• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1999-S 1c PR69DCAM WAM

6 posts in this topic

This is why I ask

1999 1c Wide AM Ty-2 (Proof Style Reverse) This is the RARE ONE!  Same variety type as described for the 1998 above (and 2000 below). MMNS graded MS-64 RB (in my opinion this is an AU) $175.00.  The following are from original brilliant uncirculated rolls: MS64/++ RD $295.00, MS65 RD $350.00, MS66 RD $550.00

From Ken Potter;s Error Coin Website

image.png

On 7/24/2020 at 6:42 PM, Kevine84 said:

The proof reverse on a business strike?  Is that my issue?

That' was the issue.  After 1993 the WAM reverse was ONLY supposed to be used on proofs and the CAM reverse was only supposed to be used on business strikes.  All of San Francisco's dies are made in Philadelphia and in 1998, 99, and 2000 at least one rev die hubbed for making proof coins (WAM rev) was accidently used to strike coins for circulation.  In 1998 and 99 one business strike die (CAM rev) was accidentally sent to San Francisco, polished and used to strike proof coins.  So the 1999 S with a WAM reverse is the normal reverse, the CAM reverse is the rare one.  for 1999 business strikes the CAM reverse is normal and the WAM rev is the rare one.