• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1911 Barber Dime - opinion on condition?

9 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

You were all so helpful with my last post that I am hoping to get some insight on this coin as well. From what I'm seeing these are widely available for sale online and seem fairly common/affordable - The only ones I'm seeing that have high value are graded and in very good condition.

I would appreciate your perspective on the condition of this coin and where you think it may fall on grading scale. Is this a coin you would consider getting graded? 

ps. These pictures are taken through the plastic slip it is in (which is stapled shut) - I did my best to minimize glare. If photos outside of it would be helpful let me know and I will take some new ones - I may put it in a new one anyways as the current is a little dirty from storage.

Thank you!

image9.jpeg

image10.jpeg

image6.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image5.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image8.jpeg

image7.jpeg

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

Edited by Kay!

Obverse looks about XF to me, as such not worth the cost of grading. Reverse is better. Price guide says $30 in XF40. Worse looking examples (to me anyway) have sold in the $40-50 range on ebay. Lots of junk on there; yours is a nice example.

Obverse is a solid XF, but the reverse looks AU. I'm surprised a coin this worn has so much luster left, and I don't see any signs of whizzing or cleaning. Decent coin, but as the price to grade a coin is around $30, the plastic would be just as valuable as what it was holding.

EF-50.

(Kay: this is me initiating you into a numismatic joke. There are more than a few dealers who are prone to grade inflation. I mock this deplorable trend by first giving it the grade it deserves (EF; I concur with the consensus), then in numeric form the grade under which I think some dealers would sell it.)

25 minutes ago, JKK said:

EF-50.

(Kay: this is me initiating you into a numismatic joke. There are more than a few dealers who are prone to grade inflation. I mock this deplorable trend by first giving it the grade it deserves (EF; I concur with the consensus), then in numeric form the grade under which I think some dealers would sell it.)

I may need to add to this joke a bit with a grade for newbies with drunk goggles on : MS70 of course. 😂

An nice EF coin and worth only that. Run away from anyone claiming a higher "grade" even if it is in a cute plastic holder with a smiley-face label.