated/certified first before we can talk about what price it may or may not fetch at auction.  If memory serves, I do not recall seeing a space on any submission form that a collector can use to alert a grader to the presence of a "diagnostic marker." Would this be routinely discovered during the grading process or is it something the submitter ought to point out? I am not taking sides here and wouldn't want to posit a guess as to any final determination.

If you are referring to my prior comments, what I wrote is independent of whether the coin is what the OP says it is.  That's my entire point in writing what I did.

The only reason (literally) anyone wouldn't see this is because they don't understand the factors which drive collector preferences and what motivates them to collect.

The only exceptions are what I stated, either a financial speculator who isn't buying his coin as a collectible (but as an "investment") or the abstract random buyer who effectively doesn't exist.  This hypothetical buyer is the response everyone else here has provided to the OP to concur it "might" happen.  This is a meaningless truism which can literally be applied to practically anything.

There is no point in mentioning it as a possibility since we all know it isn't going to happen.  The OP has been pretending it's feasible but that's all it is, a pretense.

To provide an additional explanation on this blatantly obvious conclusion, recently on the PCGS forum, someone disputed my claim that non-collectors and collectors outside the US won't ever buy the subject coin of the other thread.  I'm not naming the coin but it's one of the most prominent coins worth millions.

I can easily support this claim (and did) while no one who disagrees with me can provide any believable reason why the alternative outcome can happen, other than for the same reason I provided for the subject coin of this thread.  The reason they can't is because people generally and collectors don't have the motives they imply which is why these claims are always made in the abstract.

49 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

All he has to do is put "matte finish" in the comments box. They'll reject the idea, and send it back in an "Altered surfaces" labelled body bag. End of saga.

Edited by VKurtB

14 minutes ago, Morpheus1967 said:

OP won't even take the time to send it in, nor do I think he ever will.  I'm sure he (or she, for that matter) is quite amused at the lot of us banging our heads against the wall refuting each of his ridiculous claims.  

Talk is cheap. If the OP doesn't take appropriate action (Authentication) with his coin - it is worth a dime and all the talk is meaningless. If he is able to sell the coin - it is worth what the buyer pays for it to the buyer - not anyone else. I hear a lot of talking and no action which tells me the OP knows it's not what he is stating that it is and just wants to talk about it. 

Edited by Zebo
Clarification

7 hours ago, RichieRich2020 said:

We could do a much better job of discussing this topic if you would ease off on the sarcastic attitude a bit.

Yes, I am well aware of the 1975 no S dime, as well as the other three no S dimes, the 82 no P, and other Roosevelts that are highly sought after. After all, I have been collecting the series for many years, I have studied the series quite a bit, and do know a little about these coins. If you go back and read my comments, you will notice that I said "generally," meaning, in this context, "most, but not all." There are always exceptions. But, you are comparing two completely different items. The no S dime is a known, listed rarity, which is necessary to have a complete set of all date/mint mark combinations. Since there are only two known, there is competition for them. Your coin, according to you, is a special finish piece that was somehow released into circulation. (If I am wrong about that, please correct me) In order for it to bring the six figure price that I assume you think it is worth, there has to be a buyer for it. I just don't think the market is what you think it is for that type of coin.

As I and others have stated, this is all just speculation as long as the coin remains raw. Without authentication from a major service, the coin is worth ten cents, or whatever you can get someone to pay for it. Why don't you go ahead and send it in, and let's get this matter settled, once and for all? If it is real, by all means, come back on here and brag as much as you want. I will eat crow with the rest of the members, and, to be honest, will be extremely happy for you. :grin:

59 minutes ago, MAULEMALL said:

how the fork did this topic last longer than Roosevelts administration? 

If you want PART of the real answer, it’s because I have sworn to adopt the motto, “Qui tacet consentire videtur”. I refuse to let such blatant silliness stand. 

