• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Maroon Discoloration on Early Copper
1 1

15 posts in this topic

I've noticed colonial coins that have areas of maroon discoloration. I vaguely recall seeing this on other copper as well. The coins in question aren't details graded. Any idea what causes this, what I'm seeing? 

"Maroon discoloration" occurs when coins are left isolated and unappreciated on a lonely safe deposit box island. The get sad and morose (another color, darker than maroon) and eventually some turn green with envy at other coins that are more cared for and cherished. Marooned coins come not from Treasure Island or even Gilligan's Island, but from the Land of the Lost.  :( 

The area at 2 o'clock is something I've seen before. Had always thought it was inherent, due to the poor quality of the planchet, but wonder if it is PMD of some sort. 

lf (4).jpg

Edited by LINCOLNMAN
clarify

I have always been told the same that the poor planchet quality results in coins that look like this.  In truth that may certainly be possible but it is a 200 year old coin so who knows what kind of environmental conditions this coin has been subjected to.

On 7/25/2020 at 5:35 PM, RWB said:

"Maroon discoloration" occurs when coins are left isolated and unappreciated on a lonely safe deposit box island. The get sad and morose (another color, darker than maroon) and eventually some turn green with envy at other coins that are more cared for and cherished. Marooned coins come not from Treasure Island or even Gilligan's Island, but from the Land of the Lost.  :( 

Maroon discoloration?

On 7/25/2020 at 5:35 PM, RWB said:

Maroon discoloration? Never heard of this. Kind of like the Binion Hoard only with a less precious metal. Sad.

On 7/25/2020 at 10:41 PM, LINCOLNMAN said:

The area at 2 o'clock is something I've seen before. Had always thought it was inherent, due to the poor quality of the planchet, but wonder if it is PMD of some sort. 

Technically, it is PMD.  But for early copper of that type (New Jersey), it's acceptable to a pretty advanced degree as a reflection of the minting and storage technology of the time.

15 minutes ago, James_OldeTowne said:

Technically, it is PMD.  But for early copper of that type (New Jersey), it's acceptable to a pretty advanced degree as a reflection of the minting and storage technology of the time.

Thank you!

7 hours ago, thebeav said:

I've seen this on Lincolns quite often.

It's never been clear to me whether it means a straight grade or not....... 

The slab above was straight-graded, but then there is great latitude given these old coppers. Often too much IMO.