• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Repairing old coin - 1795 dollar

17 posts in this topic

I've had this coin for about 30 years, finally got it 'graded'. 

It's a great coin but would like to make it even better.  Anyone know where there is a place to plug the hole?

200130.jpg

I'm curious. Why, after owning the coin in the raw state for 30 years, then recently spending money to have it encapsulated, are you now wanting to break it out of the slab and have the hole filled?

Edited by Just Bob

I am now TOTALLY retired, have a HUGE collection to sell, found out that the coin would bring a lot more $ if it was 'plugged'.   So - it's about the $$ plain and simple.

I don't know who told you that "fixing" it would make it more valuable, the repair will always be evident and the coin will not grade any higher than it does now so there is nothing to be gained financially.  It is what it is, a holed coin, plugging it will just result in a details grade that says holed and plugged XF details.

Yeah, I'm not aware of the "plugged" designation added to the "holed" designation as adding any value. Seems to me like that'd just be adding new abuse to an already damaged coin.

Just a suggestion you can also list it both here (marketplace forum) and on the PCGS chat boards (the BST on that site).  It costs you nothing to list on either site so you have nothing to lose and if you're able to find a buyer you won't have to pay all the ebay fees.  The down side is that as a new member many will have some distrust due to some people that have been burned by scammers from time to time on each site so if you decide to just be prepared to work with any potential buyers.  ITs a great looking coins and I'm sure there are people that would love to have it in their collection.

good suggestion, i haven't been active here except for getting coins graded for the past few years... worth a try i guess.. The last 'damaged' one that i've seen sold was for just under $4000 - damaged rim..

Another possible option is to send it to Great Collections, Ian is first class and will take care of all the little things and can help you in finding a good price point.

Filling the hole will change little except your bank account. Leave it "natural."

On 7/24/2020 at 11:14 PM, fdick96740 said:

I am now TOTALLY retired, have a HUGE collection to sell, found out that the coin would bring a lot more $ if it was 'plugged'.   So - it's about the $$ plain and simple.

I've been down that rabbit hole a few times myself, and it has never paid off.  The cost of the repair + the cost of re-certification with yet another "details" grade will most likely net you little or nothing more than selling it as-is.  And by simply appreciating it as-is, you aren't dumping yet another deceptive item into the numismatic bucket.

Besides, that appears to be a marvelously original example that'll be "ugly" once it's repaired.

Thanks for your input, i tend to agree, i really have enjoyed the coin all these years even with the hole. it beats out some of the 'normal' coins i've seen over the years, eve some for sale on eBay.. I will leave well enough alone...

On 7/25/2020 at 3:59 PM, fdick96740 said:

The 'lady' will remain pure and 'holey'...

:signfunny:

A belated "Welcome to the forum" to you. Feel free to post pictures of your other coins for us to drool over.