Edited by VKurtB

3 hours ago, Morpheus1967 said:

OP won't even take the time to send it in, nor do I think he ever will.  I'm sure he (or she, for that matter) is quite amused at the lot of us banging our heads against the wall refuting each of his ridiculous claims.  

This. There's a certain personality that loves getting under people's skin. I don't waste much bandwidth on it, and the Ignore feature has made this a very peaceful thread for me. The peripheral discussion is interesting and entertaining though.

1 hour ago, MAULEMALL said:

how the fork did this topic last longer than Roosevelts administration? 

Unrealistic and argumentative op who cannot accept any of the perfectly reasonable theories as they don't support his, plus a bromance where QA feels its his duty to protect the op with his novel long posts of drivel and there you have it twice the posts half the fun.

Edited by Coinbuf

1 minute ago, Coinbuf said:

Unrealistic and argumentative op who cannot accept any of the perfectly reasonable theories as they don't support his, plus a bromance where QE feels its his duty to protect the op with his novel long posts of drivel and there you have it twice the posts half the fun.

Wait! Queen Elizabeth is posting?!?! QA maybe?

Edited by VKurtB

11 hours ago, Just Bob said:

We could do a much better job of discussing this topic if you would ease off on the sarcastic attitude a bit.

Yes, I am well aware of the 1975 no S dime, as well as the other three no S dimes, the 82 no P, and other Roosevelts that are highly sought after. After all, I have been collecting the series for many years, I have studied the series quite a bit, and do know a little about these coins. If you go back and read my comments, you will notice that I said "generally," meaning, in this context, "most, but not all." There are always exceptions. But, you are comparing two completely different items. The no S dime is a known, listed rarity, which is necessary to have a complete set of all date/mint mark combinations. Since there are only two known, there is competition for them. Your coin, according to you, is a special finish piece that was somehow released into circulation. (If I am wrong about that, please correct me) In order for it to bring the six figure price that I assume you think it is worth, there has to be a buyer for it. I just don't think the market is what you think it is for that type of coin.

As I and others have stated, this is all just speculation as long as the coin remains raw. Without authentication from a major service, the coin is worth ten cents, or whatever you can get someone to pay for it. Why don't you go ahead and send it in, and let's get this matter settled, once and for all? If it is real, by all means, come back on here and brag as much as you want. I will eat crow with the rest of the members, and, to be honest, will be extremely happy for you. :grin:

Well due to some little money restraints that im currently experiencing in real life as a result of a bad motorcycle accident that left me with 5 broken ribs , a broken scapula and a torn shoulder ... It caused me to drain all my savings while I took time letting my bones heal up and so unfortunately ive been unable to send it in as of yet ... And hopefully this will help these little ones who keep attempting to imply that I'm being reluctance to send it in since they clearly dont understand rather then just trying to CREATE a reason of their own ... Now I still have to stand very firm and STRONGLY disagree with your theory that there is probably not a market for such ONE OF KIND COINS like the highly sought after NO S variety you compared it to ... because In my personal opinion a coin SIMPLY MISSING a S when compared to a business strike coin having a SPECIAL FINISH that it is not supposed to have unlike any other coin in the world would be an even greater discovery to me seeing as though THERE IS SIMPLY NO OTHER COIN LIKE IT KNOWN TO EXSIST . And you see I think that THAT FACT ALONE for any serious collectors would hold VERY SIGNIFICANT VALUE by itself .  And not to forget the demand for NEW DISCOVERY PIECES have to FIRST be created through articles , marketing and other factors none of which have yet happened in order to see what other collectors will really think about it as well . And so in otherwords for ANYONE to try and assume that other collectors wouldn't care or see the coin as being valuable if no more valuable as the NO S variety would simply be like trying to put the carriage before the horse in this situation ....  And again that is just my personal opinion and I'm going to stand firm on it until I can have it authenticated and appraised by several different grading companies and collectors despite how much anyone in thread would like me to simply just accept their opinion and agree with THEIR WAY OF THINKING because they strongly believe They have all the answers ...

