• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Toned morgans

6 posts in this topic

I am still learning a lot here and from what I understand this is a very heated topic so here goes. 

My father collected coins in the 50s and 60s. He placed a lot of his coins in old small yellow envelopes and bank bags he had. Now when I finally got them, they are all toned beautiful colors. I took them to a local shop and the guys laughed at me and put my father down saying they are artificial. 

So my question is, the coins have been in bags for 50, 60+ years and not touched, how is that artificial toning or any different from them sitting in a vault for the same amount of time? 

Screenshot_20200725-124836_letgo.jpg

Screenshot_20200725-124853_letgo.jpg

Screenshot_20200725-124912_letgo.jpg

Screenshot_20200725-124929_letgo.jpg

Screenshot_20200725-124943_letgo.jpg

Screenshot_20200725-125000_letgo.jpg

I can not speak as to whether the toning was done artificially or not as I am still new to a lot of this. So I will leave that to one of the more experienced people. As for whether NGC or another TPG grades toned coins, yes they do. As for the it being worth sending in, to me, that is completely a personal choice. It cost about $30-50 per coin with shipping. My limited knowledge again I can't give an approximate grade, but you can check the NGC price guide for reference https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/united-states/dollars/49/. From my understanding the prices listed are retail and you should probably expect half of that when selling.

Artificial toning does much more damage to a coin an dis just the same as adding a mintmark to a coin. The coins above are technically damaged coins, but that doesn't mean they are considered damaged coins.  NGC and PCGS do still grade coins like these, but it's a toss up if it comes back in a body bag. Toning really comes down to how pretty it looks and if it detracts from the coin's design, like rainbow toning around the rim away from the devices. Either way, these Morgans aren't worth being graded. The grading fees are to expensive for a common coin.

I would not recommend having these submitted for grading, very common dates that would need to grade MS65 to break even on the cost.  As to the toning, toning can add to the eye appeal aspect of the grade but I would not consider the three you have shown in your op to exhibit attractive toning.  While not automatically artificial I can see why the shop you took them to would reach that conclusion, none of these have the "look" of a coin properly stored.  The colors are generally wrong and there is no color progression that many look for in naturally toned coins.

Edited by Coinbuf

It doesn't specifically matter how the toning got there.  What decides whether it's deemed "artificial" or not is just simply how it looks to a professional eye.

There has been gallons of internet ink spilled on the argument of what is "market acceptable" and in reality, that's the only thing that matters.