• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 Kennedy Half Dollar Question
1 1

18 posts in this topic

I know there are some very knowledgeable experts on this forum and value your input. I was going through my Mom’s stash of coins she has collected over the years and lost myself in a bag of 64’ Kennedy’s. Started comparing the grades of my “better looking” coins to those of different grading companies. I actually have several that look as good as the one I have posted. I reviewed numerous auctions for the year and mint of this coin and did get a bit excited. My pictures aren’t the best and they really don’t do this coin justice. Need to work on the lighting aspect..... Would anyone mind giving me their opinion if I should get this coin graded or would I be wasting my time and money. Thank you. 

F09D1B80-E0CB-4E07-B046-50523B900ECF.jpeg

It's going to be a waste of time. Being that you found these in a bag should give you how common these are, even in higher grades. For it to be worth it, your coins would have to have absolutely no detracting marks, and full, bright luster. It has some stains, and many bag marks, scratches, and the like. Just worth silver content.

13 hours ago, VKurtB said:

I have a '64 Kennedy that I sent into our illustrious hosts that had enough nasty hits on it to grade MS63 at best, but it had wild peripheral toning. It came back MS65. I did it to prove a point, but err, umm, I guess I proved "two points".

The "best" part is that the toning continues to develop new colors in the NGC slab. Heck, it's probably a 66 now. :)

Must have been an interesting variation to warrant being graded... 

Not sure where this thread is going. Just wanted to know about my 64’ Kennedy and the possibility of having it graded based on its condition. I can play with the “photo crop” settings all day long and make mine look like a masterpiece but that is NOT the way I operate. My pics are taken on my iPhone WITHOUT ANY effects. Granted, my pics look “grainy” at best but, coin in hand, this thing is absolutely beautiful and I will definitely be sending it in. Thanks!

4 hours ago, Conder101 said:

Please be sure to let us know the results.

Will do  👍

40 minutes ago, Greg Bradford said:

Will do  👍

You will have a net loss of about $10 on the transaction - assuming the silver bullion value is about $20 and the "grading" costs $30.

The coin pictured is absolutely ordinary, commonplace and typically scuffed and marked. A fair "grade" might be Unc-62, but AU is also possible.

Ok. I guess I get it. Maybe people are “pulling my leg” so to speak by telling me to send it in, not sure..... I took it as being serious but maybe I was mistaken. Obviously NO.... I don’t want to waste money but I took the previous comments at honest face value about sending it in. I’m a little confused. 

14 hours ago, Thompson2 said:

Must have been an interesting variation to warrant being graded... 

No, it was to prove a point, aka "win a bet"metaphorically. Another numismatist said toning doesn't affect the numerical grade and I said it did. So I sent it in. It did. 2 points worth. Then. Probably 3 today.

Edited by VKurtB

51 minutes ago, Greg Bradford said:

Ok. I guess I get it. Maybe people are “pulling my leg” so to speak by telling me to send it in, not sure..... I took it as being serious but maybe I was mistaken. Obviously NO.... I don’t want to waste money but I took the previous comments at honest face value about sending it in. I’m a little confused. 

Unless you posted this coin on another thread, no one has told you to send your coin in for grading. Two people in this thread said it would not be worth the cost, another poster implied the same, and two people said to post your results, if you do decide to send it in. (Two others were discussing a different coin.)

My opinion: it would come back AU if that is wear on the high points, and MS63 if it is weak strike.

Edited by Just Bob

The coin is very common and its condition is not exceptional in any way. Therefore, not suitable for grading. Clear enough?

1 hour ago, VKurtB said:

The coin is very common and its condition is not exceptional in any way. Therefore, not suitable for grading. Clear enough?

Clear👍

First, please peruse this. $199 for 21 BU 1964 Kennedy halves, but the seller didn't even get $199. We don't know what the best offer was, so let's just go with $199.00 knowing in reality it was less. Melt, at today's price from Coinflation, is $172.87 for that many halves. Doing a little division, the buyer paid no more than $9.48 per coin, compared against a melt value per coin of $8.23. Looks like a bunch of coins, mostly probably with nicer fields than the posted pic here, got a premium above melt of $1.25.

You see why no one thinks this is even worth much discussion, I trust. People understand that the coin just isn't worth careful examination or consideration, at least from a monetary standpoint. If you like it, of course, that's great; as you can see, you can get even nicer ones for $9.48 or less apiece. For the cost of grading this one you could buy five more nicer ones.

Thank you all for your generous input. I am totally clear about this coin. Going to put this thread to rest now. As always, I appreciate everyone’s time. Thank you.