• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1883 red cameo proof Indian head cent
1 1

36 posts in this topic

@Quintus Arrius you are of course entitled to your opinion but you seem to be biasing your statement on one data point, this thread alone.  Ratzie is a known troll, he doesn't add any value to this forum, he doesn't add to the collective knowledge of the forum and as such is not an asset to the forum.  It takes more than a single data point to form a good conclusion about any subject or person.  Now I don't expect every poster here to provide knowledge, some are here to learn and that is fine and a part of what this forum is here for.  But when people are here just to troll then credibility is lost.

3 hours ago, VKurtB said:

This OP is basically a troll.

He has such a loveable, endearing aspect to his staccato posts that I seriously wonder why some of his biggest critics do not make greater use of the other end of the "Notify me of replies" spectrum, if it bothers them that much. (I just can't see getting all worked up about something nowhere near as ugly as that '21 Peace Dollar in MS-65, reportedly offered on eBay, prompting not a single viewer to courageously exclaim, The Emperor Has No Clothes! It looks like something that had been rescued from a sewer!  Negative Three Eye Appeal! There is room for everyone on this forum. Live, and let live.

4 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

He has such a loveable, endearing aspect to his staccato posts that I seriously wonder why some of his biggest critics do not make greater use of the other end of the "Notify me of replies" spectrum, if it bothers them that much. (I just can't see getting all worked up about something nowhere near as ugly as that '21 Peace Dollar in MS-65, reportedly offered on eBay, prompting not a single viewer to courageously exclaim, The Emperor Has No Clothes! It looks like something that had been rescued from a sewer!  Negative Three Eye Appeal! There is room for everyone on this forum. Live, and let live.

The grade on that '21 Peace is about its lack of contact marks. The "junk", because it is technically toning, is either a neutral or positive factor in this market. I don't like that look, and it seems you don't either, but it is what it is, and the lack of contact marks makes it a 65.

Edited by VKurtB

1 minute ago, VKurtB said:

The grade on that '21 Peace is about its lack of contact marks. The "junk

', because it is technically toning, is either a neutral or positive factor in this market. I don't like that look, and it seems you don't either, but it is what it is, and the lack of contact marks makes it a 65.

Melt value, notwithstanding, to me it has no numismatic value. Absolutely none... then again, I would nominate that coin for a "professional" cleaning however distasteful I find the entire subject. Like you said, it is what it is.

5 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Melt value, notwithstanding, to me it has no numismatic value. Absolutely none... then again, I would nominate that coin for a "professional" cleaning however distasteful I find the entire subject. Like you said, it is what it is.

Cleaning? No cleaning or conserving will remove that. It's argento-sufide family toning. No cleaner will remove it. Enough acid/thiosulfate contact will lighten it, but it is there, and the hobby not only doesn't downgrade for it, they actually upgrade for it. We are currently in Bizzarro World, where early stage corrosion on silver is considered a positive thing. It's all just a waypoint on the way to "black".

Edited by VKurtB

4 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Cleaning? No cleaning or conserving will remove that. It's argento-sufide family toning. No cleaner will remove it. Enough acid/thiosulfate contact will lighten it, but it is there, and the hobby not only doesn't downgrade for it, they actually upgrade for it. We are currently in Bizzarro World, where early stage corrosion on silver is considered a positive thing. It's all just a waypoint on the way to "black".

Short of throwing it away, I would apologize profusely before bestowing it upon an innocent bystander.