And oh yea  one last important thing.... If it did somehow come back as authentic with a low ball valuation when it is a ONE OF A KIND COIN . Then chances are I would more then likely be HAPPILY BURIED WITH IT or just pass it along down in the family since it would clearly be part of History with regards to me finding the only SPECIAL OR EXPERIMENTAL FINISH DIME IN THE WORLD . Because believe it or not It's not always about the money for some people ....

Edited by RichieRich2020

52 minutes ago, RichieRich2020 said:

Well due to some little money restraints that im currently experiencing in real life as a result of a bad motorcycle accident that left me with 5 broken ribs , a broken scapula and a torn shoulder ... It caused me to drain all my savings while I took time letting my bones heel up and so unfortunately ive been unable to send it in as of yet ... 

Perfectly understandable. Hope you get well soon!

36 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

1 hour ago, RichieRich2020 said:

Well due to some little money restraints that im currently experiencing in real life as a result of a bad motorcycle accident that left me with 5 broken ribs , a broken scapula and a torn shoulder ... It caused me to drain all my savings while I took time letting my bones heel up and so unfortunately ive been unable to send it in as of yet .

I wonder what the excuse was a couple years ago when he argued this coin on another forum??

8 minutes ago, bsshog40 said:

Well due to some little money restraints that im currently experiencing in real life as a result of a bad motorcycle accident that left me with 5 broken ribs , a broken scapula and a torn shoulder ... It caused me to drain all my savings while I took time letting my bones heel up and so unfortunately ive been unable to send it in as of yet .

I wonder what the excuse was a couple years ago when he argued this coin on another forum??

Easy, easy now!  Let's not kick a man when he's down!  RichieRich2020 is the personification of this thread. And without him we are left with nothing but the trial of pyck, or some such historical artifact. I hope he recovers soon...

6 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Well I certainly appreciate it ... And I've almost healed up pretty good with the exception of not being able to sleep properly ... which probably explains why I'm always up at 3 and 4 in the morning responding to some of these amazing comments . And not to mention it was also REALLY BAD TIMING with Corona going on .... Because at first I thought I would simply heal up and just get back to my business as normal ... but that was up until my most LOYAL customers started telling me that they couldn't use my services with their business being slow ... So i Guess It was just crazy timing 

3 minutes ago, bsshog40 said:

31 minutes ago, bsshog40 said:

No need to come to my defense QA ... Because trust me I'm sure that if anyone goes back and read my previous comments they too will see how I clearly explained to the TROLL how I was persuaded by other coin experts to believe that the coin was probably not worth looking into but luckily decided to stash the coin away for more thorough research ...  So that more TROLLS like himself could offer his expertise with ZERO SUPPORT to anything that he ever has to say ... :blahblah::roflmao:

Edited by RichieRich2020

1 hour ago, RichieRich2020 said:

No need to come to my defense QA ... Because trust me I'm sure that if anyone goes back and read my previous comments they too will see how I clearly explained to the TROLL how I was persuaded by other coin experts to believe that the coin was probably not worth looking into but luckily decided to stash the coin away for more thorough research ...  So that more TROLLS like himself could offer his expertise with ZERO SUPPORT to anything that he ever has to say ... :blahblah::roflmao:

I think that you mistake who the actual troll is here. Here's a definition of what you have started!

to act as a troll (see TROLL entry 3 sense 2) on (a forum, site, etc.)… is also notorious, for trolling message boards on the Internet

3 minutes ago, bsshog40 said:

I think that you mistake who the actual troll is here. Here's a definition of what you have started!

to act as a troll (see TROLL entry 3 sense 2) on (a forum, site, etc.)… is also notorious, for trolling message boards on the Internet

And I suppose that is not who you are and exactly what you do ... Especially since you clearly seem to love visiting other sites hoping to create havoc in this post:roflmao: