• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Could this be a new discovery of a Roosevelt dime with a special matte finish ?!?!?!
1 1

486 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, RichieRich2020 said:

You know what ... I really feel a little embarrassed and ashamed if it ended up turning out that I was wrong this entire time . Especially since I know that alot of people on here probably secretly hope that Im wrong... But then again I'm not really to worried about it since I feel like the blind is leading the blind and because I know for a fact that theres alot of people on here who care more about Recognition then they do about FACTS AND IMPORTANT DETAILS  ... 👨🏻‍🦯👩🏼‍🦯👨🏻‍🦯

Honestly, I am not really concerned about whether you are right or wrong. I am, however, obligated to defend, with my life if necessary, your right to express your opinion in a public forum. For the sake of keeping things on an even keel, I am going to assume all this animosity and ill will, some latent, most blatant, is simply a by-product of the heat and humidity we have all been experiencing of late. Tomorrow is another day I always say.

39 minutes ago, Big Nub numismatics said:

We will remember this thread for a very long time lol.

Yes --- at least 20 seconds, maybe less.

Ooops --- forgot already.

A few historical points that argue against this coin being what RR2020 says it is:

1) There have been no, repeat no, sandblast coins EVER produced at the Denver Mint. P, S, W? Yes. Denver, no. Denver is a tiny Mint without room for experimentation. They don’t even have a die shop. They BARELY have room for a gift shop.

2) The very first one produced and released is the 1994 nickel (note: NOT a clad coin) in the Jefferson Coin & Currency Set. This is a year AFTER the 1993-D dime here.

3) That 1994 nickel was UNANNOUNCED, completely. No mention of its finish was in the sales literature. The hobby was unaware of it until an article about the special surface was published in Numismatic News. The author of that article was, wait, I’ll look it up, oh yeah, ME!
4) And if all this weren’t enough, the “fact” (as if...) that the reeding is unaffected is irrelevant. I have Matte Finish coins I have made, with a mild acid and an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner, and their edges don’t look to be affected either. 

4a) THIS is my acidic solution. It takes about 24 hours to get a finish like the OP’s dime.
D5324A29-20B0-41C2-9E0B-2DDA0905F6D7.jpeg.eddc37e4cf01a009b557300465dd32a9.jpeg

5) I shouldn’t have to go to all this bother to prove anything to a newbie troll. Frankly, my word backed by my experience should be enough. 

Edited by VKurtB

13 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Honestly, I am not really concerned about whether you are right or wrong. I am, however, obligated to defend, with my life if necessary, your right to express your opinion in a public forum. For the sake of keeping things on an even keel, I am going to assume all this animosity and ill will, some latent, most blatant, is simply a by-product of the heat and humidity we have all been experiencing of late. Tomorrow is another day I always say.

No body is suppressing his ability to express his opinion, although by now I suspect many here wish for that.  When you show a coin and experts have rendered opinions biased on many years of research and experience and you throw that knowledge away in favor of your own fantasy you lose any and all credibility.  And at least two very real and plausible explanations as to what and how the op's coin came to be have been put forth which the op has also ignored; well regardless of what you think the op not only deserves but has asked for every bit of the animosity and ill will he receives.

1 hour ago, VKurtB said:

They don’t even have a die shop.

Seems to contradict another source (https://www.doubleddie.com/58201.html) - "A major turning point for hub and die production in the U.S. Mints came in the summer of 1996 when the Denver Mint opened its own die making shop". Otherwise this thread is no longer worth bothering with I think...

1 hour ago, kbbpll said:

Seems to contradict another source (https://www.doubleddie.com/58201.html) - "A major turning point for hub and die production in the U.S. Mints came in the summer of 1996 when the Denver Mint opened its own die making shop". Otherwise this thread is no longer worth bothering with I think...

Well they didn't have one in 1993, when the "matte coin that is not" was made. And Philly still does all master hubs and die, meaning no "design work" is ever done at Denver.

Edited by VKurtB

3 hours ago, VKurtB said:

A few historical points that argue against this coin being what RR2020 says it is:

1) There have been no, repeat no, sandblast coins EVER produced at the Denver Mint. P, S, W? Yes. Denver, no. Denver is a tiny Mint without room for experimentation. They don’t even have a die shop. They BARELY have room for a gift shop.

2) The very first one produced and released is the 1994 nickel (note: NOT a clad coin) in the Jefferson Coin & Currency Set. This is a year AFTER the 1993-D dime here.

3) That 1994 nickel was UNANNOUNCED, completely. No mention of its finish was in the sales literature. The hobby was unaware of it until an article about the special surface was published in Numismatic News. The author of that article was, wait, I’ll look it up, oh yeah, ME!
4) And if all this weren’t enough, the “fact” (as if...) that the reeding is unaffected is irrelevant. I have Matte Finish coins I have made, with a mild acid and an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner, and their edges don’t look to be affected either. 

4a) THIS is my acidic solution. It takes about 24 hours to get a finish like the OP’s dime.
D5324A29-20B0-41C2-9E0B-2DDA0905F6D7.jpeg.eddc37e4cf01a009b557300465dd32a9.jpeg

5) I shouldn’t have to go to all this bother to prove anything to a newbie troll. Frankly, my word backed by my experience should be enough. 

Regrettably, there is nothing in my vast arsenal that can effectively counter what you have coughed up here today. To think there was once a time when collectors were chided for taking pencil erasers to coins! Acid? Where does acid fit it in on the restoration-conservation continuum?

1 hour ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Regrettably, there is nothing in my vast arsenal that can effectively counter what you have coughed up here today. To think there was once a time when collectors were chided for taking pencil erasers to coins! Acid? Where does acid fit it in on the restoration-conservation continuum?

Soundly and firmly in the "experimentation to figure out what people are doing" category. You see, I'm not only a collector, but a researcher as well.

Edited by VKurtB

41 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Soundly and firmly in the "experimentation to figure out what people are doing" category. You see, I'm not only a collector, but a researcher as well.

Research, you say. Just curious... do the mining companies use cyanide to leach precious metals from the ground in open-pit operations because the alternative is markedly more expensive, or because there isn't one? (Been reading up on the mining going on in a small town in Mexico.)

4 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

No body is suppressing his ability to express his opinion, although by now I suspect many here wish for that.  When you show a coin and experts have rendered opinions biased on many years of research and experience and you throw that knowledge away in favor of your own fantasy you lose any and all credibility.  And at least two very real and plausible explanations as to what and how the op's coin came to be have been put forth which the op has also ignored; well regardless of what you think the op not only deserves but has asked for every bit of the animosity and ill will he receives.

Well, I for one am going to let the gentleman practice his religion as he sees fit.

4 hours ago, Alex in PA. said:

To those who post in this forum I wish to express my heart felt gratitude for providing this amount of entertainment.  

:roflmao:xD:banana::applause:

My sentiments, exactly!

8 hours ago, VKurtB said:

.... no "design work" is ever done at Denver.

This is an incredible, er uh, assertion [I, again, am absolutely unable to contest]!  I mean, if we were talking Dahlonega, I would be inclined to accept it.  But Denver. DENVER? Meaning what, Philadelphia is King? (And S.F. is a mere footstool?) I, the rank amateur, never knew this. Such esoteric thoughts have never even occurred to me. One thing for sure, on this site, forum, chatroom, you VKurtB, are a mighty contender! There are comments you have posted here, in casual, off-handed manner, that reflects a deep, intimate first-hand knowledge of operations I am definitely not privy to.  Insider knowledge.  Stuff that only an investigative reporter can uncover stated, with steely confidence. My hat is off to you!  Every time I see your byline I go, Whoa! Like in the old E.F. Hutton commercials: "When [VKurtB] talks, people listen." Remember? I have learned things from you I have never dreamt of. Again, my hat is off to you!

Edited by Quintus Arrius
inadvertent mis-stroke

The OP came here after he was booted over on CT. He had two different user names over there and both were booted. Same dime and he got the same answers as he got here. 

2 hours ago, ldhair said:

The OP came here after he was booted over on CT. He had two different user names over there and both were booted. Same dime and he got the same answers as he got here. 

That's okay.  We all use aliases.  Mine is Quintus Arrius.  I expect that one day, someone watching the old movie classic, Ben-Hur (1959) will suddenly exclaim: "THAT's where that rank amateur got his moniker! Lemme Google that... see, Q.A. was that tribune (Jack Hawkins) that Judah Ben-Hur (Charlton Heston) rescued from a sinking Roman galley slave ship. I thought that name sounded familiar!  He's also on a set registry. No, not ancient Roman coins -- I don't know where he got the unmitigated gall to name his compilation the 'Herostratus Hoard.'  Historically, that makes no sense. What does Herostratus, the guy who destroyed the second temple of Artemis in Ephesus back in the 4th- Century BC, have to do with a modern set of French gold coins?" Hmmm...  We all have an innate need to preserve the characters among us.  Ratzie33, his sidekick, Rizzo37, are all welcome to join the fray if they, and the community at large, have the stomach for it. With other viewers comprising the once cited 150 years of numismatic experience, encompassing all facets of buying, selling, grading -- and unclassified experimentation, every one has a shot at re-arranging the pecking order.  And those who cite the site for its unparalled entertainment value, will not be disappointed.  Participants are responsible: they take a deep bow in the beginning, enter the fray, and exit -- some triumphantly, some licking their wounds, others with tails firmly tucked between legs, again with a deep bow. A resident porter comes by every so often to sweep up the debris and haul away the carcasses, and that is as it should be.  Water seeks its own level, I always say.

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Spelling/grammar

8 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

That's okay.  We all use aliases.  Mine is Quintus Arrius.  I expect that one day, someone watching the old movie classic, Ben-Hur (1959) will suddenly exclaim: "THAT's where that rank amateur got his moniker! Lemme Google that... see, Q.A. was that tribune (Jack Hawkins) that Judah Ben-Hur (Charlton Heston) rescued from a sinking Roman galley slave ship. I thought that name sounded familiar!  He's also on a set registry. No, not ancient Roman coins -- I don't know where he got the unmitigated gall to name his compilation the 'Herostratus Hoard.'  Historically, that makes no sense. What does Herostratus, the guy who destroyed the second temple of Artemis in Ephesus back in the 4th- Century BC, have to do with a modern set of French gold coins?" Hmmm...  We all have an innate need to preserve the characters among us.  Ratzie33, his sidekick, Rizzo37, are all welcome to join the fray if they, and the community at large, have the stomach for it. With other viewers comprising the once cited 150 years of numismatic experience, encompassing all facets of buying, selling, grading -- and unclassified experimentation, every one has a shot at re-arranging the pecking order.  And those who cite the site for its unparalled entertainment value, will not be disappointed.  Participants are responsible: they take a deep bow in the beginning, enter the fray, and exit -- some triumphantly, some licking their wounds, others with tails firmly tucked between legs, again with a deep bow. A resident porter comes by every so often to sweep up the debris and haul away the carcasses, and that is as it should be.  Water seeks its own level, I always say.

We don’t all use aliases. And Idhair mentioned that the poster in question had two different usernames on Coin Talk.

3 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

We don’t all use aliases. And Idhair mentioned that the poster in question had two different usernames on Coin Talk.

Oh, for Chris'sake. DNA, Title III wiretaps, electronic surveillance, user names, passwords. No room for creativity. Once when I complained to a private mint that their check-in procedure was dictatorially coercive, they lamely responded, "We don't do that."  I said, Yes, you do! "User and/or Password must be 12 to 16 characters long, must have at least one upper-case letter, must use a number, must use special punctuation, i.e. *&$!,"ad infinitim, ad nauseam. (That's why people forget; too much to remember what with all the different rules.) He said setting up an account, done by an outside contractor, was out of his control. I have fond memories of being able to walk into courthouses and airports unmolested, and Social Security, without being asked (forced) to remove my footwear. I am certainly not going to get all bent out of shape over someone's use of ten different usernames over a hundred sites. You, and the community at large presumably put your two cents in; we're talking chatroom here, not a breach of sensitive National Security information. Our bosom buddy engaged in questionable behavior. Big deal. It was perfectly legal, wasn't it? Who cares. As one of our number observed: "Life and coin collecting are unfair. Get over it."  Water off a duck's back. Onto the next interesting troll...

Many people do use aliases, my user name is not my real name.  There is a huge difference though between an alias like this, and getting booted on one name and then using another to get back on.  This is clearly a violation of the rules on most sites.

1 hour ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Oh, for Chris'sake. DNA, Title III wiretaps, electronic surveillance, user names, passwords. No room for creativity. Once when I complained to a private mint that their check-in procedure was dictatorially coercive, they lamely responded, "We don't do that."  I said, Yes, you do! "User and/or Password must be 12 to 16 characters long, must have at least one upper-case letter, must use a number, must use special punctuation, i.e. *&$!,"ad infinitim, ad nauseam. (That's why people forget; too much to remember what with all the different rules.) He said setting up an account, done by an outside contractor, was out of his control. I have fond memories of being able to walk into courthouses and airports unmolested, and Social Security, without being asked (forced) to remove my footwear. I am certainly not going to get all bent out of shape over someone's use of ten different usernames over a hundred sites. You, and the community at large presumably put your two cents in; we're talking chatroom here, not a breach of sensitive National Security information. Our bosom buddy engaged in questionable behavior. Big deal. It was perfectly legal, wasn't it? Who cares. As one of our number observed: "Life and coin collecting are unfair. Get over it."  Water off a duck's back. Onto the next interesting troll...

Talk about “getting over it”, I corrected a misstatement you made and noted that the poster didn’t have just one alias. Then you posted all of the above. You might try taking your own advice and there’s no need for name calling.

Edited by MarkFeld

39 minutes ago, l.cutler said:

Many people do use aliases, my user name is not my real name.  There is a huge difference though between an alias like this, and getting booted on one name and then using another to get back on.  This is clearly a violation of the rules on 

2 hours ago, MarkFeld said:

Yeah, you're right. (That's got to be a Federal felony...)

32 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

Talk about “getting over it”, I corrected a misstatement you made and noted that the poster didn’t have just one alias. Then you posted all of the above. You might try taking your own advice and there’s no need for name calling.

Mere terminological inexactitude.  And my reference to troll was not directed at you but to the op[erative] denounced as such by others in prior posts. (I am neither smart nor sophisticated enough to engage in name-calling). If I wanted to engage in tomfoolery, I would refer to you as "Deep Throat," but your last name ends in "d," not "t" -- and you're probably too young to remember Watergate, the FBI, John Mitchell's fall from grace and Nixon's resignation, anyway. Two things continue to mystify me... the mad scientist VKurtB's experimentation with acid baths and, quite frankly, his magical collection of fonts from which he drew that outsized "ME"!  As Tommy said to Henry Hill after throwing a pedestal ashtray at the waiter in the movie "Goodfellas":  "You're supposed to be doing some of this, too." To the viewers who've enjoyed this errant thread, as Jimmy Durante once famously said, "You ain't seen nothin' yet!"

1 hour ago, l.cutler said:

Many people do use aliases, my user name is not my real name.  There is a huge difference though between an alias like this, and getting booted on one name and then using another to get back on.  This is clearly a violation of the rules on most sites.

Alright, alright. Maybe all such rule violators ought to be drawn-and-quartered, or, at the very least, publically humiliated.

Quintus:  I watch and wait for the continuation of this saga.  "mad scientist VKurtB's experimentation with acid baths and, quite frankly, his magical collection of fonts from which he drew that outsized "ME"! "

I love it!  Good show.

PS:  There's some people on this forum who get a little touchy about things.  I first signed on in 2002 and by 2005 I was gone.  Guess it just gets too heated.  Besides, people should have found the humor in this.  And BTW folks there a tens of thousands of posters out there operating under various nomme de guerres

Edited by Alex in PA.

Stick around.  This one's really interesting.  We have a OP that has two screen names.  I'm shocked.

:roflmao:

Edited by Alex in PA.

11 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

Quintus:  I watch and wait for the continuation of this saga.  "mad scientist VKurtB's experimentation with acid baths and, quite frankly, his magical collection of fonts from which he drew that outsized "ME"! "

I love it!  Good show.

PS:  There's some people on this forum who get a little touchy about things.  I first signed on in 2002 and by 2005 I was gone.  Guess it just gets too heated.  Besides, people should have found the humor in this.  And BTW folks there a tens of thousands of posters out there operating under various nomme de guerres

Thanks for the perspective, Alex. My sincerest apologies to RichieRich2020 and all the contributors who logged in only to find the thread had been hijacked. I am going to step aside graciously now and allow the original Rosy with the special matte finish issue to continue.  Carry on, gentlemen.

20 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Alright, alright. Maybe all such rule violators ought to be drawn-and-quartered, or, at the very least, publically humiliated.

No need to get in such a huff, nobody said it was a hanging offense.  When you join an online forum though, you agree to abide by the rules.  Simple as that.